Switching Ranges?

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm now getting to a point where I'm taking the holistic approach and thinking in ranges instead of indavidual hands. I'm currently attempting to memorize my 3 bet & 4 bet ranges and deciding whether to go for a linear range or a polarized range.

Then I thought, why not both?

I could flip a coin before starting a session to randomize which range to apply. Wouldn't that make it harder for regs to predict my range?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's better to use two at the same time then it will be better to mix these two types and there will be a great result good luck at the tables

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm now getting to a point where I'm taking the holistic approach and thinking in ranges instead of indavidual hands. I'm currently attempting to memorize my 3 bet & 4 bet ranges and deciding whether to go for a linear range or a polarized range.

I could flip a coin before starting a session to randomize which range to apply. Wouldn't that make it harder for regs to predict my range?
Normally this depends more on position, e.g. polarised from BU and BB but linear from SB and lose other positions

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, as Ranges relates to a set of hands that either you or an opponent might hold in a particular situation you must consider all your opponents’ possible holdings. Inexperienced players think their opponents can’t have a particular hand when they should be looking at all their opponents’ possible hands as the basis for their decisions. Given a Poker Range is a compilation of hands that a player could have at a particular point in a hand and as the hand progresses, you can narrow down a poker range based on the Betting action, Betting pattern, Betting Size, Player type and the overall whole situation. For example, pre flop note the actions of your opponents in order to refine an opponent’s starting hand: Pay attention to your opponent’ pre-flop action what is his/her position, playing style, (limp/raise/3bet etc.), what the frequency of that action, delete any hands that shouldn’t be in the mix and consider if any factors would skew their play. IOW play the player and the whole situation and make sound deductions given the information you have so far in the hand and any patterns that you have noticed. Having said all of this, yes it is good to be unpredictable however, against decent opponents you will probably be put into difficult decisions post flop if you try to play too wide a range for the early positions especially when they see your exposed hands ie too wide a range from EP and or too many bluffs. This will result in being called down and put into too many negative EV plays and then you will have to tighten up your range against the good opponents who will see you adjusting your range and trying to mix it up. So IMO you asked about a linear range or a polarized range as like most things in poker "It Depends" on the whole situation I like to map out the table for the first few rounds, try to identify the weak and strong opponents ie who is over folding from the blinds or who is calling out of position with too wide a range be more exploitative and use the hand range as a basis and adjust my range based on that type of information. IE if the whole table is limping alot I have a wider range from early positions especially with hands that have good post flop playability and could get someones stack if I hit the flop hard or get a good draw and it won't cost me more than 10-15% of my stack to continue. I use a linear range on the good regs the TAGs the thinking players that can fold, read ranges and know what you are representing given the texture of the board if it is better for you and a more polarized range on the Calling stations those that won't fold and can't be bluffed just make a solid hand and value bet them. So good luck hope this helps.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I’m not sure if I got your questioning but I will provide you some sample:
My 3-betting range from MP (for 6-MAX tables):
99-QQ: I will 3-bet these pocket pairs more often than calling, although I will be calling down in a low frequency.
Now KK, AA and AKs I will never be calling from MP. Hands that I would be doing the same of 99-QQ from MP are KQs, ATs-AQs and A2s-A5s.
Once in a lifetime I will be calling from MP small pocket pairs 22-88, for their equities will not realize so good as the others.
There is also AKo and AQo, that I will try to balance calling in a low frequency and 3-betting in a high frequency.
Of course all of this look very schematic but it’s a model of how I get things done from this specific position and scenario: what will make me change if I do 3-bet or call preflop are the opening raisor from UTG and the players ahead in the CO and BTN.
Does your subject involves something of that nature?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
What level do you play at. Micro players are usually fish don't understand or care about ranges. Good players do, but they are usually regs playing for higher stakes.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think that the opponents are the first parameters to consider in a hand, like @okeedokalee said and @LOKIE77 has explained it well.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
not enough information. If you played against me, and I'm a weak player. Loosely aggressive, you can say you would change your whole strategy😁 Probably I'm wrong, but often the questions here are good but....they should, as it were, give the correct answer, which will give a 100% guarantee. As far as I begin to understand, all the gain comes from the .exploitation of the opponent Or am I mistaken ?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
not enough information. If you played against me, and I'm a weak player. Loosely aggressive, you can say you would change your whole strategy😁 Probably I'm wrong, but often the questions here are good but....they should, as it were, give the correct answer, which will give a 100% guarantee. As far as I begin to understand, all the gain comes from the .exploitation of the opponent Or am I mistaken ?
Yes, all of the value comes from having the experience to mix GTO with Exploitative Game. We are going to play GTO, but we are going to deviate to exploitation depending on the character of our opponent.
If you are loose agreesive, e.g, I will let you hang yourself upon your on rope, because a loose aggressive many times is unbalanced to play many hands and to bet more than it should.
A Tight Agressive is unbalanced because play less hands and bets less, being more inclined to check and fold.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There’s no such thing as a 100% guarantee. There are no certainties, only opportunities.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What level do you play at. Micro players are usually fish don't understand or care about ranges. Good players do, but they are usually regs playing for higher stakes.
This...at micro stakes nobody cares what you have or what you do.

If they like their 65o ...then they're ignoring your 3-bet and going all in.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This...at micro stakes nobody cares what you have or what you do.

