A Very Useful Poker Tell for Heads-up Play

noW

noW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mate great great post, I will follow you for sure :). Good stuff over there and well written thread.

A

apokerplayer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a side note, I notice on your blog you say Mike Caro's book on tells from 30 years ago is probably the best book out there on the subject, which isn't saying a lot.

I definitely agree that it's not saying a lot, but I was just wondering: does that mean you don't rate Joe Navarro's Read 'em and Reap?

I am not a fan of Navarro's work. I don't consider him a poker player and I don't consider him knowledgeable about behavior at the poker table. His book was basically just a basic human behavioral analysis book, with very little application to the poker table.

And I actually disagree with a lot of the stuff he says, because a lot of generic human behavioral stuff doesn't apply in normal ways at the poker table. I've been meaning to write a blog post about the main reasons why I disagree with a lot of his stuff; one day soon.

I think that book could have been decent if Hellmuth had actually contributed anything to it other than his name/brand; it reaffirms for me how cynical a venture it was that it probably could have been decent if Hellmuth had decided to really contribute to the book, but he instead hardly put any work into it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, Navarro obviously freely admits that he's not a poker player. I would be very interested to read that post...

C

-cKe-

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting tip! Never really thought about that, but I will definatley try to look for that tell next time im playing live. I usually play a homegame with friends where the quality of the players range from very weak to pretty strong. Hopefully it will give me an edge.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
got to see Navarro live at a Poker show. I thought his work and Interperative and spot on. he provided amazing videos to back this up
Apokerplayer please keep posting. great thoughts.
darkassassin please stay out of this thread

The Messiah

The Messiah

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Have thought about this before back when I was playing a lot of live poker but never in as much detail as you have gone into to, nice post/web-site...

A

apokerplayer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got to see Navarro live at a Poker show. I thought his work and Interperative and spot on. he provided amazing videos to back this up
Apokerplayer please keep posting. great thoughts.
darkassassin please stay out of this thread

You're not the first person I've heard say they enjoyed Navarro's live seminars. Although I am not a fan of his books, I do still consider it possible he has a lot of knowledge to give in a live setting. I am open to that possibility.

I'm curious to hear what kind of stuff he talked about and what he did at his seminars that you found so interesting, though.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one I remember as spot on is what I think he called the Levitation position.His video showed Daniel Neg. raising his body to see the turn and river.
It looked like D.N. was levitating from his chair to see the cards. He had a monster hand.he did show a few examples of same.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a fan of Navarro at all. Only seen him commenting on hands during the ME of this and last year, but frankly unimpressed.

A few times he'd bring up videos and say 'this expression means he's really weak and unsure of his hand, so his opponent can pick up on that'... well ****ing obviously, the guy has been put all in OTR and only has top pair, he can now show his emotions because he is last to act!!

I thought it was funny this year as well, when he said that the asian man putting his hood up is a sign of strength... he then proceeded to put his hood up every single hand.

Just get Antonio and co to discuss the hand after. Tbh, when watching the 2011 ME final table, Antonio's commentary was unreal. So good at reading players.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tip! good read... makes a lot of sense. cant believe i havent thought of that by now lol

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
""But it really can be that easy with some players. And I promise you if you start looking for it, you’ll see it. And you’ll be more likely to see it in short-handed or heads-up play, when people’s guards are down""

Nice insight:)
im gona look for it. thanks for the info

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely going to try to observe this at my donkey infested tuesday night game. Hopefully it'll help me get some much needed dollars!

Poker Tells