bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello miley & welcome to CC! This is definitely a big hurdle for some to overcome, learning to play a good TAG (tight aggressive) style.

My suggestions to you, because you are new to this forum are these:

1. When posting, keep all 1 liners "i want too" & "can you teach me" together in one post. Making separate posts for 1 line answers is not the way to increase your post count.

2. You need 65 QUALITY posts to qualify for the freerolls on this forum. Both of your posts above will not qualify as such. So try to be more specific in your questions/requests. Example: "I am also having a difficult time with aggression, it seems I rarely play my big blind (bb) because it is raised often and I fold it most of the time. Can someone offer some advice?".

These types of specific questions will get you more responses and the types of responses that will help you.

3. As a new member, you are limited to 7 posts per day. By making two posts, that are each one liners, you are wasting valuable posts.

4. Read through these message boards before asking questions:
Strategy, Learning Poker, Golden Archives, General Poker, Hand Analysis
Chances are your question has already been asked and answered, or you will find information that will help you to improve your game and help you understand how to post on a poker forum.

5. Try the search feature on the forum to look up information you are seeking.
Storm, this may well be the best relevant blog comments I've seen on Cardschat....you rock. I am relatively new as well and actually struggled to find my way around ... I had to request help and everytime got it. Maid Marion was a big help when I had couldn't even "see" the words I was typing into a blog because of Internet Explorer....once changing over to Mozilla FireFox, there is no problem. But, mostly, I simply am not that good with maneuvering around new sites & computers.

Thanks again for your very clear and helpful info. My best, Wally (Aka bullish06)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey mate, after going through ur problem, i think these 3 videos i found at web might help u in developing a strategy of ur own to tackle 50NL games...
Hope this be helpful to you...

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416978_when-be-aggressive-texas-holdem.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416990_optimal-short-stack-play-poker.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416976_countering-table-style-poker-strategy.html
Hey, thanks for the great video links...helpful mate, Wally

G

gomango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youre not playing only 1 person youre playing 7 to 9. I agree with raisinfg 5 times the big blind only if you can afford losing it so its bankroll mamnagement too but youre playing to win so find a table that yopu feel comfortable at if not leave find another. I know it sounds alittle crazy because you cant just go to ano0ther table in tounement play but just give it a shot.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm unsure if the request is to learn aggression overall or specific to the level you're currently @ (or want to be @).

For me, a nit, I'm striving for TAG. My skill set is predominately for live Limit play...online is wholly another arena for me. Although some peeps detest freerolls, I'm using them as a learning tool...it gives me an opp to practice concepts that I want to learn &/or improve, doesn't involve a buy-in expense & if I get KOed I dont really mind since my goal is to grasp a specific concept (vs being ITM or @ the Final Table or Take it Down).

I've been practicing being more aggressive (which is a major hurdle for a nit or this nit anyway) in the freerolls & it's developing into more of a habit which I carry over into the buy-in games. I'm continuing to use the freerolls to practice other concepts as well. Your skill level may be beyond this but it's just a thought. GL.

J

j_unatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the problem is in like your repost you talk about starting to open up your calling range that is always a problem. That leads to tilt and just more bad play because you are bound to lose pots for the most part when you do this. If you want to be more agrresive open up on your opening pre flop raise range you must be first to enter the pot. Late position is also very important you want to have postion after the flop if they check to you this is really not a time to let go you should be firing continuation bets most of the time here the board does not matter.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey mate, after going through ur problem, i think these 3 videos i found at web might help u in developing a strategy of ur own to tackle 50NL games...
Hope this be helpful to you...

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416978_when-be-aggressive-texas-holdem.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416990_optimal-short-stack-play-poker.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4416976_countering-table-style-poker-strategy.html

These ^ aren't related to playing something like 50NL.
It's basic stuff for tourney-style play.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, thanks for the great video links...helpful mate, Wally

TY for the kind words! I'm glad my post was helpful to someone, makes it worthwhile then! MM is a great woman - if you've received help from her, then it is good help & you've gone to one of the right people. GL!

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hy guys

Thanks for all the replies.

My post is mostly related to preflop blind stealing/defending and avoid being call'ish preflop just to fold to his cbet on the flop.

