Why Do Villains Constantly Try to Steal From SB?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed some guys constantly open (50%+) from SB against me. I know I lean on the nitty side, but I am not so nitty that I just get run over.

All I have to do to adjust is call wider, and depending on texture float the flop, and take it away on the turn or river if they slow down.

Or I just widen my 3bet range, and the vast majority of the time they fold.

(I mix and match calling or 3betting if I don't fold)

Their upside is the big blind (10c) if I fold. If I don't fold, they are guaranteed to be playing OOP. How is this +EV over time?

Any other benefit to frequent opening from SB?

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Having jut scanned some charts its seems sb opening range is at least 60%.....so that would at least explain the frequency. I assume seeing some flops allows them to hit with a wide range of hands, and have better board coverage. It seems to me like the opponents aren't adjusting very well to your adjustments on their high frequency opens.....but calling 3 bets, 4 betting light and also by potentially playing too predictably post flop.

Sounds like you are basically out playing these opponents post flop

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have noticed some guys constantly open (50%+) from SB against me. I know I lean on the nitty side, but I am not so nitty that I just get run over.

All I have to do to adjust is call wider, and depending on texture float the flop, and take it away on the turn or river if they slow down.

Their upside is the big blind (10c) if I fold. If I don't fold, they are guaranteed to be playing OOP. How is this +EV over time?

If you know your opponent is folding more than 50% of times to steal when SB x BB, then it is a good idea to try to widen your range and steal more.
The problem is that most of players are aware of it, they know that BB is calling at maximum 30% of times but they also know that players will try to explore this situation, thus we find ourselves in the same old meta game. The ideal is to try to steal at least 50% of times, but as long as opponents are aware of it, we must adapt to reality and try to steal only when it's possible.
Your strategy is good, to 3-bet from time to time against those who are over stealing.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
They are meant to open something like 44% of hands. Many villains probably open more because the population overfold the BB. As you say, you can defend more, 3 bet more etc.

In theory SB should mix completing and raising, but it's difficult to do this well in practice.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
well i supose this is the game in this days , agresive , agresive and agresive :) ..but for me this game works because i always call to see a flop , i like to play flops a lot , maybe to much sometimes :)) and to be honest i prefer this way , because i hate when i have AA in BB and all the players fold to me ....

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Because the BB is considered to have ATCs and will probably fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO Wizard VPIPs 50%, when it folds around to SB in a 100BB cash game with no ante. Its distributed between 14% limps and 36% opens to 3BB. If you want to only raise, you are likely supposed to play a few less hands, but even so 50% is certainly not crazy. And if BB is under defending or under 3-betting, then you can open even more hands. BB is supposed to 3-bet 18% and call 38%. You might want to check out in GTO Wizard, if you are defending enough.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont use gto. I dont find it useful at the micro level I play. Maybe one day if i end up playing against better players.

They probably tagged me as nitty and easy to steal blinds from. Still a losing proposition for them though. I would love to be in position heads up everytime.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Zoom is the worst especially at NL50 and above, there are a shed load of GTO minded villains opening from HJ to BTN and if it's folded round to the blinds you limp you get a 3/4x raise, or if your BB you get it lol.

I play Zoom and I don't budge from my preferred hands... I say hands because it sure as hell aniy no range. I only play suited connectors, pairs (dependable) and AK or KQ. QJ doesn't even get a look in unless it's suited. The reason for this is because online isnt random in my opinion and there are too many factors working against you if your profitable. If it's not a hand that I would have raised with them I don't play it simples....

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
None, you are doing the right thing.
Now answering your question, the point is that BB is generally the place where players have the worst hands and SB is one of the best places along with UTG to exploit premium or semi-premium hands.
Generally the bet of an SB checks when the hand comes clean, because if it does not come clean with opening of other positions usually SB is reraise or fold.
But against BB, SB plays all your hands even if it has a 34s.
At least in cash I have a decent hand, for example an A9s, or K10s, or some pair of 77 66, usually it is always reraise 3 bet. In general, reraise from BB to SB is a fold of SB and reraise from SB to BN is a fold of BN.
So you're on the right track brother
greetings:):):)

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
...Until he/she loses all his/her stack.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Well, it's just logical to just pick up almost free chips. If your opponent is passive, you constantly load him and take his chips, it's also always an aggressive game, and the first move gives you the right to frighten your opponent it's always easier for him to throw cards away