Had a huge row with Girlfriend over poker tonight!

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going gangster would be telling her to keep the stuff as a thank you for services through out your time together, no;)

This is incredibly rich coming from you, you got sent to buy cigarettes for your neighbour.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have this all the time with my girlfriend. She hates poker even though she knows it's a big part of my life. Tournaments have paid for my last two summers during uni instead of getting a job as well as funding holidays, meals out, presents etc. It's got to the point where I only play one night a week during term time and only ever on days when she is working but we still have arguments about it. I think she would only be happy if I quit altogether.

Iv told you this before but it sounds incredibly controlling, is it the fact thats its poker or does this apply to all hobbies?

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would choose my girlfriend over poker. But in my case she doesn't have any problems with my hobby as long as she can spend a percentage of my winnings in the shopping center. :D

gtothec

gtothec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If she does not support your decisions and hobbies, leave her.
kinda agree here
my wife knows i play and love poker and she has accepted that we come hand in hand now.
she now tries to understand the game more and asks me about sessions so we can kinda share the hobbie.
gl

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, stop playing tournaments and move to cash instead. That way you can always stop nearly instantly when your gf needs attention.

+1. I made the move from playing mostly SnGs/MTTs to cash games. It is so much easier time-wise; you can sit down and play whenever you want, you can get up and leave whenever you want

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had this eposides in my life all the time...She really hated anything that took me away from her...
Every woman I've ever had has been jealous of my guitar. One of them finally explained it to me. The place you go when you play, I can see in your eyes that I can't come with you. And that it's closer to you than I could ever get.

Go figure. Most every guitarist has experienced this phenomenon.

I had no way to include her. She was right. But poker is different. If you include her, she just may start booking your tourneys for you. ;)

-

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When poker will bring significant revenue and you will be able to please your girlfriend traveling abroad, gifts and generally show that this is not just when they will observe in your checkout 10k +, then things will change, but it is unlikely to happen once you are doing this all is a couple of hours a day. This should begin to live!

There are 2 options:
1. Leave poker purely for entertainment. Play as conscience allows.
2. Make Poker main source of income. Then you can play will be a couple of hours a day, but the exhaust will be significant. 12 tables at nl50, for example ... If the girlfriend see that your "sitting behind a computer" brings home sizeable income, then 7-8 hours of play per day will be taken as necessary.

The main thing - to avoid voltage (or a direct conflict) in the family.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every woman should respect the mans decisions! Poker is extra money as you said. And it also can be your profession, so your wife should support you if she want to be with you.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one hand and website and that is all you can do ;)
women are fickle.... trust me I know experience!
Dude it is ONE GIRLFRIEND you are not getting married so dump with her.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facepalm-worf.gif

The1AceJack

The1AceJack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let her suggest a schedule for your poker time and see where she is at. If she min bets, raise her and see if she folds. If she calls your bluff and goes all in, you have a decision to make. Good luck to you.

LOLOLOLOLO... this just had me in stitches.

reading full thread, my two cents soon.

EDIT: okay, one thing I noticed here OP:

You said you've been spending sizeable hours grinding online... so, Tuesday you decide to play a break from poker... by playing more poker (but on a different client.)

I know where you're coming from - I'm not working, atm, either, so it's easy to dedicate your time to poker, getting better, making money, and etc.

But, regardless of the gf or not, you need breaks. Not playing poker breaks.

And relationships take time and energy... I don't like ultimatums of any kind, especially from someone like your partner; but I think I see where she is coming from.

Last edited:
Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everytime I consider a new relationship, I look at stuff like this and remember why Im still single.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You spoke of spending 24 hours to make...what was it? $3.24

You have a child, if I understand correctly. If your priorities are not clear, well, IDK.

I dont mean this arrogantly, I have kids, and my wife gave me an ultimatum. Make money, pay bills (not a dinner for 2 after a month of poker, but like rent and food and car payments and insurance and more... kind of like a normal job) or spend all that poker time on something that willl feed the family. She is right.

Poker is either a hobby, or a source of income. If you can decide what you do all day, and your GF or wife dont like it, your decision. You can leave her in order to have the right to play 24 hours for $3.76.........

but if you have a child....well.........

