Are you a GTO or instinctive player?

olehaha

olehaha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
I have a question: Is it really easy to benchmark GTO? Even high-stakes cash game pro players still have to review their hand after playing. I tried it but it's really difficult. If you are a GTO player, can you guys give me some advice? Many thanks

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I try to play GTO, but mostly of the times i dont know what is it.. :p

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO is extremely difficult to execute, but knowledge of GTO helps with many concepts that improve your game.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing GTO is hard. Especially on later streets, learn preflop and flop first. Though make sure to deviate, e.g. if your opponents aren't 3betting the GTO frequency (as if often the case) then you can overfold to their 3bets.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I advise everyone to learn and play GTO, but you also need to have a strong intuition against opponents because sometimes intuition will tell you a lot about your opponent, and you need to learn GTO for yourself to know how to play and where your skills will do everything for you next

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and what limits do you play, the GTO game is difficult, but I have repeatedly heard that at low limits it is of little use

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rather play instinctively, I know the basic mathematical rules of poker, but not the deep ones.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It can be useful to learn at least basic GTO-play to know when to deviate and change to exploitive play.

If you sit at a table where you don't find a reason to switch to exploit: change table!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play purely for Fun! Poker is nothing more than a Hobby for me to enjoy, when I am in the mood for a Game. GTO and Variance just goes way over my head because I play by Instinct, For example I played a 9 player SnG the other day just so that my pokerstars reward chest would stay active, It didn't matter to me if I was 1st out or I won it, because PS get their rake and I kept my chest Active.
Heads Up, I made a simple remark (GG) and I was on the small blind my opponent on the BB, I limped with Q/9 off and he shoved all-in, Now in some situations I might have just folded the Q/9 off and waited for a better hand, but! because I had achieved what I wanted to do, I just said "blow it!" and trust the Poker gods, So I called, he turned over Ace/Jack and I paired the 9, Game Over!
Having achieved, everything I wanted, It really didn't matter If I busted out with that Q/9 off, 1st place or 2nd, I really didn't care, I was in profit with either position. That is why I play purely for Fun!

When the Fun Stops, STOP! :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play purely for Fun! Poker is nothing more than a Hobby for me to enjoy, when I am in the mood for a Game. GTO and Variance just goes way over my head because I play by Instinct, For example I played a 9 player SnG the other day just so that my PokerStars reward chest would stay active, It didn't matter to me if I was 1st out or I won it, because PS get their rake and I kept my chest Active.
Heads Up, I made a simple remark (GG) and I was on the small blind my opponent on the BB, I limped with Q/9 off and he shoved all-in, Now in some situations I might have just folded the Q/9 off and waited for a better hand, but! because I had achieved what I wanted to do, I just said "blow it!" and trust the Poker gods, So I called, he turned over Ace/Jack and I paired the 9, Game Over!
Having achieved, everything I wanted, It really didn't matter If I busted out with that Q/9 off, 1st place or 2nd, I really didn't care, I was in profit with either position. That is why I play purely for Fun!

When the Fun Stops, STOP! :)
People play for different reasons.

For me, it's never really been about the money BUT I've always wanted to WIN! I play to win! That's what got me hooked on the game. I enjoyed the competitive nature of it and the fact that if you put in more time, you got better and winning more often was the result.

Curious about the hand in question you've posted. One crucial thing in poker is to 'always think ahead' in the hand. Know how you're going to react to your opponents prior to their turn. (ie. If you open for a raise and get 3Bet, know how you will respond to each & every player who is still yet to act on your table).
So back to the hand in question (the one you've posted).
I'm assuming stacks are very short here. So instead of Limp/Calling the allin here, why not just 'open shove'? It's not like you're inducing a worse hand to rip it in on you here with the monster Q9o. But no doubt it's good enough to get it in with. The thing is, if you open shove with it, you have TWO ways of winning the hand, vs. just one. (villain can fold to your shove, or you can draw out on them... (win a flip, etc.)).
Limp/calling it off (in that spot) is not a 'winning' way to play.

For me, playing to WIN = Fun! And when I'm not winning, it is NOT fun. lol.

PS - I'd be happy to help you with your game if you're ever interested (for free of course). From one old fart to another.