The below hand is a step further in the hand. I felt so bad to fold here as I initially saw it as a blind steal (therefore didn't check his stats beforehand) but his reraise size made me sick. What do you guys do here?

Seat 1: HERO ($30.18 in chips) Seat 2: anoma ($26.92 in chips) Seat 3: SBlackbird ($50.68 in chips) Seat 5: ctof44 ($9.17 in chips) Seat 6: erojane ($28.41 in chips) Seat 8: Daugvar97 ($17.10 in chips) Seat 9: zuGeee ($28.55 in chips) Seat 10: zooqcac ($44.09 in chips)
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
ANTES/BLINDS
SBlackbird posts small blind ($0.15), The blind have been denied by player, erojane posts big blind ($0.30), DEALING_HOLE_CARDS

PRE-FLOP
Daugvar97 folds, zuGeee folds, zooqcac raises to $0.90, HERO calls $0.90, anoma folds, SBlackbird folds, erojane folds.

FLOP [board cards: 4H,AS,6H ]

zooqcac bets $1.35, HERO raises to $3.90,
zooqcac
raises to $10.25,
HERO folds.

SHOWDOWN
zooqcac wins $9.55.

I only had 33 hands on him saying vpip 12 - PFR 0 3BET 0

Is the mistake here that his stats tell me he is not a stealer = I fold? (dispite his posiion).

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry guys - in thand above I have A J offs.

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not completely without aggression. This was just based on my feeling as he has previously floated and stolen on the turn. Made up my mind that I would barrel all streets - so I would obstruct his float bet

zuGeee posts small blind ($0.15), HERO posts big blind ($0.30), DEALING_HOLE_CARDS
HERO: 7c, Qd

PRE-FLOP
zooqcac folds, followmePL folds, eesaa folds, c0in_Fl1p folds, iceaicnd folds, t montana x folds, mmnbcc folds, BAD-BOSS57 folds, zuGeee calls $0.30, HERO checks.

FLOP [board cards: 6H,4H,JD ]
DEALING_FLOP
, zuGeee bets $0.45, HERO raises to $0.90, zuGeee calls $0.90.

TURN [board cards: 6H,4H,JD,3D ]
DEALING_TURN
, zuGeee checks, HERO bets $2, zuGeee calls $2.

RIVER [board cards: 6H,4H,JD,3D,9C ]
DEALING_RIVER
, zuGeee checks, HERO bets $9, zuGeee folds.

SHOWDOWN
HERO wins $6.08.

Again I made the mistake to decide my actions before checking his stats. Afterwards i could see they supported my play...but.

Is it at all a good play? - felt like a big amount to risk compared to win sum. Just felt it was needed.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 (4A6 board)
What are you defending your blinds for? Give them up. The other guy has to be stealing a really high frequency of the time (i.e. you need lots of hands with him to know this) to even bother and even then it's still not a huge mistake to just give them up.
What did you flat his raise with? The only hands I think this is correct with are AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QJ, the sort of hands that are going to dominate a wide raising range (Q9s, KT sort of hands), even then you're playing a very tricky game in flatting his raise simply because he has position. - Edit: I just noticed you posted that you had AJ, so I don't mind the pre-flop call. I'm a bit undecided about the merits of a c/r on the flop compared to just calling, but c/r is ok. When he raises it's an easy fold. You didn't do anything wrong here, just got unlucky.
If you've been giving up your blinds a lot your best defence is to 3bet light occasionally. Most opponents will give you some credit for a hand.
With all of that said I still think just folding isn't a big mistake, if you're wrong about how wide his stealing range is or he's going to call and play well post flop, or he's going to realise what you're doing and 4bet light, or you call and play badly post flop (you're OOP it's very hard to play well post flop when OOP), it's going to cost you a ton of money but giving up your blinds will cost you very little.

Give up your blinds and steal someone else's, only play back at a chronic stealer occasionally and when you have a good read on him. If you do adjust to him, make sure you know what you're doing because playing back poorly is expensive.

