georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
NL$500

(I should emphasize that this is not my hand, I was just observing last night...
A friend and I are debating the hand: I think MP set a trap on BTN, but due to his poor position, the trap didn't fully click...
My friend said MP plays based on GTO...)

So, if you wish, can share your opinion about this hand:

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We don't know what hands the BTN had, but assuming a possible range between Ax, top pair or waiting for a possible ladder and the MP Tania trio of 4 already post-flop, the BTN could bet waiting for a project either a ladder, or a higher trio with full house, since when the river came out with hearts the two players checked and already there we suppose that color kills pairs and trios. Now the mistake was the BTN betting on the post-flop without having a secure project, betting on luck without using the strategy, if when raising and the MP pays it is because it must have something, that is played carefully and analyzing the player in his previous movements and bets. When betting on the flop and the MP calls, in the tour I check and there I can assume the strength of the villain's hand.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MR classically played a small pair that strengthened to a set. Baton is not so lucky. In his range, it is easy to assume the presence of an ace. Having hit top pair with a good kicker or even two pair, he decided to draw from weaker aces and failed sets. His ardor was cooled by the third heart on the river, which saved him from further ruin.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Without seeing the cards that the BTN player had it is difficult to understand where he was during the hand, assuming he had Pocket Kings or Jacks he could have tried to represent the Ace on the Flop and Turn, after raising Pre-flop, but seeing The MP. Player call his bets all the way his only option was to bluff on the River or just give up as he did.

Playing the way the MP. Player had done so far I don't think he would be too afraid until the River card gave a possible Flush out there, Sure the BTN Player could be betting at the Ace with any number of Ace/ Rag hands, but they both could have been betting on a Flush draw which came on the River and playing 3 of a kind after the Flop there was always a possibility that he could catch a Full house.

Basically MP played the right way, checking then calling bets, The BTN player just gave up when he didn't improve and it is difficult to say that if he had bluffed on the River, would the MP player Call an all-in?
It would be a difficult Call but not impossible.

sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Another underestimation of a small pair that moved into a set , with two major pairs on the table....

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good flop hit. I would be even more interested in how the situation would turn out if the player on the button put all in on the river. After all, the board has become more dangerous for the finished hand.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
NL$500

(I should emphasize that this is not my hand, I was just observing last night...
A friend and I are debating the hand: I think MP set a trap on BTN, but due to his poor position, the trap didn't fully click...

There was no trap: MP called into a 4-bet pot having a baby pocket pair and called with a set because it could be dominated by QQ and AA and to realize its equity postflop.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There was no trap: MP called into a 4-bet pot having a baby pocket pair and called with a set because it could be dominated by QQ and AA and to realize its equity postflop.
It´s a 3bet pot.. *duck

First things first.
"My friend said MP plays based on GTO"
The opening size of 3x with 44 from MP is definetely not GTO, 44 is raised barely in that position and if, you don´t want to raise more than 2x.
The 3bet call from MP with 44 is more than borderline, it´s terrible and absolutely not GTO considering the 3bet range of button vs MP.
The preflop play given, my asumption would be that MP is a fish or MP is loose and knows that button is a fish.

On the flop MP has the best hand 95% of the time and he´s definetely just calling because he wants to extract maximum value.
Button can have AA and some QQ, since QQ mostly call preflop. Button also doesn´t have many flushdraws in his range because the ace is on the board and most of his flushdraws would be Ax.
The worse hands Button can have, that pay a raise are AQ (which he barely raises pre) fd´s mainly K high and and AK. Therefore MP can check or raise on that board. But since he has more AQ I guess the check is fine.
On the turn brick where Button bets 75% pot I´d say its 2/3 a jam and 1/3 a call because of position and fd.

River completes the flush - I think he should have jammed there. It´s a good bluff spot and tbh if button jams river, can he really fold as played?

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
NL$500

He couldn't bet the river because the flush fell. If I was holding the 44, I'd have shoved the Turn so if I was called I'd have the Cash Out option available. Both the Flush and Straight could have potentially completed on the River for some pretty sick unfavourable luck...

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
NL$500

I actually agree more with you than with your friend. The check/call on the flop and the flat on the turn imply a trap work.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
NL$500

MP's move is perfect.
Even having a possible flush on the river for MP is a call.
BN's play is also good. Although you can't see what hand you have, it can be assumed that you have AJ, A10, a failed straight draw with a KJ or K10, or also some pair like KK JJ 1010 that generally check on the river because they have showdown value.
Nothing to object, when BN calls the turn either because MP continues to pay him it is very likely that he had the hands that he named you, being in position it is a very normal cash play, you bet 2 streets flop and turn and give the hand finished on the river either because you have showdown value or because you discard your hand because the draw did not come on the river.
In general, turning that hand into a bluff on the river is very difficult 'because when the one who is out of position in this case MP is calling you 2 streets, it is likely that on the river he will not fold his hand, more than anything because of himself. payment on the turn.
Assuming that MP had a scale draw or a flush draw, when BN bet on the turn to 3/4 pot, in that situation most of the time MP folds. But if he called on the turn, on the river being BN you already have to analyze that MP of that hand is not going to fold, as I told you at the beginning, nor that BN would have turned his hand into a bluff due to the supposed flush that came out on the river.
A flopped cash set is usually a hand that ends all-in.
MP caught it, although in general in that hand it is also a reraise with a set on the flop, especially with a set of 444 because it is a low set, and also because having that flop with AQ where you can assume that your opponent also has AK AQ AJ and you know that he won't fold that hand no matter how much you reraise, in MP I would have reraised and gone for my opponent's box. Because also, you go from being attacked to being attacked, which is very important.
My humble opinion about the hand. Greetings colleague:):):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands