When to move down a level?

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've picked up 5NL (down from 10NL) the past few days, and have been doing much better. Up close to 10 buy-ins, and my BR sits at $517. In terms of BR, I figure I'm ready for 10NL, but I'll probably play a little longer at 5NL until I completely regained my confidence.

that's good, but i'm not one for moving down. You suffered a 20 buy in downswing at 10NL and have a 10 buy in upswing at 5NL (so equivalent of 5 buy ins at 10NL). If you are happy that you are a good winning player and it just a swing, then you should be going up and down at the same levels, not going down at a high one, then coming back up on a lower one. That's not what a stockmarket investor would do.

joos

joos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's good, but i'm not one for moving down. You suffered a 20 buy in downswing at 10NL and have a 10 buy in upswing at 5NL (so equivalent of 5 buy ins at 10NL). If you are happy that you are a good winning player and it just a swing, then you should be going up and down at the same levels, not going down at a high one, then coming back up on a lower one. That's not what a stockmarket investor would do.

You move down to preserve your bankroll and fallow correct bankroll management techniques. Once 10NL is well out of his BRM plan then he moves back down until his bankroll can take 10NL. Great way not to go bust.

insolitude

insolitude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Actually, the max buy-in for both is $10. I've been pretty strict and conservative with my BR. The decision to move down was as much confidence-related as it was BR-related. I guess I feel like if I'm not playing my best I'd rather play at a lower level until I am back in the groove. When I'm comfortable with my play again, I'll be back at 10NL.