Advice For Starting Out Online

B

Black Panther

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
G'day Forum

I have been playing a weekly tourney down at my local pub, which has about 40 players. After learning the basics, and getting somewhat better, I want to try online poker, in order to get my experience up and to see whether or not I have any chance of making it online.

I have recently signed up to poker stars, and I am hoping people might be able to give me some advice as to where i should start, bearing in mind that I am still learning and dont want to risk too much money.

Should I be concentrating on Tourneys, or Fixed limit cash games, or no limit cash games, or sit n go???

From what I have observed, each game is different in its own unique way, and I am just trying to work out exactly what I should be concentrating on as a newbie.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play what you enjoy.

Ring games are going to give you a more consistent win record. You won't win as much compared to your buy-in, but you will win on a much more consistent basis.

In tournaments you'll win prizes worth several buy-in's, but on a less consistent basis.

I win more in ring games. Yeah, I'm putting more out there, but I never need to bet it all. Whereas in tournaments I'm playing live-or-die with the entire buy-in. Tournaments also get to a point where the blind and antes are so big that you *must* make life or death decisions, so there's more luck involved. That decreases any edge you have on your opposition.

But what it all boils down to is what you enjoy more. Find a balance that makes you happy. If you like tournaments, play them. If you like rings, play them. If you like MTT's, play them.

There's plenty of information on this site regarding bankroll management. Look that up and play within your limit.

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
G'day Forum

I have been playing a weekly tourney down at my local pub, which has about 40 players. After learning the basics, and getting somewhat better, I want to try online poker, in order to get my experience up and to see whether or not I have any chance of making it online.

I have recently signed up to Poker Stars, and I am hoping people might be able to give me some advice as to where i should start, bearing in mind that I am still learning and dont want to risk too much money.

Should I be concentrating on Tourneys, or Fixed limit cash games, or no limit cash games, or sit n go???

From what I have observed, each game is different in its own unique way, and I am just trying to work out exactly what I should be concentrating on as a newbie.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

One good way to start, which I found, was to play freeroll tournaments on various sites. You will gain experience, and if you are good enough then you can win a bit of bankroll as well.

Victor Chandler do a free sum of money to all new members so you could play micro stakes with that. Just to get the feel of it.

Online poker is very different to playing your mates down the pub in a league. You get to know them, you get to play the same people week in week out and you get to know how they play. Its rare that you will get such familiarity online. You are playing faceless people, some dont have a clue what they are doing. Some are average players. and some can be downright brilliant. You have to adjust far more online than you would live.

As for what you play. I would mix and find the ones that suit you best. I personally love MTTs and do crap in Ring games, so I dont play them that often. The only way you can find out is to try them all and see what suits you best..