95% of online players losers?

J

Jaggot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its too high i dont think so , anyway i lose whole time now downswing , but im addicted by poker , hehe , if u have a poker skill then u dont have to be afraid of those "95%"

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This....probably 84-88% of players lose, this would be both regular online and live players. I never play online but I usually find that in live games, 3 players at the table are bad, 3 are marginal, and 3 are good, and believe me there is a wide range to the "good" definition, and if its a Friday night there may only be 1 good player.
What you mean you never play online? I always see you in the Cardschat Carbon Wednesday freeroll.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess it's more along the lines of:
1-2% are Big Winners
5% are Winners
10-15% marginal winners &/or break-even (no pun intended on the choice of words here)

Just a guess

I think this is probably pretty accurate. Rakeback programs have gotten a lot better in recent years and it allows quite a few people to breakeven or be marginal winners.

I think it's all kinda speculation though. Only the sites really know. My database has 6 million hands in it. I don't have a big enough sample on anyone to really hazard a good guess. I think you need 100k hands on someone before there can even be a discussion.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everyones up lifetime, just ask them

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many people do you know in your daily life or local area who play poker and make an effort to study it ?
Just me and my hubby.
How many people do you know who just play it ?
Roger talks to loads of people at work that play online poker recreationally, but none seem to have read any poker books. Most play tournaments. None of my friends play poker.

J

jsaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting post - I would like to know if there is an exact figure.Since I have never deposited my own money - that is money I earned outside poker I would put myself in the 5%. But does mean I've never lost at online poker - absolutely not. My ring game
results are atrocious (don't play long enough at a table) and my tourney results varty from site to site - some have been fantastic, some dismal. But over all I have taken thousands off poker sites. My biggest losses have not been on the tables but when sites: Spade, Wingows, FT, AP/UB, and others stopped paying out and I had decent sums on them.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is with these losers, some of them losing thousands of dollars at 4NL, I just can't beat them sometimes.

They don't fold and when running bad, with 0 fold equity, I just lose bingo poker with unfavorable turns and rivers falling in. I am lucky to be just down 45bbs tonight in 65 hands.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Mostly players that say they are Winning players.

Simply put many so called "Winning players" are on the loosing end after rake ...

L

Lokhup

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is that the 80-20 rule applies to those who play fairly often and up. The extreme suggestions (95+) probably must include everybody who ever made a deposit and soon departed.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what you consider a poker player really. If you only ever played money addeds/freerolls you could have a negative ROI but still be a "winning" player.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with players who think of themselves as winners but don't keep stats. I would say that the number of losers is greater than the number of winners but among regular players, the ratio would be more even than 5/95.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who stick around long enough to lose more than a thou deserves some kind of credit I guess. Somehow through tens of thousands of hands, they never learn to improve. I mean after you lose your first $100, wouldn't you try to do some research to get better?

---

That said, I love these guys when the cards go my way and hate'em when they don't. I just sat for an hour on a table with 3 fishes... and they are truly three of the worst calling stations around (I have them tagged as such). I finally got KK and got it all in vs. 88. Only to have him flop 567 and then catch an 8 on the river. So in that hour saw 13 flops. Won 1. Bingo poker at its best.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who stick around long enough to lose more than a thou deserves some kind of credit I guess. Somehow through tens of thousands of hands, they never learn to improve. I mean after you lose your first $100, wouldn't you try to do some research to get better?

---

That said, I love these guys when the cards go my way and hate'em when they don't. I just sat for an hour on a table with 3 fishes... and they are truly three of the worst calling stations around (I have them tagged as such). I finally got KK and got it all in vs. 88. Only to have him flop 567 and then catch an 8 on the river. So in that hour saw 13 flops. Won 1. Bingo poker at its best.

This whole post makes me think your actually the fish

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting thread. I think I agree with the Poker Orifice and his numbers. 5/95 is too much to believe. 50/50 too low. So somewhere in between but no matter what the true number is, someone has to lose for you to win and the house is always raking.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess it's more along the lines of:
1-2% are Big Winners
5% are Winners
10-15% marginal winners &/or break-even (no pun intended on the choice of words here)

Just a guess
When I first deposited roughly three years ago everything read was inline with this. Surmised was 10% were profitable players. Dealing with rake and variances for me, was not understood back then.

Those fortunate to go deep in a MTT can coast a long time to stay in the upper 15%. Have some sites that my ROI sucks on. Play those during week after long day at work and really not in frame of mind. They add up quick when your getting close to the payout and think your playing well. Difference from playing well and running well, draws a very fine line to where you fall with that percentage.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This whole post makes me think your actually the fish

I've won at every site I've played. That doesn't mean I am not a fish, but at least I am a winning fish.

Done pretty well at the CC freerolls too.

I am not that bad. Not that good either, but at least in the green.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean after you lose your first $100, wouldn't you try to do some research to get better?
thats what I did lol