Too many tables leading to failure? Q

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over past months been playing 10+ tables and find myself missing spots not having good enough notes, just have started playing 1 or 2 tables , much more under control, better notes, better decisions, how many tables do you play at one time? Also if you do play 8+ how do you keep track of notes players I just don’t see how anyone could.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play from 2 to 6 tables, increasing or decreasing the number of tables depending on concentration. If the concentration decreases, then I decrease the number of tables and vice versa.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Usually I play 3-4 tables at a time and have pretty good results. If there are more than four tables, I start to lose concentration. In any case, it is obvious that the quality of the game is always more important than the number of tables.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The quantity issue for me remains a huge dilemma!

While some argue that there must be "volume", I still believe that "Volume X Quality" should be balanced.

It is useless to have 12 tables open and not be able to reach ITM in any.

Because of all these doubts, I created my own method and system, based on the buy-in amount, the more expensive it is, the less table I will be opening.

I don't know how to paste spreadsheets here, but hope it help you too!

GL ;)

Attachments

• buyinxscreen.JPG
    buyinxscreen.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the notes is a good question, I make them when i play less tables. However, it is a better question, how do you note the players, if you play zoom cg? for me a bit difficult, really can do with max 2 tables.
in tourneys, i dont have any problem playing 8-10+ in the same time. cg is a bit different, 4-6 is really enough, for me personally, it takes more time making decisions in cg, so play less

Momo9292

Momo9292

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I do 6 for MTT's as I feel I can handle that with no real issue, but one rule of thumb I use is that when I get ITM in 2, or deep in a single tourney, I hold off on reg'ing more until that/those specific tourneys are over. I feel giving myself more focus on my deep runs allows for me to find more FT's and make more profit overall.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the notes is a good question, I make them when i play less tables. However, it is a better question, how do you note the players, if you play zoom cg? for me a bit difficult, really can do with max 2 tables.
in tourneys, i dont have any problem playing 8-10+ in the same time. cg is a bit different, 4-6 is really enough, for me personally, it takes more time making decisions in cg, so play less

Good call about cash that’s all I play anymore, played a 10NL table took great notes, thought about every bet ended session after hour up $20

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 6-8 tables. If more, then concentration decreases. Also I use holdem manager 2

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually only play 1 or 2 at the same time, but sometimes 3 or 4 when I'm in my comfort zone. If I start to concentrate less then I'd rather just play one. I have already seen people who were at more than 20 tables and claim that they have no problem with it and that this is their comfort zone. For me that would be nothing but I have great respect for the people who can do it and are also successful in poker

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes multitablers are exploitable. Is some see you play too many tables hes gonna exploit you.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over past months been playing 10+ tables and find myself missing spots not having good enough notes, just have started playing 1 or 2 tables , much more under control, better notes, better decisions, how many tables do you play at one time? Also if you do play 8+ how do you keep track of notes players I just don’t see how anyone could.

Hey Mate,

As you said right in the title, it souds like you are playing too many tables.
Here is a video to sort of test whether you are playing too many or "not enough"

To play so many tables effectively you'll mostly be relying on your HUD stats rather than player notes (since the software is collective the data for you) and player notes will often be added post game when doing review.

They can also be made when you see something really huge go down (and usually the HUD stats will have already been alerting you to pay attention to that player).

These days... I like to play 1 table (and I used to play 8-12 no problem). It's just a more enjoyable experience and i'm picking up more, feeling present, less stressed, more enjoyment.

Everyone is different and I hope this video will help you find your sweet spot

Remember... it's not only about maximizing your expected value
sometimes it's about maximizing your Enjoyment as well :)

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Mate,

As you said right in the title, it souds like you are playing too many tables.
Here is a video to sort of test whether you are playing too many or "not enough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rwk9_mVs1c

To play so many tables effectively you'll mostly be relying on your HUD stats rather than player notes (since the software is collective the data for you) and player notes will often be added post game when doing review.

They can also be made when you see something really huge go down (and usually the HUD stats will have already been alerting you to pay attention to that player).

These days... I like to play 1 table (and I used to play 8-12 no problem). It's just a more enjoyable experience and i'm picking up more, feeling present, less stressed, more enjoyment.

Everyone is different and I hope this video will help you find your sweet spot

Remember... it's not only about maximizing your Expected Value
sometimes it's about maximizing your Enjoyment as well :)

Thanks man, very true enjoyment I have played all different types of stakes, and I play 5/10 cents now, may be viewed as a joke , but I am patching leaks everyday, almost to the point I have very few doesn’t sting as much either making mistakes.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't matter what other people think, what matters is that you are doing what feels right for you

personally, I love throwing up some microstakes now and then, it's super fun!

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter what other people think, what matters is that you are doing what feels right for you

personally, I love throwing up some microstakes now and then, it's super fun!

Great stuff, jumped up to 15/30, same style of players avoided anything stupid, made some good lay downs, ended up after 1,400 hands.

