AHK Scripts on Vista

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, this is for all u AHK script guys. I recently got a new computer with vista on it and cant get the StarsAutoReloader and the BetPot script to work on it. Worked fine on my XP computer. Tried redownloading and copying the files directly from my old PC. Anyone know what the trick might be to get these working again? I cant really start multitabling again without them.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sry, just figured it out, damn vista and having to make everything run as administrator. Such a pain

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Run as admin. I think that's the solution to everything with vista.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My laptop came with vista as well. I made the upgrade to XP about a week after I got it and saw how crapy vista was. At least now I think it's compatible with the software I couldn't run, but the permission crap sounds like it's still there.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Vista is great, and mostly undeserving of the bad rap it gets. And this comes from a decidedly "anti-Microsoft" geek who has run linux for 12 years now.

Now that it has had time to mature, and Vista-compatible drivers and software are the norm, the only real issue I have with Vista is its attempt at "greater security." IMO this is its biggest problem, and of dubious value. How many of you blindly click OK at a UAC escalation prompt without any idea of what it's doing? Kinda defeats the purpose, but that's the inevitable result -- users are left with the decision to click OK if they want something to work, so they don't have much choice, and then after awhile clicking OK becomes a reflex action to them. I've seen that sort of user complacency enough in my 20+ years in the software development and engineering field -- if you make something a nuisance, users will ignore it or work around it.

The key to a positive Vista experience is to disable UAC immediately after installation (NOT later after lots of Apps are installed) and make sure your user account has Admin privileges. At this point things are no less secure than XP was, likely more so due to some architectural changes in Vista that improves security a bit under the covers. As long as users are security conscious and aware of sites they're visiting, their downloads, and the e-mail attachments they open, they should have no issues. Particularly if they run an up-to-date AV and anti-spyware toolset. This alone would alleviate most of the Vista headaches people run into.

I have Vista running on 3 of my PC's and have zero issues with any of them, but I configured Vista properly from the get-go.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you need to do is convert the AHK script to an EXE file first.

THEN from there run the EXE as an admin. That should do the trick for Vista.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you need to do is convert the AHK script to an EXE file first.

THEN from there run the EXE as an admin. That should do the trick for Vista.
While that might work, I'm not sure that would be necessary if AHK is run with Admin privileges, because any scripts it runs should run within the context of the AHK process itself, and would have Admin privileges by default.

Any problems beyond that are likely due to UAC. Being an admin doesn't keep UAC from interfering, the only way to do that is to disable UAC completely. But because of how UAC not only prompts for permission escalation, but also virtualizes parts of the filesystem as well as the Windows registry to prevent rogue processes from overwriting user programs and settings, disabling UAC after you've installed applications leads to other issues when those programs can no longer find their dependencies or settings. So disabling UAC for good is really only recommended after a clean Vista installation, which I know is a pain, but taking that plunge will result in a mostly pain-free Vista experience for most people.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure running them as .exe works all the time. I know some do, but I was told not all of them will work if you convert them, meh.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got everything working by allowing everything to run as admin, disabling UAC (After i installed some things all seem to be running fine still), disabling the aero thing and setting border padding to 1. Now if I could just stop bluffing rivers all the time I would be fine :).