What techniques to use for establishing table image

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all--I like to think about what I want to achieve with my image. Get away with bluffs or get my big pairs paid off. Then I go about playing in the style that will help me achieve that.

If I want big pairs payed off I get involved in alot of hands (maybe 15% to 25%) often raising and reraising if I can afford it.

or, just play solid values and get away with a well timed bluff or continuation bet holding suited connecters or small pairs.

But other than that I think leo has laid it down, especially about playing the situation and not the cards. So take some time to consider the sitaution at the table.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to sit in short stack with a min buy-in and shove all in win a couple measly blinds and GTFO. JK!

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those of you who don't think it is worth your while to manufacture a table image, look around. Do you have an image of the other players at the table? And do you ever act on that image? What makes you so special that you think you are invisible to everyone else?

So, why not try to manipulate the image others have of you to your benefit?

I do it, but you won't get me to tell you how!:eek:

There is a big difference between not thinking table image is important and thinking it's not worth establishing.

You will develop a table image without trying, people will adapt to your play and you adapt to exploit their changes.

Don't sit down and piss away chips to establish a particular table image.

three3y3

three3y3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best way is felt a few fish with a bag of nuts ..so when next u raise people might think twice....never bluff ..soon as the table sees one bluff your image goes straight down the tubes ......

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the OP is missing the point of table image. Table image is based on how you apear to be playing. 95% of the time how you apear to be playing is indeed exactly how you are playing.

So playing well establishes a good table image. If you are playing tight, then you can slip in a few more bluffs and get away with it, if you are playing laggy you can get a few more value bets in than you would ordinarily, but 95% of your image is how you are actually playing.

No matter what your table image, you wont push people off big hands and you will have no effect on players who don't notice anything but the two cards in front of them.

sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what your table image, you wont push people off big hands and you will have no effect on players who don't notice anything but the two cards in front of them.

This is what I hate about micros; nobody watches the game around them. The only time you can use a bluff is on the 2 or 3 actually good players at the table who can lay a hand down. But why play against the good players at the table when there is 5 or 6 morons calling with ATC?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off use the easiest thing the sites give you, name and avatar.

Say I played at fullStars site and I had a name like PoofyPuppy with a picture of a troll doll, would you take me seriously?

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 41
sammyfive

sammyfive

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha or how about something like the avatar you use on CC. do you guys get distracted when somebody has some hot chick for you to look at while its your turn?

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure if you guys have heard of this one, but recent studies have shown that flipping the entire table while screaming, "I'M SEAN F***ING PILGRIM!" will yield a loose-aggressive table image. (Also, this method costs no chips, which is a bonus :))

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In all seriousness though, if you're playing live:

Play one of your very first hands retarded. Not aggressive, not firing lots of chips, just play it like you don't have a freaking clue. You get to showdown with J7o no pairs, say you spend $25-$35 on that hand. You flip up your cards and say, "What do I have?".

The entire table just found out you suck. Now you play solid good poker for the rest of the night, and maybe one guy will finally figure out that you aren't braindead. The rest of them will bemoan their luck that they can't beat the idiot.

If you think your image is wearing off, you can always play a hand terribly every so often, just to remind them you don't know how to play.

A first image is truly a lasting one.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure if you guys have heard of this one, but recent studies have shown that flipping the entire table while screaming, "I'M SEAN F***ING PILGRIM!" will yield a loose-aggressive table image. (Also, this method costs no chips, which is a bonus :))

LOL you make me laugh. I had fun typing that thread.

T

The_Pup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Creating an image isn't worth it if it requires you to make sub-optimal plays because your opponents wont adjust enough to make it cost effective.

Be aware of your table image and use it to your advantage but don't manufacture it.

Well put, kid. If I get dealt some corking cards first hand in a Sng, play properly and win with a huge turn bet, then get the same on the next hand I know I can get a call on the third hand when I go all in holding the nut flush by some chancer holding a pair who 'thinks they've figured me out'. Equally, if I've folded 20 hands in a row a small bet is often enough to represent a strong hand.

I rarely fake an image, am always aware of it but also aware of who (if anyone) is paying attention to it.