UTG+1 shoves for 300BBs

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full table @ $5-$10 NLH. All fold to Hero BTN holding :jd4::jh4: and no reads on villain. Is this what you would call a close decision with a stack of $3K?

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with no reads, just fold. I have seen crazy players shove their entire stacks with all pocket pairs, literally all from 22 to AA. JJ may seem pretty here but don't risk it, see if he does that often, sometimes someone will call, or you will wake up with a monster and call - you gain info - win against him every other time.
Cash games are slow and steady grind, so you have plenty of time to catch good cards and win, even if you folded JJ.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure you snapfold anything but pocket Aces for 300bb effective without reads.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I think this is pretty much an auto fold this deep. While I think it's an absolutely terrible play from this Villain as he looses out on so much value when he has a good hand here as he likely does, and risks a lot on the off chance he does this with nothing for fun. JJ is a really good hand, until you need to call a 300BB open shove lol

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok. For the record villain turned over 55.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play live very often so I don't find myself 300bb deep very often, but with the new info, JJ has 59% equity vs a range of 55+ AQs AKo, and you have 24% against a somewhat reasonable open Jam 300BB range of QQ+ AKs.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear you but it can't be right to fold every single time. But a percentage of the time, sure.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe against that particular guy it can be a call at some percentage given the info you now have on him but I don't think it's ever going to be a call versus a unknown. I would recommend downloading equilabs (free) or flopzilla ($35 I think) and imputing what would be a "resonable" 300BB open jamming range (I dont think there is such a thing) but you can at least see how different hand's equities interact

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear you but it can't be right to fold every single time. But a percentage of the time, sure.
I think we have to fold QQ- here 100% of the time the first time he does this. Now that he showed 55 we have a better read for next time. I don't think I'm folding KK though and obviously snapping with AA.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That is exactly in line with what I told you. People are shoving like that anything from 22-AA, and yes, JJ is better then majority of it, but the VERY FIRST time you see that from that player, you have to fold hoping to get info. Next time call that particular player with JJ+, probably with TT too.
I wouldn't recommend calling with AK/AQ as these players will rarely have Ax hands that you dominate, and flipping for all your stack in a cash game knowingly is not a good thing to do.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't recommend calling with AK/AQ as these players will rarely have Ax hands that you dominate, and flipping for all your stack in a cash game knowingly is not a good thing to do.

Literally no one who open jams 300bbs is playing good poker so making assumptions on what Ax hands they would/wouldn't do it with is pointless imo. But with blockers and equity, AK is still a better call than JJ would be. JJ has 2 outs against queens, AKs has 6 and draws. I don't know why would would call with a hand you wouldn't call 4 bet jam with 100bbs deep but you would call an open jam with it for 300bb.

Also in cash if you're not calling off in spots you think you're flipping you're giving away free equity

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sounds like you play in a great game :)

I've seen a couple of your HH threads now and the action at your club seems super wild!

Unfortunately since us at the forum don't know the dynamics of your game it's hard for us to give tips that would be directly applicable to it :(

Stack em up bro!

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely fold without even thinking about it

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With no reads, just fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we have to fold QQ- here 100% of the time the first time he does this. Now that he showed 55 we have a better read for next time. I don't think I'm folding KK though and obviously snapping with AA.

I think with QQ I doesn't withdraw without reading because we don't block A-K. But the most recommended when in doubt is the fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite strange the villain's movement. Why he would you waste so much value UTG + 1? The villain don't need to do that with a high pocket. Because most of the time its value would go to waste. I think I would have called if I feel like the villain is very loose. Otherwise standard fold.
Greetings.

Last edited:
stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo this is a stupid play by the villain i think JJ are good in this spot no one even a maniac would open shove 300bb with AA KK QQ they are going to wanna get paid with these premiums so I would call it down and punish him and even go for the flips if he had AQ or AK

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full table @ $5-$10 NLH. All fold to Hero BTN holding :jd4::jh4: and no reads on villain. Is this what you would call a close decision with a stack of $3K?

Read post now

Not a close decision in my opinion :p

He's counting on lower pairs to call. But it also depends on reads, is this guy a massive fish and shoving any 2 broadways or any suite ace? Or does he shove any pair above 99? etc

If it's a cash game and his shoving range is too wide this is an easy call assuming he always shoves deep stacks like this. If it's a tournament it's autofold at that stack depth.

Edit: just saw you said no reads, definitely fold, not a close spot at all, I would fold kings too.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't be can it?

Quite strange the villain's movement. Why he would you waste so much value UTG + 1? The villain don't need to do that with a high pocket. Because most of the time its value would go to waste. I think I would have called if I feel like the villain is very loose. Otherwise standard fold.
Greetings.

Two hours later, this same villain is UTG+3 and shoves a second time for 300 BBs! Everyone folds and Hero in BB looks down at :as4::kc4:. Since I now have some kinda read on this palooka, I decide on calling without much pause. Flop is :kh4:,:4h4:.:7d4: He turns over pocket 55s and I end up losing to a K-high flush!:eek: