Trips in multi-way pot

G

GrammaKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Kc9h here. I don't think Villain bets AA on the turn. So, this is either 98, 88, 22, A9s (only Ad9d), or maybe 97s. It could also sometimes be missed combo draws like JdTd. Are we calling or folding?

PokerMelee.com Free turn-based Simul-Poker™
[ Preflop ‧ 6 players ‧ $1000 effective ]
Lojack folds
Hijack raises to $27
Cutoff calls $27 Button calls $27
Small Blind calls $22
Hero calls $17 with Kc9h

[ Flop: 8d 2d 9s ‧ 5 players ‧ $135 pot ]
Small Blind checks
Hero checks
Hijack bets $90
Cutoff calls $90
Button folds
Small Blind folds
Hero calls $90

[ Turn: 8d 2d 9s 9c ‧ 3 players ‧ $405 pot ]
Hero checks
Hijack bets $203 Cutoff calls $203
Hero calls $203

[ River: 8d 2d 9s 9c 3h ‧ 3 players ‧ $1014 pot ]
Hero checks
Hijack bets $680 (all-in)
Cutoff folds
Hero ?

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero already played this hand bad by no raising and now does not have a clue what his opponent has so hero calls and see the result which has about 33% to be positive and 77% to be negative.When you play bad luck is your only potential ally.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have Kc9h here. I don't think Villain bets AA on the turn. So, this is either 98, 88, 22, A9s (only Ad9d), or maybe 97s. It could also sometimes be missed combo draws like JdTd. Are we calling or folding?

Lojack folds
Hijack raises to $27
Small Blind calls $22
Hero calls $17 with Kc9h

Small Blind checks
Hero checks
Hijack bets $90
Cutoff calls $90
Button folds
Small Blind folds
Hero calls $90

Hero checks
Hero calls $203

Hero checks
Cutoff folds
Hero ?

What is this, High Stakes or Play Money?

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I think, its questionable to get involved in a 5-way pot with K9o, even when we are getting a discount from defending our blinds. Its just not a very good hand.

Flop
Even when you flop top pair, how much are you really looking forward to play a turn? The raisor could easily have an overpair, in which case you are drawing to 5 outs at best. But of course its tough to fold, when you hit one of the best possible flops, which is why, I prefer to just fold pre.

Turn
Now you have trips and a very clear check-call.

River
I am not completely loving, that he jammed, but I think, you put yourself into a spot, where you just have to close your eyes, say a prayer and call. There are very few hands, that beat you, all the draws missed, and you can also not completely rule out, that he is betting for value with a worse 9X than yours.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Lojack folds
Hijack raises to $27
Small Blind calls $22
Hero calls $17 with Kc9h

Small Blind checks
Hero checks
Hijack bets $90
Cutoff calls $90
Button folds
Small Blind folds
Hero calls $90

Hero checks
Hero calls $203

Hero checks
Cutoff folds
Hero ?

I agree with the previous sentiments that the preflop decision is the one that's the issue here. Calling with easily dominated offsuit hands in multiway pots can put you in tons of tough situations.

And part of being able to navigate those situations is to be able to fold when you're beat.
Your opponent has fired 3 streets into a multiway pot and been called in multiple spots on each street, it's unlikely that they would be pure bluffing here.

It's also pretty clear that at least one of the callers has a 9 or better and so this player is unlikely to value bet a worse 9. Hijack can easily have a boat or better 9 than you here as you mentioned.

The main question is what is your read on this opponent? Is it someone who overvalues hands? Is it someone who is a complete maniac?

Unless the answer to one of those 2 is yes then this looks like a fold to me (and honestly you may even be able to drop it on the turn once it's been bet and called ahead of you as tight as that seems)

Hope you found the right decision in the end!

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Estimated range hj TT+, 98, 88, 22, A9. Against this range, we are 73% favorites. Call

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This would appear to be a play money game so trying to get a read on your opponent might be difficult. I doubt his pre-flop raising range included 22 but 88 in a play money game would certainly be in his range. Would he be raising with A9...I doubt that too. So you really only need to consider if your opponent is holding 88. You beat anything else he might have raised pre-flop. Since you say nothing about your read on the hijack and you offer no other details I would say the best play here was a call. I say that because you called all the way to the river and played your hand like a trapping hand. So your trap worked and it's time to follow thru with your play on the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This would appear to be a play money game so trying to get a read on your opponent might be difficult. I doubt his pre-flop raising range included 22 but 88 in a play money game would certainly be in his range. Would he be raising with A9...I doubt that too. So you really only need to consider if your opponent is holding 88. You beat anything else he might have raised pre-flop. Since you say nothing about your read on the hijack and you offer no other details I would say the best play here was a call. I say that because you called all the way to the river and played your hand like a trapping hand. So your trap worked and it's time to follow thru with your play on the river.

Also we dont want to fall victim to an accidental value bluff. If this was play money, or if it had been a micro game like 2NL or 5NL, or a 1/2 live game, we dont want to fold here, and now the Villain proudly tables J9 offsuit to prove, he was not bluffing.

If its a nitty opponent, ok then maybe there is some argument, that we are basically always looking at a boat, when he continue to fire into multible opponents, and then perhaps we can make a big laydown.