Straddle bet

R

rpadilla33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When do you think is the appropriate moment to make a straddle bet in a cash game?

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When do you think is the appropriate moment to make a straddle bet in a cash game?

If you have a very dry game that is full of TAG players and you want to try and open them up.

I

Inuitinnuendo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Every second of every day.

TIME TO GAMBLE BAAAABY.

./s

only if drinking heavily

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to think it's a bad idea in general, but I see the value in escaping from UTG. If the table is loose I think you're throwing your money away, but if it's a reasonably tight game and you have a deep enough stack I suppose it's not the worst play.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi I don't exactly understand how a straddle works.. i know it means extra ante but how that effect order of play and how does straddle benefit?

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi hi I don't exactly understand how a straddle works.. i know it means extra ante but how that effect order of play and how does straddle benefit?

You post another (3rd blind) which is double the big blind, and you go last pre-flop, after big blind. it just a way to make the game run bigger.

As for the original post, i would recommend to never straddle unless everyone at the table agrees to do so and you are infinite deep so you want to play higher and other players at the table are weaker opponents, if you are gonna be the only one straddling and you dont feel like you are the best player at the table, this will just cost you alot of money in the long run.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks so much for the clear explanation Elty
appreciated

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I straddle all day every day in Omaha cash. Since UTG is an extraordinary terrible position in Omaha cash I never am UTG hence I straddle in Omaha. Because pre flop you don't want 20 cards to act AFTER you in a deck of 52. I also never 3 bet OOP in Omaha and I usually never do all in pre in Omaha.

As far as NLH you straddle in a 9-max table that is deep. You need to be extra skilled to play the straddle and should ask what a straddle is to fool players in a live table.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing, probably the best thing, straddling does for you is when you are playing TAG it makes people have the slight notion that you are a gambler and misread your strong plays. A lot of people hate straddling, but you need to remember you're only throwing away 1 BB and, if you're good at outplaying opponents pre-flop, then it gives you an added advantage.

On a side note, if you're ever online playing 3 or 4 handed then you HAVE to straddle because you are either on the button or 1 away from the button and straddling to steal the last-to-act pre-flop is just way too much of an advantage to throw away by playing last.

K

knp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yo !
Straddle could be big weapon against limpy table, I give my usual example 1/3 nl hl, im UTG 6$ straddle, and lets say 5 limpers with sb + bb in = 36$ pot, so (if u have playable hand) pre flop raise it to 30$, and if early positions folds, usualy you finish heads up with good value in pot. Moreover there isn't no better thing that hit big pair in straddle, and people though u bluffin.