What needs to be my raising range in this late position spot?

kingme620

kingme620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.01/.02 game. obviously stats can make or break this but lets assume we have none. I'm experimenting with raising large amounts with a way wider range in very late position.

Hero (Button) ($3.38)
SB ($7.47)
BB ($11.15)
UTG ($1.87)
UTG+1 ($1.56)
MP1 ($4.25)
MP2 ($2.06)
MP3 ($1.53)
CO ($1.89)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5
club.gif
, A
spade.gif

2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP3 calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.13, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.31) 2
club.gif
, 6
spade.gif
, Q
spade.gif
(2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.21, 1 fold

What should be my raising range here with two limping opponents? With just one?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.13 is not a particularly large raise with 2 limpers - that's 4.5xBB +1BB for each limper. I use 4xBB +1 for each limper as a standard, and I'm not unusual.

Limping implies 1. relatively weak hands and 2. bad players. Raising with a broad range on the button like this is a very good strategy because the hands are likely weak and the players likely are bad. It's important to understand that context for this strategy.

Against some villains, your range can literally be ATC. If Villain limp/folds preflop to any raise, and the blinds are tight, you'll make a profit doing this. If Villain limp/calls frequently and folds cbets frequently, and the blinds are tight, again your range can be ATC. In both these situations, any aggression from the blinds or limper will cause you to fold - but it happens rarely enough that you'll make a profit over the long run anyhow.

As you have here, though, not everyone will fold preflop - so you need to have corresponding postflop strategies in mind. How often will Villain fold to a cbet? How's the board texture fitting Villain's range? How are your hand reading skills? You can make a lot of money from players who limp/call preflop and have poor postflop playing skills - but your own postflop play needs to be better than theirs.

A narrower range while you're working this out is a good idea - download pokerstove (www.pokerstove.com, it's free) and check out the range for 18% to 20% of your hands and try that out. As you get more comfortable, you can increase the number of hands.

I know you were asking this without reads, but for me this is so read dependent that I can't think about it without that context. I haven't played $2NL, but my understanding is that the vast majority of players will be unable to respond effectively to this strategy, so I'm assuming the "read" on unknowns at $2NL is that this will work effectively against most players - but note that I'm assuming you won't go to showdown very often (i.e., your pre and postflop strategy is to get Villain to fold before showdown, or that you'll have to fold junk because Villain plays back at you - A5o is junk with that flop, your cbet is perfect), so take care against calling stations.

S

Smileyphil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My very small experience of NL2 has led me to believe that a lot of players will limp/call with a whole range of broadway/suited/Ax cards. They have the mentality that any two cards will do and they want to see the flop.

I would not be raising in this spot. I play quite a tight game and would probably make a raise with something like AJ+, KQ, 88+. Would also limp myself with any lower pairs and suited connectors. I am very wary of Ax hands because of the postflop problems.

It does depend on reads and also your own personal temperment. Are you looking to make moves or are you happy just to sit back and wait for a better spot?