Stud High/Low - where to play and how to play (advice requested)

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically I decided I wanted a change from my usual NL Holdem freerolls and Limit and Pot Limit Omaha High/Low, so I decided to have a go at the Stud High/Low tables on pokerstars - just the $0.04/0.08 tables, mind, I'm not aiming to drop my bankroll playing a game I'm not that good at...

Anyway, armed with a few salient tips from Super System (like go for the low, back into the high, and remember to look for scooping potential), I also tried to spot the fish... and while I could hardly claim to be the experienced person at the table, there were a couple of players who stood out even to the relatively untrained eye as fish. As a result, despite not having much experience at Stud High/Low, I came away with a small profit (4xBB from a 20 minute session).

Now there are a few things that I'd like peoples responses on. Firstly, where are the best places to play Stud High/Low online? PokerStars looks to be a reasonable starting point, with 0.04/0.08 games upwards, although above 1/2 there was nothing when I checked except a small 30/60 game.
I may also have to try the Paradise Poker tables, because although they only had a $0.50/$1 game going, their format at this table has no Ante, so you can potentially play a very tight game indeed, and yet it doesn't mean nobody sees a flop, so there are obviously some very poor players on there.
Does anyone else have other suggestions of where's good to play Stud High/Low?

The other aspect is what tips people have for those learning Stud High/Low. I've been playing using the advice in Super System, which pretty much recommends making sure that your hand has good low potential, and preferably something for high potential (even if it's just a couple of cards of the same suit). On fourth street, if you're going for a low hand, and you catch paint and your opponent doesn't then generally you want to abandon the hand to any raise. The number of paint cards that an opponent catches is then key, and not chasing when heads-up and only likely to catch one half of the pot. That said, the players at the 0.04/0.08 stakes are so bad, that some of them are worth calling with just a baby 2 pair and no low - because they'll still be in with a bust draw and no low... those same players think no low and 2 pair is a raising hand, which I found pretty amusing (although I didn't get the chance to play against them with a genuine hand when they were doing that this time).

Anyway, if there are any Omaha Hi/Lo players looking for a change, then you could do worse than to try Stud Hi/Lo - the strategies aren't miles apart, since you're still trying to minimise your chances of chasing for one end only and looking to get situations where you'll scoop, but I haven't seen that much in the way of tips for it online so any advice people have got would be appreciated...

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing seven card stud (any type) yet you don't find many tournaments for stud. From what I hear, King Solomon's poker has some stud and even draw poker there. royal vegas has some as well. The site that I've noticed that has very little stud games is Pokerstars. You can register for the stud sit n go and it will never fill up to get the tournament started. I think we should have a sit n go of MTT stud tournament in the near future.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The PokerStars Sit-n-Go's don't seem that well thought out for non-Holdem ones... I mean, what's the point in having the 45-person Sit-n-Gos in the other poker variants when you never see them with more than 5-6 people signed up for them? On the tournament side, I haven't a clue where to look, and to be honest I'm more interested in the ring games first off.
On the ring game Stud side, PokerStars is OK, having some micro limit, and some higher limit games.

On which variants of Stud to play, I'm about $50 down from playing normal 7 Card Stud (rule 1, remember seeing down a hand can cost noticeably more than a holdem one, so a run of outdraws or missed draws can cost you a lot more than limit HoldEm will - I had a downswing and ran out of the money I had at the table before hitting a hand), which doesn't make me that keen on the non-split variant as yet, but I do like my High-Low split games... I'm getting Ray Zee's High-Low-Split poker book, which I'll compare to the bits in Super System, hopefully that will give me a clearer idea on the strategies I should employ...

Absolute does have regular Stud freerolls, although with their usual minimal number of places paid, so while they're practice at the game they're unlikely to result in winning any money.