Stack-based Bluffing

Have I stumbled on to something?

• Yeah, I think you've got something there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you're delusional.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're a fish, go away.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've recently had some success bluffing not based on the pot and not all-in, but rather based on the size of my stack and/or the opponents stack. What I would like to know is if you were in these positions would you be more or less inclined to think someone was bluffing or think it was worth calling.

First, when the opponent has more chips then me, I will bluff about 40% of my stack. This leaves enough of my stack behind to potentially scare the caller knowing I'm most likely shoving on a later street (which I do usually).

Second, if I have the larger stack then I bluff 60% of the opponents stack. The thought is it is damaging enough that the opponent has to be scared of losing such a high % and also gives the impression that I plan on putting them all-in if I bet again.

When I am extremely short stacked (say 10BBs) I will "bluff" with 40-60% of my stack. Obviously, no one will care about the size of the bet, but I think it makes people believe I'm trying to lure them into doubling me up as opposed to trying to push them off the hand.

Do these sound like reasonable conclusions based on some success, or am I just so much of a fish people change how they play against me, or is it just a matter of I haven't done it enough? Sorry, can't really give figures as I haven't really tracked it with hard numbers.