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, it all depends on how comfortable you feel with the number of tables, and the results if they are positive or negative, for my part I am on a good streak and I feel comfortable with 6, and from time to time I add one or another more

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I took a stab at playing professionally a few years back..........

When I say I took a stab, I mean I did it full time. For a couple of years. Before I attempted this I had numerous coaches, had read, seriously, like maybe 30 books, some 2-3 times, I was active here in posting hands etc. At that time, I was using a HUD and playing up to 24 tables. I knew my stats and had a number of big pot hands where my HUD info told me what to do and it was right. I was FEELING it, dude!!!!

Except, I wasnt.... One player made a comment "Ur jus mashin buttons"... lol. He was right. If I had no info it was just do something to get to the next table. It was exhausting. And I was NOT making money......

I realized a couple of things from this experience. I will never be a money making pro. And playing too many tables loses me even more money. Playing 1-2-3 tables, I can concentrate on stuff, I can enjoy making a bluff etc. This is what makes poker FUN for me.

So if you are not having fun (as it sounds) and not making money (as it sounds) with more tables, just play less is what I would say.

And I read something about what other people say (dont know what it was about, but that dont mean I wont say somthin about it..) well, if you worry about what others say if you are doing what you think you should be doing, then you are doing yourself a disservice......

Poker should be fun if it isnt a source of income. And if it is, you better be good at a few things other than just poker. I remember someone once saying, "If you want to learn to hate your passion, do it for a living"......

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play 3 max, anything over that I am disrupting the other tables and to me that is rude. I know of no one that can play more then 5 tables without causing unnecessary delays at other tables.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took a stab at playing professionally a few years back..........

When I say I took a stab, I mean I did it full time. For a couple of years. Before I attempted this I had numerous coaches, had read, seriously, like maybe 30 books, some 2-3 times, I was active here in posting hands etc. At that time, I was using a HUD and playing up to 24 tables. I knew my stats and had a number of big pot hands where my HUD info told me what to do and it was right. I was FEELING it, dude!!!!

Except, I wasnt.... One player made a comment "Ur jus mashin buttons"... lol. He was right. If I had no info it was just do something to get to the next table. It was exhausting. And I was NOT making money......

I realized a couple of things from this experience. I will never be a money making pro. And playing too many tables loses me even more money. Playing 1-2-3 tables, I can concentrate on stuff, I can enjoy making a bluff etc. This is what makes poker FUN for me.

So if you are not having fun (as it sounds) and not making money (as it sounds) with more tables, just play less is what I would say.

And I read something about what other people say (dont know what it was about, but that dont mean I wont say somthin about it..) well, if you worry about what others say if you are doing what you think you should be doing, then you are doing yourself a disservice......

Poker should be fun if it isnt a source of income. And if it is, you better be good at a few things other than just poker. I remember someone once saying, "If you want to learn to hate your passion, do it for a living"......

Phenomenal post, thank you for sharing, amazingly dropping from all the madness of multi tabling have fallen back in love with the game, making good decisions is rewarding other than clicking buttons, also the bluff part feels epic again, thx again 4 sharing

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing too many tables definitely will lower the quality of your games.
Just like if you play too many chess games, you will miss a lot of positions where you might have tactics available.
Considering poker is not a perfect information game, if you miss spots in chess, which all information is out there straightforward, of course you'll perform worse on poker too.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
2-3 are enough for me. Gives me time to learn the table and concentrate on the game.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phenomenal post, thank you for sharing, amazingly dropping from all the madness of multi tabling have fallen back in love with the game, making good decisions is rewarding other than clicking buttons, also the bluff part feels epic again, thx again 4 sharing

Thank you for your reply. I also want to add that my post was all about me, so it is not advice of any kind, just how it worked with me. I know people who 24 table (well, I KNEW people who did. I no longer am as involved and I think many things have changed, and I am not sure if 24 tables is even allowed anymore??) and some of them can play all those tables and still have time to comment on certain hands WHILE THEY ARE PLAYING. So it is just another day at the office for some, and a mountain too high for others.

But, yea, now I have fun when I play. I was just not good enough to be a poker pro. It took more losses than necessary to come to this conclusion. Letting go of my ego was a lot cheaper than letting go of my money...........

I relate it to my real profession. I am a musician and have been a pro since the late 70s. Guitar/vocals main instruments, but I play a number of others as a sideline. I know guys who play every note technically perfect but there is no soul in the music. And they will not get hired as a sideman for the bands who can have anyone they want because of this, even though one can say they play everything right. But something is missing. What is missing? Hmmm, it is, for me, an unnamed element that makes the difference between "competent" and "virtuoso". I know a lot about poker, but I still play badly compared to the good players. I am missing this "soul". I know players who think they are great (and technically they are) but are missing this "soul" so no one wants them as the first choice for a player. They can only change this if they realize they are missing something, and then they can work on this.

And so is it with a poker player. If you are always saying "Yea, BUT..." then you may be avoiding the elephant in the room..... I mean the elephant who still calls that river shove when it knows it should fold.........

tl;dr: Thanks for your reply. Most poker players suck simply because they wont admit they suck..........