Turbo tourneys

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fast blind structure is intended to push the pressure factor, and it does it well. What I have found is the best strategy early is to let others express that 'panic'. Watch the table, see who is being aggressive, who is getting actual good cards but wait. Wait for the monsters, and along about the 3rd or 4th level the remaining players will have calmed down to where you can start adding your standard position plays, and somewhere around the 5th or 6th levels you need to crank up your own aggression factor.

The worst thing about turbos is nearing the bubble, at whatever level the design forces folks into Shove or Fold mode. Fear is your enemy here, and luck is your friend.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo Tourneys

I played in two of these last night (screenie is from the first tourney,first hand). Played super tight and went out in seventh place. Second time around I lossened up a bit and was one of the five winners but here's what I don't like about the double or nothings. In the first one some person sat out entire time until 6 players remained and then started playing. The top 5 all win the same amount so it doesn't matter if you have 5000 or 50 chips if you finish in the money you all win .90. By the way that person was bubble boy. In the second I got a pretty substantial chip lead early and it seemed as if everyone else was just kinda hanging around waiting for the axe to fall. Felt like vultures on a fence.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_13 Dec. 04 18.54.gif
    ScreenHunter_13 Dec. 04 18.54.gif
    237.1 KB · Views: 3
K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I happen to have a distaste of turbo freerolls, but will play any tournament I can get it. I found that you have to play loose, but look tight. This makes people question your hand, and hopefully inevitably cause more folding. Because of the blinds advancing at such a rate you have to challenge for the money on the table to survive the duration of the tournament and make the final table.