Stud strategy

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all.

I`ve started playing stud for a change and I would like some advice if possible guys. I understand the general theory of the game - it seems a lot to be down to observation (what cards are on view) and more I guess.

What I struggle with at the moment is starting hand selection and when to chase/ bet.

So the key questions are...

1. If u r delt, for example, AK9 rainbow, with no other Aces or K`s showing, would you call?
  2. If u r delt, for example, 3 suited cards, say 3,7,10 would you call/ raise. (assuming no more than 2 of your suit showing)
  3. If u r delt 7,8,9 rainbow, would you check/ fold, assuming no more than 2 of your cards showing.
Any other advice would be helpful.

Ta.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Depends on the action in front of me, players left to act, reads on the table, other player's upcards etc
2. See 1
3. See 1 ;)

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a good general strategy (obviously, isn't true all the time...but for beginners, it's solid): If you can't beat what's showing on the board, it's almost never wrong to fold.

Play only kwality starting hands, and don't fall too much in love with your draws.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Depends on the action in front of me, players left to act, reads on the table, other player's upcards etc
2. See 1
3. See 1 ;)

So it`s no different to any game of poker? I suppose the advantage you have here is u potentially have more information as you seem more cards face up as the action moves on? Therefore, using the normal % play, it should be more accurate?

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play Stud/8, just know that in that game you will often know where you stand on 4th street, where in regular Stud you really don't know until after 5th street.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all.

I`ve started playing stud for a change and I would like some advice if possible guys. I understand the general theory of the game - it seems a lot to be down to observation (what cards are on view) and more I guess.

What I struggle with at the moment is starting hand selection and when to chase/ bet.

So the key questions are...
  1. If u r delt, for example, AK9 rainbow, with no other Aces or K`s showing, would you call? fold
  2. If u r delt, for example, 3 suited cards, say 3,7,10 would you call/ raise. (assuming no more than 2 of your suit showing) fold
  3. If u r delt 7,8,9 rainbow, would you check/ fold, assuming no more than 2 of your cards showing. check
Any other advice would be helpful.

Ta.

These are all marginal hands. The thing about stud you have to remember is that it is a game that tempts you to chase. You will do great in it if you do not chase and play only great starting hands. PP are great to start with. Next time you play count how many times a chased str8 or flush wins vs. 2pair or a set. I think it will enlighten you.