What to C-bet

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a question aimed at players who base their c-bets on the texture of the board rather than the strength of their own hand.

I am just getting into using Poker Razor and am starting to look at board texture when c-betting.

Put simply, does your c-bet mean

'my range hits this board hard'

or does it mean

'your range dosent hit this board at all'

I can figure out if I should be c-betting low boards where I know my opponent has missed, but also miss my range too.

So am I saying 'I have hit' or am I saying 'you have missed'?

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on my opponent the board texture and my equity.

If the board is dry I am more likely to bet
What I perceive as a dry or wet board may vary depending on my opponent's range.
Against calling stations I C-bet less, especially those bastards who call with any overcards (however value betting ace high can become an option here)
I am more likely to bet when I have some good draws.
I am less likely to bet if I'm in a way ahead/ way behind situation.

As for the last question I play low stakes so my c-bets mean, "your range doesn't hit this board at all" even the regs are unlikely to be thinking about anything but their own cards.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against fish/even most regs: Whether to cbet is entirely dependent on my hand and his hand range on that given flop. Most opponents aren't thinking about my range they're thinking about their hand and how many "streets of value" they can get. If they flop a middle pair or something they'll call one top pair probably 2 maybe 3 depending on their mood and if they missed the flop they'll just fold that. So when cbetting against fish with air I'm saying I don't think they hit the flop.

Against solid regs: I'm saying my range hits this board harder than yours does so I'll cbet. I'll cbet less against solid regs when I can't rep too much credibly enough to barrel and really it depends on the reg and his specific tendencies. Also note on dry boards against most thinking regs you can vbet thinner because they know/think you'll be cbetting it a lot.