When to stop the continuation bets?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, yes, yes. The c-bet is a flop bet meant to take down the hand right then, or to figure out where you stand-- after that, a bet with nothing is a bluff. The c-bet will only work a couple of times before it loses respect. And it works best in position, with everyone checking to you. I overuse it, too -- and it's cost me tons. After a bit, the others know I will c-bet after a preflop raise and they just milk me dry. So I am trying to cut back. It's a tool, but cannot be a habit.

pokerlovesme caught the key -- a check shows "weakness." If that is your primary thought, it's an ego thing. Others will use it against you. Don't worry what they think. Consider only whether they will fold if you make that bet. Consider what you will learn by making that bet, and be prepared to act on it. When they call a c-bet, they are likely in the process of taking your chips -- unless you improve dramatically.

"check shows weakness" That is not my thought. That is some of my friends' thoughts, which is a very fallacy ego thought like you said. There are lot of various ways to take down the pot besides continuation flop bets.

kesza

kesza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question. If you got 2 callers on the flop too, on the turn the check-fold is the best option. Or maybe on the flop too at three callers. But I check the turn with two opponents almost every time.. Depends a lot on how tight are those callers.

M

mingyun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This has really helped! I've been c-betting too much.