Stealing from the Small Blind...

madtom1337

madtom1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys steal from the small blind with roughly the same range as when you're on the button?

Personally if there's a TOTAL nit to my left, I'm stealing with pretty much anything, but apart from that I'm much more conservative, since opponents seem to take advantage of being in position and call a lot more (intentionally or otherwise - I mean some donks might just be thinking "ooo, I'm on the BB so it's only 2.5BB more to call, and this guy's probably just tryna steal my BB!!"), and 3-bet whores seem to love to 3-bet the SB from the BB...

Haven't seen much written about this, tbh... Lots of archived discussion/articles on stealing around, but not so much on stealing from the SB...

Spill your brains!!

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nail on the head there, it is totally villain dependant. I like to know other things such as their fold to flop cbet % before I raise, as you do not want people floating you/calling down light if you are stealing with ATC from the small blind.

I also like to steal a lot of limped pots from the small blind with a wide range, your ability to do this will vary depending mainly on your table selection and where the fish are, I lose only 5.49bb/100 from the small blind (which is reasonable) yet I play 31/22 compared to 23/17 from the button (6 max). I don't do this aimlessly, but what types of players are doing this, limp/fold fish, high VPIP and fold to flop cbet etc. etc. For example if I have two passive limpers and it comes to my small blind I'm smashing the pot button, most of the time I won't have to see a flop.

Note if I have overly aggressive players to my left chances are I won't be spending too many orbits at that table.

Last edited:
slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use roughly the same range from SB as I use from BTN for stealing, depending on villain. If I have an unknown or cally fish on my left, I usually raise the same amount I use from UTG. I used to use the same raise amount I use from BTN (which is smaller than all other positions for me), but found that a lot of players call from the BB too frequently against that amount to use that amount, and my flop cbets are more effective with a slightly bigger pot if BB loves to call against SB opens. Obviously depending on Villain, I get tighter or looser depending on how they react to pf and postflop steal attempts.

If I find that they're folding a ton in BB, then I decrease to the raise amount I use from BTN to give my steals a better price, and obviously my range gets wider.