Short stack players

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one reason why I buy in short... people automatically think I am a bad player.. well actually I am not a great player but not a bad player.. LOL

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why I buy-in for 250bb. The article did show a positive correlation...right?

Yes, positive... to a point. There was some discussion about outliers and overcompensation.

As for sexual dysfunction and limping, well I think you can guess what their findings were.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if im buying in short,that means im broke. as far as bad player good player..come on PEOPLE stop being so cocky. it could mean amillion things.stop jumping to conclusions. if i dont see them playing like a donk or a fish or an idiot,i treat them like i would any other person that i dont have info on. its like saying that someone is gay cause hes wearing a pink shirt. its just kindergardenish.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not jumping to conclusions. I have seen a few decent short stack players playing the micros on Stars but the vast majority of them are just terrible.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if im buying in short,that means im broke.
You can't buy in full at 2NL broke?

as far as bad player good player..come on PEOPLE stop being so cocky. it could mean amillion things.stop jumping to conclusions.
In a game of incomplete information, you are pretty well served making assumptions until they are proved wrong. Why would we assume by default that someone is good, especially if they are buying in short.

its like saying that someone is gay cause hes wearing a pink shirt.

Or French.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't buy in full at 2NL broke?

In a game of incomplete information, you are pretty well served making assumptions until they are proved wrong. Why would we assume by default that someone is good, especially if they are buying in short.

Or French.
-LOL, LOL AND LMFAO!:D u answered me like i would answer me.good answer. just tried to be the devils(shortstackers) advocate.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure I read an article that showed a significant correlation between stack size and penis size.

This made me lol.

I will say that I get annoyed with short stackers at cash tables and if I am up, I will call them with just about atc. The main reason because imo they are not really playing poker, they are waiting for a big hand to shove it all in, and the worse hand I beat them with the funnier it is, and if I lose, it doesn't affect my stack.

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If one wishes to obtain maximum value than of course 100bb is standard. However there are many reasons a player buys in short and IMO it is a grave error to just assume that they are a bad player.

If they are only playing for entertainment value would be a perfect example. Does not make them a bad player and assuming they are based on their BI could find yourself doubling them up just because it wasn't much to call them.

I used this strategy with reasonable success , however definately never when I cared about maximum value,mostly just played back then for something to do during idle time. I found that a fairly nitty style with quality cards and getting my stack in when I thought to be good. As a result I found that a fair amount of LAG players with a full stack would pay me off with marginal hands compared to mine. I can only deduct that they called me more often SS just for the simple reason It was not much to call and probably wouldn't have as often If I had been playing with a full BI.
SO IMO yeah if you want maximum value a Full BI is mandatory however you have to remember that other players may have a diferent agenda than money so do not make the mistake of discrediting any player based on the size of their stack.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So sCATpoker, you're basically saying, it's not how big it is but what you do with it that counts, right?

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta agree with CM here!

Anyways buying in with a short stack is generally dumb, and i think 99% of "professional short stackers" are bad. Lets all just not be dumb and have bigger penises!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wear pink shirts............

A player doing a SS strategy will be easy to spot, and often easy to exploit. His SS will also always top up when he falls below 40BB (the size I see the most form these guys).

You can play more agro 3 betting when they open OTB to your blind. If you were re-stealing, you can usually comfortably fold to their 4 bet. You can also 4 bet shove lighter when they defend blind vs your button open. But this is always situational.

And I would qualify for a 500 BB stack, if they were allowed.............

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I buy in for 500BB and have a permanent pogo-stick. Should I start limping?

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So sCATpoker, you're basically saying, it's not how big it is but what you do with it that counts, right?

Exactly, guess it goes along the same line as If you can't find the bottom give the sides hell.

D

DonkeyFish

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only a micro level player at the moment but I have found that it can be really profitable buying in for the minimum and ratholing as soon as you double up. When your struggling to pay the bills and don't have enough money to deposit anything to start your roll with and you gotta fight 3 hours in a freeroll for a dollar, that's the only way I would do things until I have at least 20 max buyins for the limit I want to play.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am ok with villains buying in with whatever size stack they want. The ultimate purpose of anyone playing poker is to try to win money, not to play the way you want them to play. If you can't beat short stackers, then that's YOUR problem. And if short stacker villains aren't playing optimally, then is it not a good thing for YOU? It's like berating a fish for making a dumb call. Makes no sense. Anyway, I hope most of you guys knocking other people are profitable players at least. If your strategy works for you, great.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am ok with villains buying in with whatever size stack they want. The ultimate purpose of anyone playing poker is to try to win money, not to play the way you want them to play. If you can't beat short stackers, then that's YOUR problem. And if short stacker villains aren't playing optimally, then is it not a good thing for YOU? It's like berating a fish for making a dumb call. Makes no sense. Anyway, I hope most of you guys knocking other people are profitable players at least. If your strategy works for you, great.

While I agree in part, SS multi tablers are the bottom feeders of poker IMO. They are, at least in the micros, easy to exploit. But taking up seats at many tables just sucks. They obviously have the right to do this, since it is allowed.

I know a number of decent to good players and none of them SS. I have never met a winning player that plays the SS- Or is it like McDonalds??? No one ever goes there, but its always full?????

Me personally, I cant stand SS who take up seats where a bigger stack could be sitting. But I found that just pouncing on them and making their life suck at my tables works to get them to go.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone playing less than maximum buy-in for any hold'em NL game, you have to assume is bad for the most part.

Of course you have some ss "pros" but..these are being catered in capped/short BB games.

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is ok for villains to do it, sure - but if you claim to be a good player and you do not buy in full, there is some sort of misunderstanding there ;)
re: "the ultimate purpose" - i think you may find that is not quite the case often enough, thankfully. those other people are who we make money from :cool:

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is ok for villains to do it, sure - but if you claim to be a good player and you do not buy in full, there is some sort of misunderstanding there ;)
re: "the ultimate purpose" - i think you may find that is not quite the case often enough, thankfully. those other people are who we make money from :cool:

My point is that these guys are playing within the rules of the game as set by the site, just like the fishes are. If they are bad and exploitable then just keep exploiting them. No reason to hate on them.

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Myself i like doyle brunson theory on poker.. I dont care about being credited about being a good player.. I just want to make money at it.. That is all that is important.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Myself i like doyle brunson theory on poker.. I dont care about being credited about being a good player.. I just want to make money at it.. That is all that is important.

Him having written books, and having made numerous strategy adjustments over his poker lifetime, as well as his poker approach is geared primarily to live play, which "theory" are you talking about? Maybe something from SS that he himself has commented on being no longer necessarily relevant in today's game......

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually it was an interview he did.. He was asked how he felt about being world champion.. He answered something he dont care, that poker to him is about making money..

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ones that do not have the autorebuy-on are defenitely bad. You cannot have a decent strategy if you do not have the money to back it up There are players that play shortstack (20 BBs) because they want to and they are doing this because it is the simpliest way to play. They are unlikely to make big mistakes but they are not big winners eather. It is a way to grind but poorly(double up and quit table). Still there are not many regs that play this way because everybody saw that this is a pain in the butt . But if you do not have the right bankroll for a lvl you can do this untill you do.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually it was an interview he did.. He was asked how he felt about being world champion.. He answered something he dont care, that poker to him is about making money..

Context is everything. This now make much more sense.