Shortstack Strategy (opinions)

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this stragegy is ok to win a little without risk alot...
But it's also a very boring stragegy and it's pretty ABC.
If you want to play a much nicer game you better play an other stragegy with some more veriantion in the game...
It's nicer and you can make more money, but also loose faster if you can't handle it...

A

alexcarlos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
U should not play so many tables at the same time. When u are playing just one table u could analyze better the other players and make more money.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U should not play so many tables at the same time. When u are playing just one table u could analyze better the other players and make more money.
I respectfully disagree.
It is true that your BB/100 may drop the more tables you add but the more hands mean your $/hour rate increses.
So yes your winrate might decrese but your actual profits will increse.
That is all asuming u can comfortably multi table.
Sry for hijack.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I signed up to pokerstrategy before and they have a lot of short stack material. I don't really understand the reason that it has become so wide spread, but it must work somewhat or is it just a new crazyness of the masses?

I notice that a lot of players haven't fully grasped the idea of playing shortstacked. Also seeing the tables full of shortstackers on partypoker makes me further believe that the players don't really know what they are doing because at a table of shortstackers nobody probably has a signficant edge.

The reason people hate shortstackers is that it is impossible to have a fully optimal (pre-flop) strategy against opponents of multiple stack sizes.

And yes, short stackers must die :)

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason people hate shortstackers is that it is impossible to have a fully optimal (pre-flop) strategy against opponents of multiple stack sizes.
It is posible, you just have to 3bet with T9

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
SB ($9.70)
BB ($0.94)
UTG ($3.32)
UTG+1 ($10.07)
UTG+2 ($5.93)
CO ($5.38)
Hero ($1.30)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, BB raises to $0.94 (AI), Hero calls $0.64

FLOP ($1.93) 2:spade: 2:club: T:heart:

TURN ($1.93) 2:spade: 2:club: T:heart: 8:spade:

RIVER ($1.93) 2:spade: 2:club: T:heart: 8:spade: 8:diamond:

Hero shows A:heart: K:spade:
(Pre 59%, Flop 25.7%, Turn 13.6%)

BB shows 9:diamond: T:diamond:
(Pre 41%, Flop 74.3%, Turn 86.4%)

BB wins $1.81

Or limp/call a preflop raise with J9o

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
SB ($10)
BB ($14.43)
UTG ($19.33)
UTG+1 ($8.71)
Hero ($2.09)
MP1 ($9.60)
MP2 ($10.32)
CO ($2.63)
BTN ($14.58)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: A:club:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.40, UTG calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.55) 4:heart: 9:diamond: 5:club:

BB checks, UTG bets $1.20, Hero raises to $1.59 (AI), BB folds, UTG calls $0.39

TURN ($4.73) 4:heart: 9:diamond: 5:club: 2:spade:

RIVER ($4.73) 4:heart: 9:diamond: 5:club: 2:spade: 9:club:

UTG shows 9:heart: J:spade:
(Pre 17%, Flop 18.4%, Turn 11.4%)

Hero shows A:heart: A:club:
(Pre 83%, Flop 81.6%, Turn 88.6%)

UTG wins $4.42

Last edited:
andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you didn't have 20BB at the first hand?
Well... in the anterior hand i was beaten by the same guy and i didn't get the time to rebuy.

That he had T4 and i AK, of course. He went all-in preflop and hit his 4 on the flop.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I signed up to pokerstrategy before and they have a lot of short stack material. I don't really understand the reason that it has become so wide spread, but it must work somewhat or is it just a new crazyness of the masses?

It's simple: sites like pokerstrategy make their winning based on the rake generated by his players, and the sss generates a lot of rake.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching the pokerstrategy videos, i now see how SS works.
And i may end you taking a shot at it again.
Thought it only works, when you have 7 or more players, you can only have 2 SS at the table, if there are any more then 2 you must move to a new table.
You go in with 20 buy-ins, if you drop to 15 buy-ins you reload to 20 buy-ins, when you hit 25 buy-ins you take your winnings and go.

Not bad i remember all of that from the video....

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always semi short stacked (50BB to 20BB) playing 4 tables. You're basically restricted to abc poker without nuances related to elaborate bluffs etc. You can be successful at it because you are going to find big stacks will constantly ask you questions about whether you want to continue in a hand considering the small amount of money you have on the table. At small stakes, most will not believe your answer and will contribute to your funds when you have a hand. You need a degree of mental toughness to be a successful ss player and be prepared to stand up to the table bullies. You must also raise/re-raise with premium hands pre-flop none of this limp with aces, ak, stuff and bet-out as per big stack play on the flop.