What Stack To Start, When To Deposit & How Much To Play With

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
What do you think is the best amount to start with in a cash game say $5 min entry with on average the highest person on the table having $20 and the rest having around the $5 mark. Is it best to start high so you can bully the table with big raises and steal blinds or better to start small so little risk of losing not that much bank.

When do you think is the best time to deposit, say you start with $5 and get up to $35. How much do you deposit? You'll lose your place on the table and have to build up again perhaps but you would be in the green so to speak and in profit.

How much do you set yourself for cash games per day to buy back in if you go broke?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general you only really need to cover the fish at the table. If you think you're better than the player with the big stack, keep trying to build it up until it matches him, If the player with the big stack is another reg you don't think you have a huge edge on no point in getting into a 400 or 600bb pot. It just adds to the variance. Of course hand strength comes into it, I'm always happy to play as big of a pot as possible with AA but not looking to get KK in for 300bbs necessarily

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You need to play so that your bankroll is equal to 200 - 300 buy-ins

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
In general you only really need to cover the fish at the table. If you think you're better than the player with the big stack, keep trying to build it up until it matches him, If the player with the big stack is another reg you don't think you have a huge edge on no point in getting into a 400 or 600bb pot. It just adds to the variance. Of course hand strength comes into it, I'm always happy to play as big of a pot as possible with AA but not looking to get KK in for 300bbs necessarily
That's a really interesting and good point you make there. Play against the fish and take them on but leave the big pot till you catch him/her. I like it ;)(y)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online the vast majority of poker rooms cap the buyin at 100BB, even though you can find a few tables with a higher cap. Like ACRs fast fold tables, where its 120BB. In general winning players or people, who are serious about improving their skill, should always buy in full and also top up, if they lose some pots. I always use auto top-up if available. The reason is, deeper stacked poker is more complicated and favour the most skillfull players over the less skillfull ones.

However as someone else already mentioned, there can be situations, where you dont want to play with extra deep stacks, if you won some pots and are now sitting with much more than the maximum buyin. That is especially the case, if other good players to your left are also deep. Or if you are sitting with more than 5% of your total bankroll, and someone else have you covered. In that situation its totally fine to leave the table and jump on another one, where you can be right back to the usual starting stack of 100BB, or whatever it is.

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Online the vast majority of poker rooms cap the buyin at 100BB, even though you can find a few tables with a higher cap. Like ACRs fast fold tables, where its 120BB. In general winning players or people, who are serious about improving their skill, should always buy in full and also top up, if they lose some pots. I always use auto top-up if available. The reason is, deeper stacked poker is more complicated and favour the most skillfull players over the less skillfull ones.

However as someone else already mentioned, there can be situations, where you dont want to play with extra deep stacks, if you won some pots and are now sitting with much more than the maximum buyin. That is especially the case, if other good players to your left are also deep. Or if you are sitting with more than 5% of your total bankroll, and someone else have you covered. In that situation its totally fine to leave the table and jump on another one, where you can be right back to the usual starting stack of 100BB, or whatever it is.
It is very advantageous to be the big stack imo for sure. You can get blinds and bluff a lot easier.

The big question is then, when do you think is the right time to deposit?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The big question is then, when do you think is the right time to deposit?
I am not sure, I understand this question? "Deposit" normally means putting money into your poker account. And usually the only reasons for doing that is, the account is empty, or you want to let the balance in your poker account be your bankroll. In the latter case, you should deposit, if you want to have a larger bankroll, than what is currently sitting in your account. Maybe you want to try out 10NL cash games after playing 5NL, and the balance in your account is 263$. You could play 10NL with such a bankroll, but to put less stress on yourself you select to top it up to 463$.

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I am not sure, I understand this question? "Deposit" normally means putting money into your poker account. And usually the only reasons for doing that is, the account is empty, or you want to let the balance in your poker account be your bankroll. In the latter case, you should deposit, if you want to have a larger bankroll, than what is currently sitting in your account. Maybe you want to try out 10NL cash games after playing 5NL, and the balance in your account is 263$. You could play 10NL with such a bankroll, but to put less stress on yourself you select to top it up to 463$.
Sorry bro i meant to say withdraw my bad!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry bro i meant to say withdraw my bad!
Do you mean leave a cash game table? As I said already, if you build a bigger stack than the maximum buyin, and this situation is not advantageous for you due to bankroll concerns (risk managment) or having good deep stacked players on your left. If you are sitting with 240BB, and the best player on the table is sitting to your direct left with 300BB, while the worst players only have 30-70BB, this is a bad situation for you, and you should leave. However the most common reason for leaving a cash game table is, that the table has broken down, or that there are no bad players on the table. If you cant identify the fish within a few orbits on a cash table, then its most likely, because the fish is you :)

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Do you mean leave a cash game table? As I said already, if you build a bigger stack than the maximum buyin, and this situation is not advantageous for you due to bankroll concerns (risk managment) or having good deep stacked players on your left. If you are sitting with 240BB, and the best player on the table is sitting to your direct left with 300BB, while the worst players only have 30-70BB, this is a bad situation for you, and you should leave. However the most common reason for leaving a cash game table is, that the table has broken down, or that there are no bad players on the table. If you cant identify the fish within a few orbits on a cash table, then its most likely, because the fish is you :)
That makes sense! So in your example that would be 140BB profit. You're obviously just throwing a number out there but i get what you mean there or there abouts. What about if the players to the left have less than you though and you're still the big stack on the table and yes i am talking about cash games.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
What do you think is the best amount to start with in a cash game say $5 min entry with on average the highest person on the table having $20 and the rest having around the $5 mark. Is it best to start high so you can bully the table with big raises and steal blinds or better to start small so little risk of losing not that much bank.

When do you think is the best time to deposit, say you start with $5 and get up to $35. How much do you deposit? You'll lose your place on the table and have to build up again perhaps but you would be in the green so to speak and in profit.

How much do you set yourself for cash games per day to buy back in if you go broke?
There’s a lot of post in the forums about bankroll management.at least 100 buy ins.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
If you played poker for a while you know your winning rate (bb/100) at the limit you're playing. For example, my winning rate at NL2 is around 20bb/100, it means that every 100 hand that I play, I get 40c.
Then you need to calculate your poker variance on some websites like "primedope", all what you need is your winrate and the standard deviation that you'll find on your tracker, if not just enter default value 100.
Finally you can simulate a sample of hands, let's say 100k hand, it will show you the minimum bankroll required. In my example with a std deviation of 80, I get the minimum BR of 480BB which is around 5 BI (10$).
Now when sitting at the table, it's better te have 100bb to manoeuver post-flop, with 40bb you can't apply max pressure on every street and you end up playing a lot of all-in spots before the river, always consider the SPR (stack to pot ratio).
For your last question, you can set a maximum drawdown of 2-3 BI, if you play at NL5 and you loose 10-15$ in the session you quit and come back another day.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Everything is written correctly here about bankroll management, I'll just add a small detail, if at the table one player has 20$ and the others 5$, never sit in front of him, but sit in a position towards him when you play after him, I hope the translator will convey my thought clearly and you will understand what I mean), if he has the biggest stack at the table, it means that he is either a strong player or an aggressive one (we will not take into account that an amateur who is incredibly lucky has a chance 3-4%) so you sit in the position of the biggest pot at the table and play your game, you discard cards to your opponent's raises with medium hands and respond only with strong hands, raise with a mega hand

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
By setting a daily, weekly or monthly deposit limit, you can play responsibly and control your spending. Your own deposit limit is cumulative. Many people are lured into the illusion of a perfect poker career. They see the top players on TV playing million dollar pots and think that if they beat their buddies. Instead of constantly calculating your future win rate, it's much better to spend that time working on the game, both at the tables and off the tables. . You must strive to develop your discipline, emotional control and interest in learning, without which you cannot achieve long-term success in this game. How much to deposit and play is up to each individual.

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Everything is written correctly here about bankroll management, I'll just add a small detail, if at the table one player has 20$ and the others 5$, never sit in front of him, but sit in a position towards him when you play after him, I hope the translator will convey my thought clearly and you will understand what I mean), if he has the biggest stack at the table, it means that he is either a strong player or an aggressive one (we will not take into account that an amateur who is incredibly lucky has a chance 3-4%) so you sit in the position of the biggest pot at the table and play your game, you discard cards to your opponent's raises with medium hands and respond only with strong hands, raise with a mega hand
Yes this is great advice actually, knowing where to sit at the table is important although with some poker sites/Apps you don't get the option of where to sit but others you do. Yes i always raise with a monster hand and i do discard a lot of hands when the opponent raises. I find playing with people for a couple of hours say in a tournament that you can get a feel of when they get a massive hand. I nearly always can tell when it's aces or QQ, KK.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this is great advice actually, knowing where to sit at the table is important although with some poker sites/apps you don't get the option of where to sit but others you do. Yes i always raise with a monster hand and i do discard a lot of hands when the opponent raises. I find playing with people for a couple of hours say in a tournament that you can get a feel of when they get a massive hand. I nearly always can tell when it's aces or QQ, KK.
yes, in tournaments with a deep stack, it may be that you sit at the same table for a long time, I'm talking more about cash tables, where possible, if you make it a rule to sit in a position with a large stack, the results will definitely be much better

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
yes, in tournaments with a deep stack, it may be that you sit at the same table for a long time, I'm talking more about cash tables, where possible, if you make it a rule to sit in a position with a large stack, the results will definitely be much better
I don't think they have the option to sit where you want on pokerstars which is what i'm on. They always place me bottom middle every table always have done.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think they have the option to sit where you want on Pokerstars which is what i'm on. They always place me bottom middle every table always have done.
if you sit down at a table where you have an uncomfortable opponent in a position with a stack probability, you can change the table at any time, especially to poker stars, where there are a lot of players and there are no problems finding a comfortable table

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the amount you place, but it's better to start with a minimum to get used to it.