Stuck in the Big Blind...

BabyShoes

BabyShoes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often find myself in the BB, and unsure what to do...

A. If everyone folds to the small blind who calls, what cards should I raise with? What cards should I avoid raising with?

B. What do I do if I am re-raised? What cards would I defend?

Thanks! :p

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They could be bluffing just to get you to fold if you have decent cards call if its not way out there dont bankrupt yourself tho.

A

artsmith1296

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thought is you have already paid to see the flop. Why risk more unless you have a stellar hand? You will have position after the flop which is always a good thing.

aquadad

aquadad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has it been the sb's tendancy to complete the bb with atc just trying to catch a flop?

W

wasda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm in the BB here, I will usually check with most cards, it is unlikely that the SB has a good hand, he is probally just doesn't want to give up his SB that easily. If I do have a strong hand I will raise there, I really don't like slowplaying from the BB as either the SB will out flop you, or he will just fold his weak cards. Usually here I'm just trying to steal the chips he put in.

BabyShoes

BabyShoes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys!

aquadad, this is just in general, but I guess you're saying that this info will help determine your move? Got it. :D

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most things in poker, there is no easy answer.

It will depend on the structure of the game (NL, PL, FL)

It will depend on the blinds relevant to chip stack.

It will depend on your read of the SB.

The list goes on!!!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ther are many things into consideration like game structure, how opponent is playing, how opponent has played SB before, stack sizes, blinds.

Taking all things into consideration, if its folded to the SB who just completes, I'll usually raise in the BB with ATC that I would normally raise on the button. I have position on my opponent and a SB completing doesn't always equal strenth on their part. They can very well be trying to see a cheap flop with ATC.

I'm more likely to make this move on SBs who are weak/tight and limp/fold to my BB raises often. I'm likely to make this move with a much higher range of hands; maybe late MP-button range. However, if they like to limp/call my raises a lot, I'll tighten up my raising hand range, see more flops cheap, and try to out play them afterwards. It all depends.

And for the OP: I like cute breasts, too.

graziosi

graziosi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play in position like you would with any other hand unless the blinds are too high

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play in position like you would with any other hand unless the blinds are too high

So when the blinds are high, we should be looking to play our bb oop? or just fold it instead of checking?

I'm really tight when it comes to blind vs blind as i seem to lose a ton when playin in the situation, so i'm happy to check behind i huge range and am generally only raising pairs, a,9+ q,t+

JCW78

JCW78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its someone youve been playing with a while u should know how often he folds his sb to a raise. if he's timid and backs down i say raise with any two if the blinds and antes are worth taking. if u get reraised u only call with someting decent.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stuck in the Big Blind ...

I'm conservative right in this respect. So I raise with cards really good type AK, AQ, AJ, Ax, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, XX, in these cases increased 3 times.

I Call with any pair or has any chance of following the same suit, play safe, play tight. But please note that much depends on how arriving in the big blind and betting on how many players have called

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ring game with full stacks, I'll raise every time the SB just completes. I like my chances because I have position and most of the time the SBs hand is weak so they'll fold preflop (or even better call preflop and fold on the flop UI).

Players who limp from the SB are generally very profitable.

M

markpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets break this down a bit shall we. If everyone folds to the small blind then you have position over him and it is a heads up match between you to. Remember you don't have to always raise. It's been said that if you constantly raise in a heads up match in position you'r likely to gain a profit, but this is theoretically. Practically a lot of people will start reraising with nothing just because they know that you are probably trying to steal the blinds, possibly committing you to the pot.

Now you could raise and try to take it there. Thats your first option. If the player is tight he might fold, and if agressive he might call. Knowing either of the two will give you an idea of how much to bet. A standard bet would be 3XBB. By doing this you don't commit yourself into putting in a huge sum of money if reraised back. Now, if called you have the chance of catching something on the flop or bluffing it out, leaving you fair chances of winning the pot for yourself.

Lets say that your bet was raised. Eventhough there is a chance he might be bluffing, if your hand isn't good enough to call then don't think twice. A lot of people lose money because the feel they are committed to the pot and also because they "have a feeling" that their opponent is bluffing. Well your opponent likes to use that feeling you just might be having to his advantage and come out winning the big load. Be careful what you do here. Sometimes its better to leave the feelings aside and play conservatively just to try and prevent that big loss you might reach.

Good luck at the tables! :)