is 6 bb per 100 hands good profit?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30k hands would be a good sample size to determine if your winrate is sustainable.

To put that figure in perspective.. People often report playing 4.5K hands in a day multi-tabling.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, this thread reminds me how much easier the games used to be

30k hands would be a good sample size to determine if your winrate is sustainable.

it's really not, to be honest. 30k hands is usually a decent sample for figuring out if you're likely a winning player or a losing player at a limit, but not something to accurately base your winrate off of. to get even close to knowing your winrate, i think you'd probably want 100k hands minimum, 200k would be much better though. since a lot of players move up in limits before they've even played that many, and since the games are constantly changing, having a grasp on your "true" bb/100 at any given time is pretty tough to do imo

a lot of great players have had 30k (and larger) breakeven stretches when it's clearly not indicative of their winrate

bottom line is you should always assume your bb/100, whatever it is, can be improved, that you can improve your game, but if you're steadily winning money over tens of thousands of hands that's pretty good :)

Last edited:
Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after 20k hands at 1c/2c i was running at 10BB(20bb)/100 so it is sustainable.

after 2k hands at 5c/10c im running at 7.5BB(15bb)/100 and im playing only a slightly adjusted game. So even a small jump in stakes my winrate has been largely efeected.
20K hands is not a meaningful sample size by a long shot. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but if you want even 95% confidence after 20K hands @ 10BB, your true winrate will be somewhere between 1BB and 19BB or something.

JaBone30

JaBone30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, this thread reminds me how much easier the games used to be

it's really not, to be honest. 30k hands is usually a decent sample for figuring out if you're likely a winning player or a losing player at a limit, but not something to accurately base your winrate off of. to get even close to knowing your winrate, i think you'd probably want 100k hands minimum, 200k would be much better though. since a lot of players move up in limits before they've even played that many, and since the games are constantly changing, having a grasp on your "true" bb/100 at any given time is pretty tough to do imo

a lot of great players have had 30k (and larger) breakeven stretches when it's clearly not indicative of their winrate

bottom line is you should always assume your bb/100, whatever it is, can be improved, that you can improve your game, but if you're steadily winning money over tens of thousands of hands that's pretty good :)

Combuboom you never let me down with your insite.:D I couldnt agree more with what is said here and would really like to pick your brain sometime.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands