ΑΚ shove?

B

Babis VGS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a point if you get 4betted to shove AK in the micros? I mean I shove it like an idiot most of the time and only get called from AA and KK. Why shove it in the first place? As a 5bet bluff because of blockers? (in order for them to fold QQ or JJ). I keep losing stacks and stacks because I face AA when I 5bet shove AK. I play on NL10 zoom.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it depends on the positions. If its BTN vs. blinds or SB vs. BB, you should probably stack off AK as a default in games, where many players are very aggressive preflop, which is certainly the case for 10NL Zoom. However if if was an UTG or HJ open, its fine to fold AK to the 4-bet or maybe call in position, if its a small 4-bet.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As default AKo 4bet-call from CO, BU, SB. 5bet AI vs CO, BU, SB. Without info you can call 3bet from MP and UTG (raise-call). You can fold vs MP and UTG 4bet. Vs big size.

AKo is mostly bluff. Bluff 3bet, 4bet and 5bet. There is a strategy with 4bet-fold from UTG and MP. But I don't like this.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, it depends on the positions. If its BTN vs. blinds or SB vs. BB, you should probably stack off AK as a default in games, where many players are very aggressive preflop, which is certainly the case for 10NL Zoom. However if if was an UTG or HJ open, its fine to fold AK to the 4-bet or maybe call in position, if its a small 4-bet.
Perhaps I agree, a lot decides the position. Well, statistics should be used, if the opponent is unknown, then you can fold, AK does not guarantee a win, nor a micro limit you sometimes see hands worse than AA and KK

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you see a lot of worse hands in the micros. So it actually works very well as 4 bet bluff. The problem is that when you lose you tend to lose big. I try to see flops with this hand.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean I shove it like an idiot most of the time and only get called from AA and KK

If you think, like that, obv you can't go AI even with KK. Only with AA. Stop to play poker. No sense at all.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It is like most things in poker totally player dependent.

10-15 years ago everyone on all the forums were happy to get all-in with AK even in cash games 100-200bb deep. Now it a hand you always open-raise with and almost always 3-bet with. But after that it depends on the read or statistic you have on the player.

If a very tight player raises from early position in a full ring game I often just call the raise.

If a loose player in late position raise it is a clear 3-bet.

When it comes to 4-bets and even 5-bets it depends on yours and the opponent tendencies and frequencies and some times game flow and image.

In general it is of course more OK to push yourself than to call an all-in ( if you don't have the pot odds to do so).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think, like that, obv you can't go AI even with KK. Only with AA. Stop to play poker. No sense at all.

If you observe, that people in your game are mostly calling a 5-bet jam with AA or KK, then why not adjust to, what they are doing? Its not like, you "have" to play a particular hand in a particular way, just because its this or that hand. I am sure, my winrate went up, when I stopped mindlessly stacking off AK every single time, because "LOL its AK, so I have to".

No you dont. There are plenty of spots, where its find to fold AK to a 4-bet or sometimes call and then fold, if you miss the flop. There are also plenty of spots, where its fine to fold QQ preflop, and on rare occations even KK, although typically not at 6-max and 100BB or less deep.

NOORI

NOORI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position. Depending on your position you should adapt to other players.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's player and position and game type dependant.

Is it Full Ring or 6max,
Are you against a LAGtard or a NIT or a fish?
Are you in EP or LP or Blinds?

I've shoved 98s and JTs just yesterday, against an aggro 3/4betting and knowing before the shove they're highly likely to just fold cos they contain air. However, I never shove AK for value really. It's as a semi-bluff most of the time and I'm looking to realise the fold equity.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the early stage of the tournament This is definitely a pass, but in the late stage you need to see which 4 Bets the opponent has, well, in the money already call

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you observe, that people in your game are mostly calling a 5-bet jam with AA or KK, then why not adjust to, what they are doing? Its not like, you "have" to play a particular hand in a particular way, just because its this or that hand. I am sure, my winrate went up, when I stopped mindlessly stacking off AK every single time, because "LOL its AK, so I have to".

No you dont. There are plenty of spots, where its find to fold AK to a 4-bet or sometimes call and then fold, if you miss the flop. There are also plenty of spots, where its fine to fold QQ preflop, and on rare occations even KK, although typically not at 6-max and 100BB or less deep.
As I said, DON'T PLAY AT ALL! Or some other format. First see my post up. Yeah, you can fold AKo. But if you think , like that, with this nity type of thinking, nothing good for you in the cash game 100bb +. You need 4bet. 4bet as bluff, balanced with AKo. You need resteal and 5bet shove with AKo. You can beat only NL2 , if you play, like total nit.

"If you observe, that people in your game are mostly calling a 5-bet jam with AA or KK".
And? What is the problem? You have a fold equity. This is a bluff, as I said. Resteal with AKo, 4bet 33bb. And what? Fold? Call? Fold , because this is mostly AA, KK.

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always fold AK pre-flop.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And yes, vs KK+ you must fold also KK.
AA ONLY :D. We are talking about the "default ", without info. If you did not noticed...

This is my first post:
As default AKo 4bet-call from CO, BU, SB. 5bet AI vs CO, BU, SB. Without info you can call 3bet from MP and UTG (raise-call). You can fold vs MP and UTG 4bet. Vs big size.

Last edited:
C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I think the answer to the question depends on the size of the stack and the 4-beta range of your opponents. AK has very weak equity against all premium hands. If my stack is more than 50 bb, I would not bet all-in with such a weak hand against the 4-bet range of any strong opponent.