Is There A Good Time to Change Tables?

bagadonuts

bagadonuts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything you read, hear and common sense tells you to study your opponents style of play when you aren't playing a hand. Apparently it's a common pasttime for many to surf the net, watch TV or just about anything else once you've folded. Just this morning I was listening to a podcast that I had downloaded I think from Rounder's Radio and the host of the show was interviewing a pro who's name escapes me right now. He went on about how invaluable information can be gleaned from each player at your table and how the edge from that information will pay off in a big way later on. Anyway that got me to wondering whether or not you think there's some point where your opponents, having done that very thing, know too much about your style of play. And if that's the case, is there a good time to move to a different table where the players don't have the advantage of knowing my style of play. I guess I'm also wondering if the "element of surprise" is worth the trade-off of moving to a table where you know nothing about your opponents. Is there a right answer on this one?

"Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" Confucius

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can easily find yourself in a situation where people have learned your tendencies, especially if you are at the same table with the same people for a long time. If you notice that all of a sudden people are seeming to make moves on you like crazy, or if everyone else seems to be running hot, chances are they figured you out and are taking advantage of it. Yes, you could be card dead, or they could be on a rush and it's actually legit, but this will be apparent in the fact that they make moves on everyone, not just you.

The other thing is that tables tend to go through cycles. As people get busted out and new people join, a table will go from loose to tight, to loose again, and everywhere in between. If you have found that you are not getting the most out of the current table style, ie a tight table and you are playing tight as well, it might be time to get up and find a looser table. Yeah, you probably will learn more playing at the tougher table, but I'm more interested in making money and learning afterwards when I analyze my play.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the bigger question is, what is the table like for you? If the table has a couple of spots that you have reads on, and you think you can make money off of them, stay. If they table is too tough, leave.

Other good players having a read on you is going to happen--they are good players. You can use that to your advantage as well by shifting gears. Keeping an observant player off of your game is A LOT easier then trying to 'fool' a person who doesn't have a clue (which is near impossible).

If you think a few spots on the table may have your number, look for a spot to change gears and exploit their 'locked in opinion'. But, more importantly, if there is a few fish that are feeding the table, stay and take their money.