Is struggling at 4NL mean your a bad player

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rodney why oh why are you still playing 2NL?

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rodney why oh why are you still playing 2NL?

Because I resigned to being a chronic puss. The own age I received at 25 no and then 10np scarred me lol

Seriously though, I will move up... Eventually. Gimme time k?

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thing is, staying too long at 2NL might be problematic - you get too used to mega softness. At least go to 5NL, yeah it is a bit harder but much closer to upper levels as far as game play goes.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
go play 5NL then go back to 2NL and you just realise how bad everyone actually is at 2NL

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would just move up or down accordingly to bankroll. Study your plays. Look for leaks in your game. Struggling doesnt mean you are a bad player. It is how you adapt.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Moved up to 5NL and played 7k hands in total.

As I was afraid of , first 1000 hands I lost 6 buy ins, first 3 was coolerific and another 3 mostly my own fault.

Then I slowly went into degen mode after another 1k hands of shitty attrition going nowhere fast losing another 2 buyins. Well I wasn't really in the mad tilt type and open shoving shit (never) but I was betting in WAY more scare cards on turn (Aces, Kings, 4 to straight, etc) vs anyone with reggy stats . Sick of checking back a lot of bricked turns and look weak. Also started stealing from button 50+%.

I persisted and was actually almost BE after 4k hands. Getting paid off a bit better for made hands and redline actually stayed relatively flat till end of session

In the end, still down 5 buy ins (EV) so lol but certainly better than -8 BI.
Think for now i'll pin this on higher variance play and push on.

Didn't come equipped with 110 BIs for nothing

Most fun I had with NLHE in a while :p

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Moved up to 5NL and played 7k hands in total.

As I was afraid of , first 1000 hands I lost 6 buy ins, first 3 was coolerific and another 3 mostly my own fault.

Then I slowly went into degen mode after another 1k hands of shitty attrition going nowhere fast losing another 2 buyins. Well I wasn't really in the mad tilt type and open shoving shit (never) but I was betting in WAY more scare cards on turn (Aces, Kings, 4 to straight, etc) vs anyone with reggy stats . Sick of checking back a lot of bricked turns and look weak. Also started stealing from button 50+%.

I persisted and was actually almost BE after 4k hands. Getting paid off a bit better for made hands and redline actually stayed relatively flat till end of session

In the end, still down 5 buy ins (EV) so lol but certainly better than -8 BI.
Think for now i'll pin this on higher variance play and push on.

Didn't come equipped with 110 BIs for nothing

Most fun I had with NLHE in a while :p

Lol.

GL, you'll be crushing 5 in no time. DONT TILT

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is normal to have a bit of trouble while you adjust. I had it at all levels and still defeated them eventually. 5NL was by far the worst BTW :D

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL on 5nl Rodney, and sorry for not say hi, never chat when playing unless a cc freebie, but on cash always have chat off.
I think we only share a hand.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering can any of you out there tell me if you think that a person playing on line who is about 30 dollars down at 4NL a pre cursor to them being a bad player when the limits go up. Tell me what you think.

it very likely means you're over playing too many speculative hands or making marginal calls.

U

Ubercroz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering can any of you out there tell me if you think that a person playing on line who is about 30 dollars down at 4NL a pre cursor to them being a bad player when the limits go up. Tell me what you think.

I guess it really depends on how many hands you have played, and it also depends on variance.

Being down $30 at 4nl doesn't mean anything in and of itself. You could be on the bad side of variance, getting money in good and losing. Or you could be calling in marginal spots too much, or you could be trying to bluff your way out of hands you shouldn't.

I have had multi buy-in downswings over the course of 15k hands. I would love to just say "thats variance!" But the reality is I looked at those spots and I was playing badly too. I played poorly and I got unlucky when I was ahead. I guess I'm saying you can be a "good" poker player and still be "bad." The important thing is to recognize when you are sliding into bad habits, playing less than your best game, and consciously look to make changes to improve your play.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance can still be brutal even with a winrate in the double digits. In my last 100k hands at 2nl in stars I have went on a 13 BI downswing at one point.

I'm still hitting 10.5bb/100 hand 12-tabling

Variance is insane. Go figure

Also, you winning 2 buy ins at 10 in 30 minutes means piss. Any fish with sufficient luck can do that.

:eek:

If I was a losing player at 4NL over a large sample, yes, i'd assume I was a poor player.

I might quite poker or join a training site....probably the former.

Poker/Cash games aren't for everyone.

RegHC23

RegHC23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have really looked back at a lot of my plays and I would say that about 35% of them were of my own fault. I will say that 65% of them I was ahead early and then i get my butt rivered when i clearly had the best hand after the turn. Its tough, I mean i guess my issue and i played a lot of hands since then and my problem has been patience. Sticking to the key plays that I should be making has been an issue here lately for some reason. I went for a good month where i played really solidly and saw a profit, but this month I have tanked it totally. I was down 8 dollars on 4NL and then I just got back to my game and cut that 6 dollars in about 45 minutes. I need to be more patient and remember that the good hands are coming and when they do make them work. If they miss especially at 4NL there is no need to get tricky and cbet on a board that a bad player would hit. I have had better luck lately on 10nl. I think that at that level i have concentrated a lot more and played the way that I have taught myself perfectly and not had any issues.