A set VS full house

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night I was playing a $3.50 buy-in MTT. At early stage, I open UTG with AJo, two players behind me called. flop cames AA5, I flop a set of Aces. I bet like 3/4 the pot, got myself committed to the pot. one plyer folded and one raised and put me all in. This player I only played with him a couple of hands before this one and he was betting aggressive. when he put me all in, I felt tha he's got A ace as well, did not really put him on a full house which is A5. I called and got sucked out. what the best can I do here, I can't fold this, can I. I just felt so unlucky, dose anyone has the same experience before, what can i do to avoid this variables in poker.

To restate others, you have some terminology problems.
A set is a pocket pair that hits a card on the board. This is a lot better than trips, because you can make a full house if the board pairs, and it's a hidden powerhouse. That is, is someone has an over-pair (a pocket pair bigger than any card on the board) or if they have two pair or top pair/top kicker they will usually lose a lot of money.

You didn't "call and get sucked out" on, you got sucked out on *then* invested all of your chips.

That being said...

You might have played this hand right. It depends on the person you're up against. I run into a lot of really loose players in live games.
If he'd call your initial bet with any Ace, and the stack there with any Ace, you're A/J beats everything but A/K, A/Q, and A/5. He could have A/T, A/9, A/8, A/7, A/6, A/4, A/3, and A/2.
Obviously he could call with 5/5 as well and have you crushed.

However, some players (some women I know tend to do this) will just call pre-flop with Ace/Face because they want to make sure they hit the flop before they bet. If your player does this then you're in trouble post-flop. When they re-raise you post-flop you have to know you're beat. I mean, the best case scenario is that they also have A/J.

ALSO, if the player is aggressive but smart and he sees you as tight, he might call with A/5 but if the flop was A/A/4 and you bet with two players left to act he has to know that his A/5 is beat so he'll fold. His re-raise re-raise shows strength there. OBVIOUSLY a tight player is only going to bet against two players with the trip-Aces or better, and a hand like A/5 against an opener is weak.

So to sum it up, his re-raise either means that he's incredibly strong, or that he's over-valuing Ace/anything.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hate the bet sizing multiway, and if you are only 2 streets deep and in position i kind of want to check back and let one of the other two stab the turn. people go retarded when you check back.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agreed ^

If you've got a player who's calling w A5 then for sure you played it fine imo.

you dont have an issue with the bet sizing? i really like checking and letting them call down lighter or bet for us on turn since assuming it all went in on the flop, we are only two bets deep. If they both check turn we can bet/bet and still get stacks in.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you didn't flop a set. you flopped trips.

didn't bother reading the rest because if you don't know the difference you really have more reading and less playing to do.

but good luck

quite surprised you even clicked on the title then considering set v full house is impossible. (in NLHE, obv possible in PLO)

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tighten that shet up. Consider what you would go all in with pre flop, under the gun., Are you really gonna challenge the whole table with Aj all in? No. So why donk your chips off with it. I see many many many A rag callers when theres no real $ being bet pre flop. I see many more with 22, 33, and yes 55! If your gonna play Aj in that position you need to hit a Str8, flush etc WITHOUT a PAIRED FLOP BOARD as a goal for allowing your chips to leave you. Trips? I dont think so.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
quite surprised you even clicked on the title then considering set v full house is impossible. (in NLHE, obv possible in PLO)

Probably being dense here but how can you have a set v a full house in omaha either?

With regards to OP, in early stages of a tournament how can a raise, 2 calls and a 3/4 continuation bet pot commit you? unless your already shortstacked or the tournament is very shallow.