Turbo SNG vs Standard SNG

brettstix

brettstix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been playing sit n go games on a few different sites and have been doing well. The games take anywhere up to 2 hours to complete. I have tried a few turbo SNG games but have not been getting the same results, regularly finishing 4th or 5th to someone making an extremely loose OOP call.

How much should I relax my opening hand selection for these games compared to a slower SNG?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends on the game and the opponents in it - in general though, I actually found that a slightly tighter range than normal worked for me in single-table turbos.

Most of the time the other players get too hung up on the turbo aspect, and play really fast. If you just stay out of the way in the early going you can often get close to the bubble with a decent stack still intact. By that time you should have an idea who you can make moves on and what they'll be. Either that, or you'll have caught a decent hand and won some more chips.

Occasionally you'll just run out of time and chips, but I found the above strategy got me to the money a decent amount of the time in low-stakes turbos.

The other thing you need to work on is push-or-fold decisions on the bubble. When the blinds get high you won't be able to wait for hands, so you need to be picking your spots to shove fairly regularly to at least stay afloat, and hopefully double up.

B

Boomswitch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that in Turbo's are alot more fishie than the standard Sng. Alot of players tend to think their is no time to wait for a decent hand. I rountinely see 2-3 people knocked out of the $3.25 6 man's before I even play a hand. While for the standard time Sng's I see alot more tighter play. I really believe that if you take into account the looser play+the quicker pace of turbo's (which means being able to play more Sng's in the same amount of time), that turbo's are the way to go.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In turbos's when the blinds are low, I feel like you still need to play tight. As the blinds pick up, and your m's start to drop you have to loosen up. I think position is still key in turbo's, but I just dont enjoy them as much. I don't like to give my money away any faster than I have to

C

ckenguy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on the game and the opponents in it - in general though, I actually found that a slightly tighter range than normal worked for me in single-table turbos.

Occasionally you'll just run out of time and chips, but I found the above strategy got me to the money a decent amount of the time in low-stakes turbos.

The other thing you need to work on is push-or-fold decisions on the bubble. When the blinds get high you won't be able to wait for hands, so you need to be picking your spots to shove fairly regularly to at least stay afloat, and hopefully double up.

I agree. One game the blinds were getting so high and I only had like 5xBB, getting no hands. So in MP I decide to shove with what I'd call the best hand I'd seen in awhile - 10 8 suited. I shove, the player next to me calls, and the player before me raised so I had both call my all-in while both had forced each other all-in as well. They both show pocket 7s to my overcards. I flopped an 8 and was laughing while the chips came my way. Timing, even with a hand that looks weak, might actually be the winning hand before the flop shows.

My opinion on standard vs turbo. One standard STT tourney takes over an hour to an hour and half. A 45 player turbo takes just as long, but with more money to win. I would go with OzExorcists advice.

1pwn00b5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your opponents and structure really. I find in turbo SNG's you really have to open up and be ready to push with a much wider variety of hands near the late and bubble stages, whereas in a normal SNG you can typically tighten up a little bit and be more patient and outlast your opponents that way.

M

megadeth123

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that in Turbo's are alot more fishie than the standard Sng. Alot of players tend to think their is no time to wait for a decent hand. I rountinely see 2-3 people knocked out of the $3.25 6 man's before I even play a hand. While for the standard time Sng's I see alot more tighter play. I really believe that if you take into account the looser play+the quicker pace of turbo's (which means being able to play more Sng's in the same amount of time), that turbo's are the way to go.

very true, 1-table turbo SnG (9 heads) are easy to win, steadily, if you stick to some sort of game plan.

for instance, stay very tight until blinds hit 50/100, before that consider folding JJ-QQ when you feel it's not a good time to shove in.. you dont want to go out vs some A5s etc.. when limits go up, you can shove with absolute random cards given a) your tight image b) well, youve got to do steal some blinds to stay put

ive never played much standard blind sng's because in my opinion theyre a waste of time, i rather play a MTT with same blind time than a SnG.. either you wait 30 minutes for KK AA or something good to call a raise either you will run into that for the first half hour... my 2 cents..

the_urge27

the_urge27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play this in a standard way-be patient-even though its a turbo sit n go alot of players play really loose in the beggining-usually in about 6 orbits in-theyll be players knocked out-wait for good spots-when the bubble hits u have to turn it up-DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BUBBLE-u are playing for the win-its better to finish 4th and try to win it-than finishing 3rd with not that much of profit-learn to push any 2 on the button with unopened pots-if it happens you run into a monster so be it-but its better to play for 1st....

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play 18 player SNG's and just wait for the right cards and make a move to double up. 1 or 2 double up is already enough to place in the money. just play it tight until you get to the bubble. have to be aggressive then to steal some pots...

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much should I relax my opening hand selection for these games compared to a slower SNG?

I will suggest these move so fast that you can fold every hand and get damn close to the money. Let the others loosen up. Wait for it, there will of course be those times when 'it' never happens, but more often 'it' does, and you get a very few double ups and are ITM. You can get ITM, and win these with a minimum of action. Think along the lines of 3 hands per table, so a 4 table game would probably require you to play aggressively only 12 hands, and this could very possibly get you the win.