Why 20 buy-ins is not enough

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't posted in a long time, and I won't post again for a long time.

I'll post this to make a point: if you're averagely good, 20 buy-ins cannot be considered safe bankroll management. If you do the math, you'll see that over this stretch of 419,000 hands I ran at 1.46ptBB/100. And I still pulled off two swings that would make the devil cry.

Please go ahead and attribute all (or most of this) to tilt, if it makes you feel better. I used to do that, too, when someone posted a sick swing.
However, having looked over these swings in a lot of detail, I'd give the following numbers:
Swing 1 (-36 buy-ins): about 30%-40% attributable to tilt
Swing 2 (-50 buy-ins): about 10% attributable to tilt

Take it or ignore it.

P.S.: Stakes are all 6-max and some HU, buy-ins $0.25/$0.50, $0.50/$1, $1/$2, $2/$4, $3/$6, $5/$10, $10/$20

Great great post, thank you very much for sharing this and using a picture to say a thousand words. It's really good for people to have a visual idea of just how big the swings can be!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how except under the most perfect situations with the best runs as a great player that 20 buy ins is enough ...it's not surprising to me that the math and stories from pros support this ...IMO 20 buy ins is a shot and not much more ....
Its important to understand the timings of the post. Back in the day there were people saying that 20bi was an adequate number. I think people realised pretty quickly that wasnt the case.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting post ! Thanks for this ! Its really god for peopel understand that not necessary play 20 buy-ins and have a safe bankrool.

Andrey FRIFIN

Andrey FRIFIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play poker in order to win money, then of course you need to play well at a distance, and count your bankroll in many tournaments