When is it advisable to withdraw from a session?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really believe this all depends on the individual. You need to examine yourself with an honest view. What things can cause you not to play your best ??? Some players like to play for a certain number of hours, some will play as long as they think the game is good, The list can go

For myself, I have different things for live play and for online. Online I will play as long as I am not distracted by something else, TV, phone, doorbell, etc.... Live play, I will stay as long as I believe that I have an edge on at least a couple at the table. I will also leave live if the table seems to "Nit" up, players only playing prem. hands

The only rule I will not break is that I set a stop-loss amount each session, because I know myself and if I begin to run very bad, my temper kicks in and I play worse and chase hands so if I do reach my pre-set amount, I will stop no matter what. This has probably been the best "rule" I set.I only use it, maybe every other month or so but it saves me from my worst losses

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad spell?
When our opponents are as good as us or better?
Before even going into a session, set yourself a limit of how long you'll be at the table for.
Set your number of buy-ins you're willing to lose and also set a ceiling for yourself and stick to it.
Set yourself some limits and you should no longer have to ask this question.

Last edited:
swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I leave when I'm tired or too buzzed to think 100% regardless if I'm up or down.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is always advisable to withdraw from a session when you see that you are losing more than usual ....

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leaven when you are no longer playing optimally.

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you notice the majority of your opponnents on the table are better than you its better to leave.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably the best time is when you either have a bad run,
Have a tilt moment, when you're chasing loses.
or when you're up by such a high amount that you think, maybe its time to call it a day, cause a bad run is always around the corner thats just poker.

But if you have a bad run and you get the urge to win it back right away and thats all you think about, its better to turn you pc off right away :)

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should observe yourself and your emotions and if they start to get out of control take a small break, try to do some deep breathing or meditation, relax then try again.

Then in my opinion if it gets worse you should just quit.

I also believe in booking wins if you have a compounding tilt problem like me and need a few consecutive winning days to get some confidence back.

K

killosaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got to hate is when a guy is down and is feeling low because of it. I have read and as everyone else has already noted; take a break or come back tomorrow.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the time to leave is when you do not know what situation you find yourself at the table. If your opponents are constantly changing it is preferable to take the money elsewhere. It is always good to know your opponents and if you can never do much change your game.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I leave a session when I know I am outmatched at the table or know I am not playing my best game. I could just be off in my thinking (which if I recognized would prolly lead to me never playing) am tired, angry or trying to protect winnings, chase losses instead of analyzing the proper way to handle each hand.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play with the goal of profit and the players at the table are better than you, then you need to go out right away. And if for entertainment, then when you get bored.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit the game in two cases, either when I got bored, or I broke a good pot

R

rhv85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually when i just dont feel like playin any longer or just to tired

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When to retire

If you been sitting dead , or had a good run and starting to play loose.

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave the table when there are no more fish at the table or when you feel like you can't play your best.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to leave a session when your tilted. Im pretty calm and cool when im playing but once I feel myself tilting, when enough is enough time to pack it up and switch to study mode.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Best time to leave is after a really big hand. You leave a winner!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bad spell?
When our opponents are as good as us or better?

It depends if you have an advantage and expect to turn a profit the longer you play or not.

Depends on how good you are playing, others, energy, your seat, lots of factors

This video will help too to ensure you're always in the best spot

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont stay if the betting gets too big for the size of the hands. I like to be able to have a feel for if my hand has a chance of winning

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see that you lose even on your favorite starting cards, it is logical that it is not your lucky day so you better retire because tomorrow you can regret it.:eek:

T

ToothpickVic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically I just leave when I'm either frustrated at my results, whether it be my fault or not, or if I'm tired. That's basically it.

C

Chicungulla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for it is advisable to withdraw on 2 occasions the first is when you are on a negative streak and lose with premium cards the second is when you have won enough up to 10 or 20 times your entry and you are tired.

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
After a decent win, I often just enter really small MTTs as I know my ego is going to get deflated a bit.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker as entertainment-play, have fun, but don't turn your head off) Luck in poker is 60-70% success rate :) If you have a bad day, poker can help you) why not?), but when you have a good day, you sit down at the table and the cards are against you, a good day becomes a bad day ))) A good time to leave when you have lost 5-7 attempts) it is impossible to return this day, if today you lose, tomorrow you may win) always remember this, and poker may become the entertainment of the time for you :) luck and fun are all about poker )))) good luck ;)