Stud - Can't pair my AA or KK or QQ

A

americanthief

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm starting to question myself as lately i've been losing a lot with big starting pairs. Here's an example.

I have A on board and A 7 in the hole. Low player brings in and I raise it in hopes to go heads up with a player that wants to gamble. Its like I'm announcing to the table, " I have Aces !"

So usually one or two players stay in. I have A on board so I lead the betting. I bet out until the river where I'm stuck with only Aces. I lose to the caller who paired his pocket Jacks.

I also tried checking 6th and river when I don't pair my aces but that only gives free cards and control to the pocket jacks which they bet.

I find in impossible to fold my Aces when my opponents don't have a pair on the board and I'm very certain I have the best hand until the river.

I'm losing a lot of money on these hands and it sends me on tilt having the best hand called down. Pairing AA KK or QQ seems easy in a game like stud, but I don't know what to do now. If I fold, I'm folding the best hand until showdown. If I bet and don't pair up I lose. If I check I'm giving free cards to my opponent.

What should I do?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you are betting every street you will be ok in the long run, think of it like this, if that same player keeps making the mistake of calling down with a weaker pair, over time you will be making a profit, you should be focussing less on the result and more on the decisions. if you are making correct decisions the results will sort themselves out.

this type out outdraw is common in stud especially in the low limits, sometimes if you have an opponant who you knoew will call till the end, if your aces havent improoved and his board is starting to look scary you can slow down a bit. but yeah in that situation, it sounds like he got you with a pair on 7th street, so he put in 6-7 bets with the worst hand, so you played it well and you should be happy....

i think worrying about and focusing on the results is something that can influence a player to go on tilt. so yeah, focus on your decisions, get them correct time and time again, and you will notice that after a year you will have a very healthy bankroll.

A

americanthief

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With so many poker forums I wasn't sure how to choose, but I'm really happy with the great advice I got from my first post (not counting my intro)

Thank you for the excellent reply. I know what to do now.

A.T.