Shoving with the best of it - play blind?

H

hrt25g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi - Game is No Limit Hold'em, £20 to sit down, blinds 20p/40p

So here is the situation…

I am not able to attend my usual home game in a couple of week’s time because I have the immeasurably good fortune of spending the weekend at my mother-in-law’s house - 250 miles away from the action.

When I pulled out I was accused of being afraid of losing by one of the guys. So my first thought was to choose a random moment, phone them up, buy in and shove blind there and then and see who fancied it – not to win the money but just for the hell of it.

But then I got to thinking how might I do it in a way that gives me an edge? If I go with the formula above at worst I lose my £20 buy in and at best double through, but most likely I will pick up the blinds for a massive profit of £0.60. Not really a very good return.

I will have at least six players to get through and although only one would have any real idea of what hands were better than even money against two random cards, someone is likely to have something – and if not I pick up my life-changing £0.60.

Most will just look at their hole cards and decide to call if they are pretty enough. That means any Ace, any pair, any two face cards and maybe medium suited connectors if they are drunk enough when I shove. However there are at least two guys at the table that might make a much looser call, say any two suited, T8o, K5o etc – possibly worse, possibly even blind!

So what I figure to do is have one player sit out (naturally I have chosen the TAG) and buy me in and then relay my hand to me over the phone. I fold until I hit XX or better and then I shove, hoping to get a loose call.

The question: What does XX or better look like in this situation?

Ps. I know that by sitting and waiting to see what my cards are, I am much less likely to get called so am kind of hoping that I get something ‘playable’ very quickly so it feels more random to the table. Remember I am not looking for a massive edge, simply one that has +EV however slight.

I will do it blind if someone can convince me its worth it!

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm definitely not trying to convince you this is worth it - this is bingo, not poker - but even J8o is better than 50% against a random hand.

You're better off looking for a playable hand in late position to cut down on the number of hands you need to get past than looking for a minimum hand from early position. QJo on the btn is better than ATs utg imo.

gl

H

hrt25g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah fair enough - it was never meant as a serious poker move, just a bit of fun wondering if there may be some way of getting the best of it against a drunken call.

Cheers