All-In Preflop: Pocket Aces

Rockbuster

Rockbuster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jon they may win small pots but is better than losing big ones...Today in a tourn cc charles called my AA all-in with kq os.........He hit a pr of kings on the board and my aces cracked and i was out................Rock

dohmann

dohmann

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in with AA preflop with 10/20 blinds is usually a waste of potential. I agree with the original poster that a reasonable raise will at least entice a few extra chips into the pot. If there's another with a hot hand, the all-in play is always available.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rockbuster said:
Jon they may win small pots but is better than losing big ones...Today in a tourn cc charles called my AA all-in with kq os.........He hit a pr of kings on the board and my aces cracked and i was out................Rock
yeah sorry bout that rock :eek:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am always happy to sit at a table with folks who like slowplaying A's. I get to learn so much new profanity when someone catches a set or 2 pair or a straight or a flush or a ------------------. Anyway call me we can get a game going. Slow playing Pocket A's is bad for your pocket book and your psychic health.

Scouse

Scouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How Unfair?

MackemMan said:
Interesting stuff guys. I'm fairly new to poker and every little tip helps. My main problem is not when it's me raising, re-raising or even going all-in. It's when the numpty (or numpties before you go all-in and your'e sitting with pocket rockets. You can't just fold them (never have and never will before flop). You gotta call. 80% of the times I have been beaten. How fair is that?

Still, I do slow play a lot of the times I pick them up (once the all-inners have gone from the tourneys) and they still seems to get beat. Must be my luck lol.

MackemMan
It's not fair, if you were playing heads up, but I get the feeling there were quite a few people all-in when you did this. Ultimately poker is a game of chance as well as skill. You could be a very good player and never get dealt a winning hand. (Unlikely but possible).

I have folded in those positions if I am very close to the bubble (tournaments obviously). The more people you are playing against, (and if they are all-in their decision has been made - you can't bluff someone all in), the greater your chance of having your aces cracked.

I have mentioned this in another post but I'll repeat it here because it warrants being mentioned again.

If I am not mistaken, in a heads-up situation, a pair of aces is expected to hold up 75% of the time. This means that in a heads up situation, one out of four times, they will be cracked. If there are more people playing, the chances of you losing increase - you don't have to be a math wizard to work this out.

Finally, the whole point about position is that you use it to your advantage - taking as much information in as possible. Unless you are making the heavy bet, raise or moving all-in first or second, why should you feel that you need to risk your stack against five or six players? Poker is not going anywhere and there will be many more hands to play. I will risk it now and again, depending on a whole range of factors, but I certainly know what I am getting into and when I lose I take it a bit better than some people I have witnessed – because I knew it was a risk.

Sorry for saying this, but I think when people feel that you simply must call with aces and that there is no other option I feel like they are limiting how far they can develop as a poker player. You should be ready to contemplate anything at the table, most of all folding.

Please don’t feel that I am targeting anyone, I am just trying to play a bit of “devil’s advocate”. Everyone seems to think aces are the be all and end all, when I don’t think that they should be played in every possible situation.

I will agree with the original post by JonSherwood and say that many people do play aces poorly (especially early on in tournaments), but the point is you want to limit how many people you are playing against, but not be left on your own with only the blinds for company.

F

fou7772000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
we all lost with pockets aces,so we say no more, i am happy to steal blinds with my pocket aces better than losing,but i think position and how many players are in the hand will determine how do you play your aces ,so if you are under the gun, a big raise WITHOUT GOING ALL IN is enough to scare the''chasers'and if the flop is favorable bet or go all in,in late position ,aces are so easy to play,remember aces don't like too many players,so if there only 2 or 3 players i think you have big chance on winning but if you see there is more than 3 players it's time to go all and not give a chance for the weakests hands to beat you

Glo Bug

Glo Bug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket aces are the best and worst starting hand. I have been beat more with them than winning with them. I hate thise cards unless a ace comes out on flop. Heres is one example. i had aces b4 flop bet a nice amount and get called by one guy. i say ok. flop comes AKK. wow boat right. well i bet even more. and i get called by the guy. im like hmmm does he have a K or 2? well a duece comes out on turn and i bet all in, by the way he is chip leader in the money game and i am in second. well he calls and the carss turn and he has pocket 2's, so he has boat of 2's. wellguess what comes out on river a 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. i was pissed i cant believe he called all my bets when he didnt hit shit till the turn. well this is my sob pocket rockets story. Boo Hoo. i ahte em un less i win LOL
ACES
Glo:withstupi

Scouse

Scouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here Here!

fou7772000 said:
we all lost with pockets aces,so we say no more, i am happy to steal blinds with my pocket aces better than losing,but i think position and how many players are in the hand will determine how do you play your aces ,so if you are under the gun, a big raise WITHOUT GOING ALL IN is enough to scare the''chasers'and if the flop is favorable bet or go all in,in late position ,aces are so easy to play,remember aces don't like too many players,so if there only 2 or 3 players i think you have big chance on winning but if you see there is more than 3 players it's time to go all and not give a chance for the weakests hands to beat you

I agree completely.

CYP05

CYP05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
See my sig LOL. I hate pocket Ace's. I will go all in every time just hoping to at least steal the blinds. Maybe this is a bad play I dont know but I do know if I slow play them I get burnt or in my mind I get burnt about 80% of the time which is why I hate them. It could just be that Im still new to poker, but I go all in every time with them.