Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Viffer is not an online player.

/Facepalm
Says who? Apparently all the bios I'm reading about him are wrong then? :p

http://www.pokerafterdark.com/players/match_72/David_Peat

A well know online player who uses the handle "Viffer," David has also become a fixture on the Las Vegas cash game scene.

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/players/david-peat/3843/player-profile.asp

David Peat
Live Tournament Earnings: $277,047
Online Tournament Earnings: $144,592

I realize he's most known these days for live play, but has been no stranger to online play. He's pretty active on 2p2, and quoting him directly from his well thread:

I started playing 1-2 on pokerstars, i had a job and would play at work, i remember going to western union many times and sending in 400$ id play as low as 10-25 cents for about a year, this is back when 2-4$ was biggest game on stars.

ean

ean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why in the world is Norm replacing Gabe?

I can understand that Gabe alone last year was not a good move, but thought they should just bring back AJ Benza or a second person.....come to think of it, has there EVER been a good pokershow with just ONE commentator, except for Ali Najad on Poker After Dark? And that only works because of the planned format to have almost no commentary and let the table talk do the talking.

Or, even if you decide to axe Gabe and try someone else solo, then OK, but then you don't go with Norm, who sounds like a just more boring Gabe. This was just a big swing-and-a-miss by the shows Producers. True it's been only one episode of Season 7 with Norm, but I'm pretty sure my read will hold up.

I wonder why Gabe was take out in the first place?

ean

ean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leo, Daniel is a Stars player so you should see plenty of him still.

I loved Gabe's humor and his ability to talk poker. His relationships with and knowledge of the old-timers like Doyle added even more flavor to it. By himself, he was just too awkward, but with AJ as his foil I thought he was the best poker commentator on TV.

+1

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i watched the first hand. i didn't know they were starting up again or i would of watched it.
i like vanessa, i've watched her play before and she's a very good player.
well daniel and doyle are still there, antonio and barry play in them quite a bit.
i'm surprised dwan's not there because i thought he did pretty good.
oh well. things change all the time.
:party:

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes viffer is an online player and as far as i know he used to play more online than anything....google him
While I agree he has his poker roots in online play, I expect what our favorite egg white & grease laden condiment was getting at was that he doesn't play much online these days. Which is probably true, as just about everything I see/hear of him these days is live. Still, you can't just say he's not an online player as if he's never been one. ;)

i'm surprised dwan's not there because i thought he did pretty good.
Because of the aforementioned FT boycott. No FT pros or affiliated players will be on HSP this season.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Viffer is an online personality but 90% of his play is live

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok..please explain to me why full-tilt has boycotted show. I've heard they were going to boycott, but I still haven't looked up the reason why it happened.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok..please explain to me why full-tilt has boycotted show. I've heard they were going to boycott, but I still haven't looked up the reason why it happened.

Because pokerstars is the primary sponsor this season, which didn't exactly please FT.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Viffer is a big time pool hustler too. He kind of goes where the action is. He was at the Derby City Pool Tournament last month and was backing one of the pros for 17K in a side game.

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Viffer is a big time pool hustler too. He kind of goes where the action is. He was at the Derby City Pool Tournament last month and was backing one of the pros for 17K in a side game.

Lol, do all poker players love pool. I have at least 5 poker friends who I have played countless games of pool with. DN started out with pool, viffer and I'm sure there are many more that I'm forgetting. Aah, PA and ziigmund also. Lol.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started out with pool as well. Been playing since I could see over the table, and I have a Brunswick in the bonus room. I just take it by phases, and for the last few years since finding online poker I haven't had much interest.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya FT didn't want their pros being mixed in with PS pros

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ya FT didn't want their pros being mixed in with PS pros
That wasn't the issue at all -- FT pros and PS pros and DoylesRoom pros et al have always mixed together. This is not an issue on PAD, for example.

It was an issue of PS being granted exclusive (poker) sponsorship of the show. FT was pissed that they were shut out and PS gets the monopoly on advertising on one of the most popular poker shows on TV.

As a fan I'm not sure I support their decision, but I can certainly see why they felt that way.

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i had the same concerns about the new season as most people did but i really enjoyed the first show. i still think they could use 2 people in the booth tho.i was under the impession macdonld knew how to play ,but after listening to him i don't think he can play very well.some good action for sure and am looking forward to the next one

TheDevilsLuck

TheDevilsLuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just watched the first episode online, and I have to say the announcer is just awful. He makes really dumb assumptions just because he can see the cards, and doesn't even notice some things that people might of found interesting. It really brings the quality of the show down. They are lucky they have a guy like viffer though to kick the action up and make it fun to watch.

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no gabe+no, dwan, elezra, or farha=no me

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is just rotten now... I dont know whats worse... Norm Macdonald's monotone useless commmentary, or that some old rich guys are playing poker against the pros on tv....Bravo GSN! you mangaged to pretty much ruin the show!:p

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just rotten now... I dont know whats worse... Norm Macdonald's monotone useless commmentary, or that some old rich guys are playing poker against the pros on tv....Bravo GSN! you mangaged to pretty much ruin the show!:p
Yeah this is all been said before but it's true.They let the door hit AJ in the ass on his way out.Brought in Kara Scoot for some reason(still don't know why).Signed a till with Stars for what ever reason,that brought on the withdraw of the FT pros which i realy don't blame them for that.Then Gabe leaves and replaced by Norm with his boring voice and the driest sense of humor since Seinfeld makes it almost unwatchable.