Why is it so difficult to drop a Top Pair?

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no shame in giving up your letters. Many beginners continue to bet or pay knowing that the chance of winning is minimal. Sometimes there is Flush Drow on the board, sometimes there is Straight Drow on the Board, it's still like that, I can not fold my Top Pair or Two Pair.A very important skill for beginning Texas Hold'em players is the ability to read the board. This means being able to look at the community cards on the table and calculate the strongest hands possible:deal:.
reading the board for best possible hand and having the ability to fold top pair whether its AA or KK is v imp. ive seen ppl go allin once they get AK and hit nothing. so putting sp much value in your hand when the board dictates otherwise is recipe for disaster

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament anything over 60BB with a big pair/top pair I think is inappropriate to stack off on post flop. Because you got plenty of time to get nutted and double up or better.

Top pair is a strong hand in NLH but is next to worthless in Omaha.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it is the best that I obtain.
And now imagine 75% of your opponents say exactly the same.
They haven-t played enough!!!!
Maybe they experienced 2 weeks, and not even one hand won, although they went all/in with "only good cards"(68S, TQo and so on)
They know (not by reading) that the chance for two players not hitting the flop is 40%, hitting it only 33%.

So they hit the highest card on the flop, they have been beaten several times before in their pokerlife with second or low pair, and now THEY have the NUTS. They have never ever seen pocket aces or JJ if TEN is the highest pair, maybe, or they just blend it out.

THEY HAVE THE NUTS!!!!:icon_flow And I will get their chippies...

I have more problems with the guys shoving all in on the flop with AK, although they didnt hit anything

Last edited:
Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no shame in giving up your letters. Many beginners continue to bet or pay knowing that the chance of winning is minimal. Sometimes there is Flush Drow on the board, sometimes there is Straight Drow on the Board, it's still like that, I can not fold my Top Pair or Two Pair.A very important skill for beginning Texas Hold'em players is the ability to read the board. This means being able to look at the community cards on the table and calculate the strongest hands possible:deal:.

And on top of it, as most of these players are used to shove all/in with NOTHING, anyway, once they have already contributed to the pot , they believe everybody does the same! So you are a BLUFFER, despite good players know your range!!!.Reading the board? Which board? Reading opponents? For what? I AM THE MAN!!! I can play everything, i had a great day and if I loose my wife will be punished.:eek::eek::eek: I guess most don-t even have wifes, so don/t blame me on that, you know, what I mean!

P

peeetiee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hy!
One Top pair is still only one pair. It´s the lowest count besides single card. You can be beaten by ANY combo. I don´t bet more than one third of my stack when I have only one pair. Lost too often with AA....
A good fold is worth more than a bad call.

By

C

Cblevs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hardest hand for me to fold is AA any other hand if I don't hit a set on the flop I'll usually fold. I don't know what it is but it kills me when I get that hand and can't fold it and wiff.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on your reading skill, If you are a good reader you fold top pair, aces, sometimes seminuts

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your reading skill, If you are a good reader you fold top pair, aces, sometimes seminuts
lot of new players find it hard to read their opponents well and thats what differs pros from amateurs. the ability to fold pocket aces when u know your beat is one way to improve your overall game. most time ppl who get top pair shove all in and end up loosing to 2pairs or higher

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And now imagine 75% of your opponents say exactly the same.
They haven-t played enough!!!!
Maybe they experienced 2 weeks, and not even one hand won, although they went all/in with "only good cards"(68S, TQo and so on)
They know (not by reading) that the chance for two players not hitting the flop is 40%, hitting it only 33%.

So they hit the highest card on the flop, they have been beaten several times before in their pokerlife with second or low pair, and now THEY have the NUTS. They have never ever seen pocket aces or JJ if TEN is the highest pair, maybe, or they just blend it out.

THEY HAVE THE NUTS!!!!:icon_flow And I will get their chippies...

I have more problems with the guys shoving all in on the flop with AK, although they didnt hit anything
i used to raise more then 30% my chip stack preflop or even go allin when i used to get AK. Now after more experience, i do not give tgst much value to AK. its a great starting hand but unless i hit something on the flop, i will fold AK if opponent bets big on the flop.