Where do you find material to study?

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, how you find material to study poker? recently i bought some e-books like the grinders manual, im enjoying the reading, but also thinking if this concepts and strategy parts are be part in the game now, like i think dan harington cash games, are out dated a little bit, sorry for my bad english, has been years since my last conversation. Im focus interessed in cash games online 6 max.

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi
i think the harrington books are still worth reading.
i play cash too.
i bought the "poker workbook - math and preflop" workbook by james sweeney from amazon. he has a postflop book too.
it is math problems that make you think in terms of ranges. i think it is a very good book for "studying", rather than just reading..

here's an example from his youtube channel where he does a problem from the workbook

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat magnus,

There is plenty of free information available online. Youtube is a great place to find good info from many pros with various topics.

And of course, we have our free course here at CardsChat which you can go through at your own pace.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the beginning I used some materials, even from pokerstars, and I ended up conflicting in my plays, only through the practice and experience of 13 years, I learned from my own mistakes, some doubts I watch videos of Carmanhani and Espessoti

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi
i think the harrington books are still worth reading.
i play cash too.
i bought the "poker workbook - math and preflop" workbook by james sweeney from amazon. he has a postflop book too.
it is math problems that make you think in terms of ranges. i think it is a very good book for "studying", rather than just reading..

here's an example from his youtube channel where he does a problem from the workbook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoG3wvk93LE

I watched one of his videos where he gives a formula, and lets think about that, lol, a formula, lol and goes over it and by the way tells you if you already hadn't figured out already, that you're going to need pen, paper and a calculator to figure the answer out to one of his hands.

And if you haven't figured out that 90% of his stuff isn't for beginners or for folks starting out then I don't know what to tell anyone. He's someone you go to after you can beat the mid stakes and want go higher.

As to the OP, you can buy all the books, watch all the vids, etc but it TAKES TIME TO ABSORB THE MATERIAL, practice it and actually learn it.

If you're looking for a golden ticket then you'll end up saying "they're outdated" in your quest of the latest and greatest without understanding all the good advice those old poker boom books have to offer.

GL on your quest!!

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, how you find material to study poker? recently i bought some e-books like the grinders manual, im enjoying the reading, but also thinking if this concepts and strategy parts are be part in the game now, like i think dan harington cash games, are out dated a little bit, sorry for my bad english, has been years since my last conversation. Im focus interessed in cash games online 6 max.
Personally, I learn only from video tutorials from the Internet and grasp the game about the players on the Internet, by video, in the same youtube quite a lot of information. I think that poker should be fun for me as a hobby, as I can't devote enough time to it yet, I mean 14-15 hours a day. So I don't read any literature, only data from internet. :icon_bigs

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
cardschat training vids have been a great help

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched one of his videos where he gives a formula, and lets think about that, lol, a formula, lol and goes over it and by the way tells you if you already hadn't figured out already, that you're going to need pen, paper and a calculator to figure the answer out to one of his hands.

And if you haven't figured out that 90% of his stuff isn't for beginners or for folks starting out then I don't know what to tell anyone. He's someone you go to after you can beat the mid stakes and want go higher.

Maybe not for beginners? Ok Yeah probably not, but the sooner you do the homework the sooner your game will improve. Similar to reviewing hands where you’ll likely need a calculator. Definitely requires some discipline and effort but worth it. Equity and EV formulas and calculations are not new and are mentioned in most poker books. Being able to assess a range is also an essential skill. This is good practical thought process type stuff that would help anyone “study.”

With a little practice and a few repetitions you won’t need a calculator to get a good feeling in a game. It’s not super hard stuff…. Unless you, lol, have troubles with formulas, lol

Anyways I stand by my original post as actually answering the OPs question by suggesting material for studying poker

Good luck

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well there is a lot of material in online articles and videos, but when you advance in level hire a coach the evolution is much faster;):)

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, for who send me materials and tips to study poker, now im trying to write notes, its part of my method to study anything, so poker i cant imagine me doing anything different. Im searching materials for preflop section now specific, not only ranges, but GTO too, i dont remember if i ever talked about this, but i have a math graduation. Thanks a lot and GL on life and felts.

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My brother passed away over 10 years ago now and he had a bunch of poker books. I wish I had kept them to refer to now that I'm getting back into poker myself. Though I imagine it being a dry read that I may not even be able to absorb. I'll keep an eye on what folks recommend here and consider looking into something more current.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Read books-Roy Rounder "Easy Poker Math " and Alan Schooaker "Your Worst Poker Enemy."

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You could definitely download some PDF's of poker books and when you have utilised the knowledge and made some money go ahead and buy it in paperback format to give back - also their are a bunch of helpful individuals on YT (RYE, Upswing, Johnathan Little etc etc) who provide great research and content - especially some of the higher limit players who walk through their thought process in a hand. You can try emulate how they think about the game and it will have a high chance of increasing your understanding of the game.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t see the point of buying books, because there is a lot of useful information about poker on the Internet

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i didnt buy, with kindle by amazon, i can read some poker books with my subscription only, and was not paid to this propuse, but now i can gain this benefit too, peter clarke book is very good and some contet is same on internet on now day.
My progress today is started use a scientific plataform called Scielo, and now i get some article of GTO in poker and other scenarios.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
awesome, keep practicing and win some money

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a great one for studying, probably why I still playing crappy stakes. Twitch stream and youtube for me. I did get Jnandez plo book and found it interesting and have started to play PLO badly haha

L

lukdrigues

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I use to study seeing youtube videos, like zinhaoo, n00ki5, 7bet channel and some stuff