500th Post--Your Ideal Poker Movie

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Following the mandatory introduction, my first CC post ( https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/poker-fiction-160795/ ) was about Poker Fiction.* In that thread, TPC (then known as Triggalos) requested a movie list which led to my second one
( https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/poker-movies-160893/ ).

Since then, whenever we've had discussions about poker films the conclusion is pretty much always the same: other than "Rounders", there aren't many out there and the ones that are out there are seriously flawed in one respect or another. We aren't alone--the critics and general public feel the same way. The fact that most poker movies get a thumbs down all around really blows me away. With so many people so passionate about the game, why do most poker films miss the mark?

So, for my 500th post, I thought I'd conduct an informal survey. What would your ideal poker movie be? What components do you think are necessary to make a movie exciting, meaningful and inspiring to poker players and also attain blockbuster status? We all know what we don't want; this is about what we do want. And who knows--maybe we can come up with something worthy of pitching to Hollywood. ;) :cool:

Here are some questions to trigger your thoughts--

How about a sequel to "Rounders"? What would that look like? An older and wiser Mike McDermott?

Is there a nonfiction book that you think could make a gripping movie? Something based on a book like "Positively Fifth Street" by James McManus?

What about a movie based on a poker novel? If so, which one?

A movie based on a current poker pro's life? Who?

What genre would your movie fall under? Drama, thriller, suspense, romance, comedy, mystery, animated or historical?

What would the plot, the storyline, be? This category, in particular, has been where many of the recent movies have failed miserably. How does the movie begin and end? What happens in between? Does poker propel the action? Is there a theme or message?

How about location? The same place, or a progression of different ones?

Who is in the all important cast? Who is the billed as the star of the show? Or is there a bevy of co-stars? Famous actors or unknowns? Any poker pros? If so, which ones?

What is the compelling name of your flick?

I'm sure you can think of many other aspects--this is just a beginning. Have fun!

* If anyone would like me to update my fiction list, I have probably a half dozen or more titles I could add.