chilebeeny

chilebeeny

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw this on another poker blog and thought it was worth sharing:

Walls guide to rebuy's

Rebuy's are not for the faint of heart or the unskilled but when you win them they pay huge dividends to thos who cash especially the top 3
they have many advantages and 1 really nasty bankroll problem if your not aware
The advantages and Disadvantages
The fundament thing you have to know about rebuy's is that on average a quarter to a third of the field is at a major disadvantage because they cannot afford multiple rebuys and half of the field tend to continue being loose after the rebuy period is over because they look at the chip leaders and panic.
concider the entry fee to be 5 to 6 times the initial buy in for example a $5 should not cost you more than $25 to $30 most players dont understand this and either short change themselves or over value the worth of the payouts and just add to the prize pool until they are broke
if you have gone beyond your budget you set for the rebuy your in, with the exception of the add on get out, concider the tourney a loss and dont keep chasing the dream it is a sure way to kill your bankroll. (if you cant do this DO NOT PLAY REBUY'S)
now that being said your goal is to get 6K to 10K in chips by the end of the rebuy period(including the add on) any more is gravy and great but it is not necissary(THE TOURNEY JUST BECAME A DEEP STACK FOR YOU)
this is the reason i love rebuy's, by the break i almost always have 6k in chips and can play my game at my leasure with no pressure to get involved in pots if I DONT WANT TO
during the rebuy period a quarter to a third of players will leave just because they cannot afford it or it is just 2 insane for them
here is a rebuy i played today (and have won before)i got knocked out around the 100 mark when my AK walked into AA after the K hit the flop oh well lol not my week it seems
first its a $5 tournament with a 6K+ prize pool and if you lucky enough not to have to rebuy a very nice payout indeed
second at the break(the end of the rebuy period) it only had 231 players left
3rd the chip leader is a monster and will be taking out players for you so the field will thin reasonably quickly for the next hour
4th most of the decent stacks are and i stress only 1 or 2 double up's away in chips(there is no need to panic here) most players do tho and this also works to your advantage

How to play rebuy's
During the first period up to the break most allow unlimited rebuy's play tight any high pair JJ or better or AK is always all in either before or on the flop, I prefer to raise then push on the flop personally that way you can throw your JJ to an AK5 flop etc
limp with any small pair or AQ to see your sets or the A
Players play very loose in this period ( especially A rag) and the majority of hands you play you should be rewarded for, the trick is to double every chance you get you have a couple of life lines USE THEM
DO NOT VALUE BET in the rebuy period you will get all in callers who are all but drawing dead(they just dont get it) ,the value bet is ALL IN
ALWAYS AND I MEAN ALWAYS take the Add on
1500 to 2000 chips can make the difference between bubbling or winning even if your chip leader
it also prompts any one else who can afford it to take the add on and this increases the prize pool
After the break you need to switch gears
I tend to trap then push, most players who are left are either desperate or still have the rebuy mentality stuck in there heads, you can take advantage of this and chip up
the hands you are looking for are 2 pair or better, sets, high end of st8's,high flushes A or K etc
Here is a hand i played shortly after the break
PokerStars Game #11480419655: Tournament #57897830, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2007/08/14 - 06:29:58 (ET)
Table '57897830 3' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: BFITM17 (8150 in chips)
Seat 2: Magoos Wall (7900 in chips) THIS IS ME IF YOU DIDNT KNOW HEHE
Seat 3: GorgeousLady (11170 in chips)
Seat 4: Rickydee4 (10650 in chips)
Seat 5: ludiia (6240 in chips)
Seat 6: Sinan01 (6685 in chips)
Seat 7: bbbbssss (10060 in chips)
Seat 8: davey120 (5700 in chips)
Seat 9: jespy24 (11495 in chips)
Magoos Wall: posts small blind 75
GorgeousLady: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Magoos Wall
Rickydee4: folds
ludiia: calls 150
Sinan01: raises 300 to 450
bbbbssss: folds
davey120: calls 450
jespy24: folds
BFITM17: folds
Magoos Wall: calls 375
GorgeousLady: folds
ludiia: calls 300
*** FLOP ***
Magoos Wall: checks
ludiia: checks
Sinan01: checks
davey120: checks
*** TURN ***
Magoos Wall: bets 1050
ludiia: raises 4740 to 5790 and is all-in
Sinan01: folds
davey120: folds
Magoos Wall: calls 4740
*** RIVER ***
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Magoos Wall: shows (a full house, Fours full of Threes)
ludiia: shows (two pair, Tens and Threes)
Magoos Wall collected 13530 from pot
Magoos Wall said, "gg"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 13530 | Rake 0
Board
Seat 1: BFITM17 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Magoos Wall (small blind) showed and won (13530) with a full house, Fours full of Threes
Seat 3: GorgeousLady (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Rickydee4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: ludiia showed and lost with two pair, Tens and Threes
Seat 6: Sinan01 folded on the Turn
Seat 7: bbbbssss folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: davey120 folded on the Turn
Seat 9: jespy24 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
The end game is really fun lots of chips floating around, but the blinds are not so huge because the chips in play is not an indication of the number of starting players
If i hadn't walked into the AA i would have been 20th in chips at the 3rd break with only a 100 or so players left.
but it happens get on with winning the next 1, I intend 2
I play rebuy's because to me they are a deep stack to me, even if you dont play a single hand in the rebuy period go all in, in the last 5 minutes throw your chips away(if you dont get lucky) and rebuy twice and add on for your 5k in chips hehe
5000 chips after 1 hour with blinds at 75/150 gives you a damn lot of play
hope this blog helps you guy's who have been asking for it
best of luck on and off the felt all
The Wall

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's nice to share articles, but you need to make sure you give credit to the author. Apparently the author of this is nicknamed "The Wall"?

G

GustavoSilva

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice article , thanks for sharing