Understanding EV

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could someone explain the expected value line in PT3 please? I've been losing a lot lately (still a very small sample as I am a beginner so I know it doesn't mean much) but would like to understand what the line on the graph means. I feel as if I'm experiencing a lot of dead cards, bad beats and coolers but when I look at the graph, the EV line is below my win line. Does that mean that I'm just playing badly and not running badly?

Also on a side note is it better to have a positive red non-showdown winnings line?

EV Graph

Thanks all!

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My EV line is way above my win line, and I've been getting my money in good majority of the time and getting sucked out on. Dont quote me on it but I believe yours means you are running good when all in.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5k hands played graph

This is my graph, hopefully this uploads correctly

Green is win

Yellow is EV when all in

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ev line just shows what you should expect when all in. So say pot is $10 and you have AA against KK your ev would be $8 since that's the equity you have in the pot when all the chips are in. Only problem with basing how you are running on your ev line is that it doesn't show card distribution. If you run into the top of someones range then your AIev will go down even though you were favourite agaisnt their range. Also if you jsut get coolered a shit load pre then that isn't reflected either.

C

CaptainKout

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Red line vs blue like doesn't really matter if your winning. My red/blue lines diverge in the opposite direction because I'm an crazy agro dbag. Betting more and more often makes people fold so your nonshowdown winnings will improve. Tighter starting ranges are one thing that will improve the blue line but you seem to have that pretty well in hand.

There are a lot of ways to transfer showdown winnings to nonshowdown winnings and vice versa.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks all. Good to know that even though I feel as if I've been on the wrong side of luck recently, at least when I go all-in I've been on the right side!

And thanks for explaining the red line CK. The loose passives I'm playing can never seem to find the fold button no matter how much I 3bet or 4bet so I don't think my red line will be changing any time soon.