Any tips to get out of a very bad phase ?.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep the hard work! We all know that poker has its ups and downs, and so has all the other careers... I was reading about a professional poker players that had an amazing year once, everything worked perfectly and he surely made a fortune. But now it's been almost 2 years he doesn't win anything... At least not expressive... Does that make him a bad player? Does that mean he doesn't know what he is doing? Definitely not! Just the variance of the game cought him... If you know it's part of the career you will know you don't have to make a big deal out of it

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe we need to take a break. I used to be like one month going well and not another month. That's why it's important to keep the bankroll managemant. You can't always win. :)

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
downswing can be so hard to deal with. i find i really need to focus on my basics and get back to more simple play style. stop tyring to even out my 3 bet range with 67 suited. play a bit more conservative.s it can be so hard but keep it up you got this!

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set rules and follow then rigidly. I'm talking, specifically, about walking away when you're up by a specific amount or walking away when you're down by a certain amount.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play OTHER poker rooms and completely abandon the one you have bad luck with.
Worked for me :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You must make more breaks in the sequence of the games, and weight more your decisions and be more patient.:captain:

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take some weeks off, get back to game and try to separate emotions from the game. You'll see a drastic improvement

S

Suzana2304

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take some days off, meet friends and drink a lot .

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We need to get through this period...after failures, there should be a white line...believe it!!!

leoronin

leoronin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we all go threw this imo some times a break is needed or i set a limit to how much i will lose to stop for that day poker is skill/knowledge/chance & a whole lot of luck so if your having a bad week just know it wont last for ever have fun play smart & good luck

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you could use a stop so you see things more clearly since you feel that all your hands are bad or you are going to lose before looking at the flop, a stop will clear your mind and help you regain your confidence which is often what that makes us winners, greetings from argentina:cool:

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know since January February, I was exposed 10 times with AA and lost everything, and big banks. I don't know, I don't go above $20. I'm just playing for fun. I'm talking about the poker stars platform. I don't know the other ones, I don't play the other ones.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've already written this to someone, but it holds its place here as well. It’s worth analyzing your game to see if you played really well.

If so, it’s worth going to a lower bet to get the downswing spinning and once the winning streak has begun, it’s worth moving up a level.

If, on the other hand, there are gaps in your game after analysis, you may want to correct the bugs so you can return to a profitable game.

Good luck.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Going to tables with a lower price is the best way to get your head in place, raise your bankroll and then go back to the higher tables, and try to focus as much as possible so as not to take big falls ....

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although it's more about me, I live with parasites. And I'm working on their destruction. It's all about parasites. But they will soon disappear.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the months of january and february i was playing well and winning a few dollars, but from march until now i have not won anything and i am still eliminated with good game in hand and someone always appears to get me off the table. it wiany tips to get out of a very bad phase ?.ll be just a phase or should I take a break from poker.

I would say take a break from poker. At least a month. That is what I am currently doing. Also, read up on poker strategy and try to visualize yourself winning hands. Sometimes you bring yourself bad karma by expecting the worse. Watch some of the final tables on the site you play. Watch the higher limit tables. Watch how the better players strategize. Avoid watching freerolls or low limit final tables. They call with any two cards since its free or just pennies. Good luck!

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tip

My friend do poker for living and he has a period during about a year when he always lose. He was frustrated and was close to stop paying poker and eveneven sta to find a regular job. Fortunately he get in top 10 winners of the tournament went to Cyprus relax and back to poker. He have been playing poker still. So the main idea - be man and be able to get through all the complexity you have know and you'll have in the future.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also like to know this answer, I'm almost in therapy, but in my case and emotionally, I have a loss in the family with little time and I can't console myself and my results are gone

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear ya, Jfofla. The question is this, "Can you really take a Poker Break?" Didn't think so. Every poker player, from beginners to pros, faces this dilemma. But, Jfofla, that is exactly what they do; They Face it! And so can you. You can take a break and read plenty on the matter of poker for a year, and then return to the same dilemma; only, then, you will have added self-doubt to the picture along with its cousin discouragement. Erase the board, delete the upsets, class has started. You are the instructor and also the student. Take note, The day you stop learning on this Earth is when you are standing before the LORD. Keeping that in mind, you are always going to be learning and you can't learn standing there full of self-doubt and fear. Get out there and know You Are The Best! GOD bless you.
Also, I'm not saying to not take breaks, but when and why? I am on a break, as I speak. I'm out camping with wife and children .
There was no bad beat or downslope; there was just plain daily living and family! Pick your breaks, but never because of self doubt or things like that. GOD bless you.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in one now. I'm going to catch up on my philosophy books. :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey jflola,

I hope these 2 videos will help, I made them specifically for this type of situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bi0eQoTpxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQe4A9bc_vU

I also think that in cases like this it's important to focus on your play and now how much you are winning or losing. As long as you keep playing well the luck will eventually shift and you'll catch a nice heater. If however the mindset is 'when will this end' or 'how can I get out of this downswing' you'll often find yourself in a position of forcing the action which doesn't typically work out well. That's when taking time off to get your mind off poker, get your mind off a string of results that don't really matter, and recharge yourself are best.

Evan,

I just watched your video on how to get out of a downswing. Thank you! Your words were exactly what I needed to hear today. Last week I decided to jump in limits ($10 and $20 MTTs instead of $2 and $5 MTTs), and I have been running awful in the larger games. My BR was up to around $1,600 at the time I jumped up in limits and I have now lost about $120 (down to $1,480). I am very similar to the person you describe in your video as being obsessed with my graph and being at a new high all the time. I know the amount of buy-ins that I have lost is quite small, but the $ amount is what has shifted my consciousness to believing that I am in a downswing. I think I am going to take a few days off of poker, read some of my philosophy books, and then come back to the $5 MTTs for a little bit. Build up that confidence and then get back to stacking!

Thanks Evan, you are very valuable to this poker community. :)

Jordan

AngelaDavies

AngelaDavies

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have received very good advice, I don't even have anything to add.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Evan,

I just watched your video on how to get out of a downswing. Thank you! Your words were exactly what I needed to hear today. Last week I decided to jump in limits ($10 and $20 MTTs instead of $2 and $5 MTTs), and I have been running awful in the larger games. My BR was up to around $1,600 at the time I jumped up in limits and I have now lost about $120 (down to $1,480). I am very similar to the person you describe in your video as being obsessed with my graph and being at a new high all the time. I know the amount of buy-ins that I have lost is quite small, but the $ amount is what has shifted my consciousness to believing that I am in a downswing. I think I am going to take a few days off of poker, read some of my philosophy books, and then come back to the $5 MTTs for a little bit. Build up that confidence and then get back to stacking!

Thanks Evan, you are very valuable to this poker community. :)

Jordan

I played a $1 MTT today and finished 1st out of 200 ish. The $46 recooped about 1/3 of my downswing, but most importantly my confidence is back! Nothing like winning a 200 person MTT (regardless of buy-in)! :)

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing is an unpleasant thing that anyone who has ever played poker has to deal with. For some, this is just an element of work, and depending on your professional level, you practically do not pay any attention to it. For others, it’s an element of the game, for the sake of which (perhaps without even realizing it) people play poker, since the likelihood that a person can lose everything increases adrenaline in the blood and thereby intoxicates the players.

Poker Tips