Hand 2 (64J flop)

"I made up my mind that I would barrel all streets" this seems kind of spewy.
The turn and river cards are bad cards to be barrelling on. If you think he's floating then fire another barrel, it's a lot harder to proffitably float the turn than the flop (less chance of improving your hand and your opponent's range is a lot stronger). Firing 3 barrels is kind of excessive here, in my opinion.

W

wetyeti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was just starting out I knew I was gonna lose money for awhile. So I gave myself 'assignments'. One of my aggression assignments was to raise regardless of hand strength. For instance, I told myself that every time I am in late position (cutoff +1, cutoff or button) I would raise and c-bet with any face card or any heart over a 7. Of course I lost money but it helped show me the power of position, image and helped me learn to read the board a bit. I paid attention to % of hands played and pots won.

Assignments like this really helped me get over my tight/passive play style.
Oh yeah, I would 20 bucks on each lesson. Deposit 20 bucks and play it til it was gone using a basic BRM plan.
Get creative, make up little experiments for yourself. The 'assignment' idea helps keep the play style more important than the money. Kinda...

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any comments on the hands above?

I have been passive for quite some hands and then a monster turns up - but then, wtf! a raise. The raiser is an extreme limper preflop but seems to fold to cbet where he hasn't hit good. He has VPIP 48%! and folds to 65% of all cbets - over 90 hands.

Seat 1: HERO ($42.37 in chips) Seat 2: zooqcac ($31.87 in chips) Seat 3: putifo ($73.92 in chips) Seat 4: CCXF ($16.46 in chips) Seat 5: chickibumbum ($11.70 in chips) Seat 6: jey1980 ($27.79 in chips) Seat 7: arK_x ($18.96 in chips) Seat 8: iceaicnd ($30.41 in chips) Seat 9: walid.sakka ($11.48 in chips) Seat 10: TY-144 ($5.70 in chips)
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
ANTES/BLINDS
TY-144 posts small blind ($0.15), HERO posts big blind ($0.30), DEALING_HOLE_CARDS
Dealt to HERO: Kd Ks

PRE-FLOP
zooqcac folds, putifo folds, CCXF folds, chickibumbum folds, jey1980 folds,
arK_x raises to $6.45, iceaicnd folds, walid.sakka folds, TY-144 folds, HERO folds.

SHOWDOWN
arK_x wins $0.75.

`???????

B

bluffmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any comments on the hands above?

I have been passive for quite some hands and then a monster turns up - but then, wtf! a raise. The raiser is an extreme limper preflop but seems to fold to cbet where he hasn't hit good. He has VPIP 48%! and folds to 65% of all cbets - over 90 hands.

Seat 1: HERO ($42.37 in chips) Seat 2: zooqcac ($31.87 in chips) Seat 3: putifo ($73.92 in chips) Seat 4: CCXF ($16.46 in chips) Seat 5: chickibumbum ($11.70 in chips) Seat 6: jey1980 ($27.79 in chips) Seat 7: arK_x ($18.96 in chips) Seat 8: iceaicnd ($30.41 in chips) Seat 9: walid.sakka ($11.48 in chips) Seat 10: TY-144 ($5.70 in chips)
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
ANTES/BLINDS
TY-144 posts small blind ($0.15), HERO posts big blind ($0.30), DEALING_HOLE_CARDS
Dealt to HERO: Kd Ks

PRE-FLOP
zooqcac folds, putifo folds, CCXF folds, chickibumbum folds, jey1980 folds,
arK_x raises to $6.45, iceaicnd folds, walid.sakka folds, TY-144 folds, HERO folds.

SHOWDOWN
arK_x wins $0.75.

`???????

its raise or fold and he is committed for an all in, no matter what read you have on him id of still either called or most likely raised and put him all in, at least if he had AA there was nothing you could of done

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Insta shove.

KK, 60bb deep, don't fold pre-flop. Ever. - 200bb+ and you can think about it but it's at most a tiny leak to never fold KK pre-flop until we get into purely unrealistic stack depths.

Villain had a VP$IP of 48%, even if his PFR was like 2% over 90 hands it's still a shove.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn the strategy, move on to practice, acting aggressively at low limits. Over time, already at the level of poker intuition, you will feel how to play against aggressive players with minimal losses.