When to fold AK/AQ preflop?

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's right about alucard. That guys dedicated. I play 2/5 cent on black chip/acr, but I'm nowhere as good as Alu. That guy grinds like crazy and I don't have the time to play 2/5 cent that much due to work and school. He makes like 30 or 40 a day average. I've seen his charts. He probably will be a pro eventually. He's made way more progress than me the last 5 months. The point he's making is that there's good people here. I was about to make a bad bankroll decision, but someone told me that instead of blowing my 40 a month on high stakes tourneys, I could save it and build up a bankroll playing cash. By depositing 20 or 30 a month I could work up to 10 nl after 5 months and work up from winnings. Just do yourself a favor and stop arguing with winning players.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you have AK or AQ in your hand

If you have AK or AQ in your hand and you are in early position, then of course you need to call, but if someone after you raises 3bet you need to call, any other raise will mean that the opponent has a big pair in his hands and therefore you you need to pass

I

infiniti888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not necessary to fold any cards before the flop. Especially if it's AK or АQ. You can fall only when sm1 give all-in.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ preflop, I'll throw it on re-raise or all in.

AK I'll go to the bank.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in AK and sometimes I fold them preflop, when in the game at the table a lot of players play all-in, you can lose to a player with AA, AK is a good card, but sometimes there are losses when you are in the middle of the tournament and there are big bets, this card is good for all-in pre-flop, but I try to play on such a card although it's sometimes dangerous!

grogrich

grogrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its very hard leave in preflop with this cards, but if somewone have one pair in hand, and one more card in flop, you need to leave!

C

concoman710

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on different variables. Some questions you should be asking yourself are:

-What are the stack sizes?
-How active have you been?
-How active is the villain?
-Would still take this action with worst than my holdings?

Sometimes folding AK is perfectly fine preflop if you add these things up and determine the validity of the holding villain is repping.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have desensitized myself to having any pangs about doing so mainly thru PLO8. I have no problem dropping a hand like AAKQ when the flop comes up 345 . Point is that preflop I will probably always be in the hand with big cards, and re-analyse post flop.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I tend to fold AQ/AK mostly when i am out of position or i face a raise from someone with really high cbet on flop in turn. I hit Something on flop with these hands around 1/3 of the times so i need some way to be able to win the hand if I miss ( i have position and/or oponent will give up on most flops )

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can fold that hand when there is too much action and you have a good stack to protect, also when the opponent is very tight and you know he has a top hand .. AA-KK-QQ .. the opponent achieved his connection but u dont..

G

Goodefold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You got incorrect advise from all people here. AK is never fold to a raise. You re-raise so big that opponent has got to understand that he cannot have folding equity against you. He's got to be willing to call your big 3bet and play for stacks or fold. Now, with AQ off if you 2bet and get 3bet from a nit player you got to fold. If your AQ is suited you can limp with the intention of calling a 2bet and see the flop.

But to fold these two hands when some monkey sneezes at the pot is a massive mistake. If you are the first one in the pot from any position you come in for a raise. If you have limpers in front, you got to raise 4bb+1bb for each limper.
For example: 4 limpers ahead of you. You raise 4bb+4bb=8bb minimum raise. Why are we doing that? - Well, if they limped, our AK or AQ are absolutely much better hands vs. theirs limping trash range. We want to play our AK/AQ against their limping garbage. If you are on the button with AK/AQ and all the 6 fish ahead of you have limped, you raise 10bb, $20 for 1-2 game or $50 for 2-5 game.

You can do this play in the dark and still works. Even if you only look to one card a see an Ace or o King with some garbage as a second card and always raise the limpers, your one big card value is better then the entire limping monkey's range. (your A2o or K2o vs. fish's JTo is 55:45) You got an edge. You put each $50 in the pot and you take out $55, and this is with absolute garbage big card value only.

Even when you think you might be up Aces or Kings?

G

Goodefold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really hard to tell these days because it seems like aggression is progressively getting stronger. I'm consistently seeing people 4 and 5 bet with stuff like AQo.

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously depends on game and circumstance, but I think a general rule of thumb would be any 3-bet. Like I said, there will be some circumstances that a call may be correct, but I think your folding well more than 50% with a 3-bet

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When you think that there are more combos that win your hand than loser combos.

DieCosta

DieCosta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK AQ

First thing is the size of your stack , level of the BB , position on the table and the most important know the player which what range he is playing. AQ maxim 25BB AK +25 to 40BB.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually in the middle of the tour I will throw these cards make the opponent ask all in.

Folding in Poker