If they like their 65o ...then they're ignoring your 3-bet and going all in.
Nobody means a lot of players. It means all the players which is evidently untrue. There are plenty of good players at the micros, I can quote dozens of them that are here with us in the forum.
15 years ago there were lots of whales going all-in preflop with air. They continue to exist today, but they are fewer, and when we see an action like this, players jamming air preflop, most of times is a tilt.
However, I appreciate that you put your opinion and you are sincere. We are all here to contribute to the forum and for others, so it’s always good to have someone that cares and posts here.
Thank you and feel free to disagree and reply, with respect and attention;
Best regards!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, as Ranges relates to a set of hands that either you or an opponent might hold in a particular situation you must consider all your opponents’ possible holdings. Inexperienced players think their opponents can’t have a particular hand when they should be looking at all their opponents’ possible hands as the basis for their decisions. Given a Poker Range is a compilation of hands that a player could have at a particular point in a hand and as the hand progresses, you can narrow down a poker range based on the Betting action, Betting pattern, Betting Size, Player type and the overall whole situation. For example, pre flop note the actions of your opponents in order to refine an opponent’s starting hand: Pay attention to your opponent’ pre-flop action what is his/her position, playing style, (limp/raise/3bet etc.), what the frequency of that action, delete any hands that shouldn’t be in the mix and consider if any factors would skew their play. IOW play the player and the whole situation and make sound deductions given the information you have so far in the hand and any patterns that you have noticed. Having said all of this, yes it is good to be unpredictable however, against decent opponents you will probably be put into difficult decisions post flop if you try to play too wide a range for the early positions especially when they see your exposed hands ie too wide a range from EP and or too many bluffs. This will result in being called down and put into too many negative EV plays and then you will have to tighten up your range against the good opponents who will see you adjusting your range and trying to mix it up. So IMO you asked about a linear range or a polarized range as like most things in poker "It Depends" on the whole situation I like to map out the table for the first few rounds, try to identify the weak and strong opponents ie who is over folding from the blinds or who is calling out of position with too wide a range be more exploitative and use the hand range as a basis and adjust my range based on that type of information. IE if the whole table is limping alot I have a wider range from early positions especially with hands that have good post flop playability and could get someones stack if I hit the flop hard or get a good draw and it won't cost me more than 10-15% of my stack to continue. I use a linear range on the good regs the TAGs the thinking players that can fold, read ranges and know what you are representing given the texture of the board if it is better for you and a more polarized range on the Calling stations those that won't fold and can't be bluffed just make a solid hand and value bet them. So good luck hope this helps.
Wow, I loved this explanation mate! :love: Very good work, it thrilled me on a good sensation that I cannot define in current English words. I think everyone should pay attention to what you have written, although this could be a long text for many, it is worth the effort of reading and reading again, taking notes of your main points developed during your argument construction.
Thanks for such a valuable insight.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, all of the value comes from having the experience to mix GTO with Exploitative Game. We are going to play GTO, but we are going to deviate to exploitation depending on the character of our opponent.
If you are loose agreesive, e.g, I will let you hang yourself upon your on rope, because a loose aggressive many times is unbalanced to play many hands and to bet more than it should.
A Tight Agressive is unbalanced because play less hands and bets less, being more inclined to check and fold.
thanks. But it’s not possible to play in a balanced way yet ... I often make decisions on emotions. Maybe practice will change this ?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
thanks. But it’s not possible to play in a balanced way yet ... I often make decisions on emotions. Maybe practice will change this ?
If you are humble enough to admit that you have flaws on the emotional side of things, most certainly practice and time will change it.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are humble enough to admit that you have flaws on the emotional side of things, most certainly practice and time will change it.
thanks. I also hope that practice will change my behavior at the poker table after some time. Otherwise, as we say (money down the drain)😴

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whether you take a linear or polarized 3 and 4 betting strategy has more to do with the formation (Positions) that people are raising from. I'm not sure where you're coming up with the idea that you "Decide" to take a polarized or linear strategy or that you should flip a coin to determine which you use.

For example in a position like SBvBU you should have very many flat calls (Or none at all until you get to lower rake stakes) thus you should be 3-Betting with a linear strategy. In a set up like BBvSB however you'll be incorporating many more bluffs into your 3bet range so you will be ending up with a polarized 3-betting range.

If you get to a point where you understand how ranges interact with each other and what hands villain is likely misplaying you can the go on to developing a little more of a free styling strategy where you can bet more linear vs a player who overcalls 3-Bets for example as that would mean you have more value hands when called, and less bluffs as we don't want to get called when we're 3Bet bluffing and we already know we're getting called too much.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think in this game, the main reward is to learn how to think strategically. Plan the game, money. Build strategies. Find out how your opponent thinks. These are such simple life skills. , rewards or losses it would be nice to know

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I really like this topic, for myself I get a deeper understanding of poker .... Thanks to everyone who shares a real understanding of the game.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean by a linear range? And in general I think it's just better to exploit the fish any means necessary (usually by removing most or even all of your bluffs from your range in favour of value).

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you mean by a linear range? And in general I think it's just better to exploit the fish any means necessary (usually by removing most or even all of your bluffs from your range in favour of value).
That's basically a linear range. Your range will include hands that go from medium strength up to strong hands but you wouldn't have any bluffs.

If you take a look at opening ranges from pretty much any position that's a linear range, It includes every hand from ones that are just above break even to ones that are very profitable but won't contain bluffs.

S

ShishaKong

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
That's basically a linear range. Your range will include hands that go from medium strength up to strong hands but you wouldn't have any bluffs.

If you take a look at opening ranges from pretty much any position that's a linear range, It includes every hand from ones that are just above break even to ones that are very profitable but won't contain bluffs.
Correct