Up to you. Make your decisions. Prioritize. Some decisions are made, and there is no going back.

IMO, think hard before sacrificing a wife and child, if you making $3.76 is a great poker achievement.

Last edited:
nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well my wife is not a fan of poker, even though i only play freerolls she doesnt like poker, so i had given up the game for a few months for her, and just started getting back into freerolls for fun again since a few days and shes allowed me to play (yes i take permission). Basically spend time with your spouse and balance it out.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all comes down to the truth...You don't wanna listen to her, you just wanna poker! ;)

Q

Quasimodo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends, poker can lead to a pretty lonely life. I'm not going to say that's always the case, but checkout live poker rooms on holiday's. You'll likely see regulars there even on X-mass. If you find so much satisfaction at a table, it's pretty much saying to your spouse, children and even friends that you have better things to do. Its a Quasi-life.

J

Jay65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is if you have already spent a lot of time in the last few weeks, and then you expect to spend the Christmas holidays playing even more, then I can understand her.

Although I disagree with fletchdad when he says poker is either an income or a hobby, it is true that the time investment can be huge.

The christmas holidays are indeed the perfect time to do this, but you can't do it everyday if you have a girlfriend and kids.

The grinding of a budding startup bankroll will require more time and bring in less money.

You might want to take your time and keep grinding in SNGs and MTTs occasionally until your stash is secure enough to switch to ring games, or take the chance to inject it with immediate cash and jump to ring games immediately.

Poker is enticing. When you win you want to spend more time playing, and when you lose you want to spend more time playing. Poker discipline also means factoring in whatever is also present in your life outside of it.

In the end, if you spent several hours everyday of the last weeks playing, and then expect your girlfriend to smoothly accept your will to spend even more time playing the Christmas holidays off, then you will be disappointed.

Besides, the time when I enjoy playing poker the most is when my GF is asleep or out of town to her parents, then I'm alone at home and I can truly focus and that's when I play my best.

Poker, to me, is truly one of the most rewarding forms of "me time". I've made money off of it and it contributed to restoring my '65 Impala SS, so it's a hobby yes, but a hobby that made another one possible with no financial strains and to me, poker has been a hobby, a source of income, and also an enabler of greater things.

Granted, I was single when I played the most and made the most money, but nowadays, I accept my situation and I play only when I can and when I know I'll be at my best.

If you know your girlfriend will be irate that you spend so much time at the tables on Christmas time, your head will not be clear and you will not play your best game anyway.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a thought.....

"Poker" and my wife, my GF, my husband, my life partner, my w/e.

"She/he dont let me be me".....

If there is a rift, maybe look at WHY you 2 have a rift in the first place, not what it is. In other words, put any activity in the " ".

Maybe it is not the activity.....

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a girl that hated when I would play online poker as well. She was really needy though, and didn't want me to have my attention on anybody/thing except her at all times. Come to think of it she hated when i would do anything, unless it involved her, and involved her 100%. Luckily I did not have any kis with her, even though she begged me to get married and have kids with her.
I would say get your life priorities straight before you continue with poker. Maybe try and make a compromise with her, but definitely don't continue with online poker as a primary source of income unless you are actually paying the bills with it. You have a kid to think about man, and starting from freerolling to try and pay the bills will take a LONG time AND most fail at this. Hold down a 9-5 to keep that family supported. Keep this in mind and maybe make that compromise so you can play poker for fun maybe once or twice a week. Then once you are making a decent profit at one or two days a week, and can prove it to her, you can talk with her to increase your poker time and work that 9-5 less and less.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should rest on little on how much play for her. Your relationship with her is more important

chipstacker

chipstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You def made the right decision. What you should of done is give her some incentive to let you play. You should have made a deal with her that a certain percentage of the winnings would go to buy her something nice, like a day at the spa or something women like. That would of made her think twice since poker is all about gaining something if she had something to gain she would have a bigger chance of changing her mind. Good luck and enjoy your holidays must be nice to have a girlfriend to do it with.