Set on the flop how to play?

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet pot, never slowplay unless you flop a FH or better IMHO @ 4NL .....

C

coelho2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on who is playing, different opniões always existed but the right will arise at the time that you will act.

Speedexas

Speedexas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
simple example 4nl

pocket 10s on the button.
raise 2.5bb and get one caller.

flop is 2h 7s 10c
he bets out 16 cent
do we flat here or raise.

thoughts?

I prefer flatting because the board is rainbow so he cant have flush draws and probably he is leading with 10x (10 J , 10 Ks) and by raising you are forcing him to fold that (unless hes a fish who cant fold TP OTF). If the turn is 2 or 7 you can slowplay further but if its 9 or J you can raise and get it in. If he TURN'ed nuts than bad beat , nothing special , but on this dry board i always like to just flat. Even if he donks with A Q and turn is Q he will call your raise and maybe ALLIN unless hes a thinking player.

R3DRANG3R

R3DRANG3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would reraise him by how much he raised.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving TPTK on the flop is a MSS thing or if you have a massive fish on the table (and you isoed him) who likes to call this with crap or if someone is tilting badly.
he
If he is such an idiot then yes you can call, your have equity edge there.

He shouldn't open shove against 1 opponent (but he can raise/chkraise your cbet to put pressure on you and maybe get a free card on the turn).

But I have to say that playing draws is tricky for me too and I am still looking for optimal line.
he was a major fish, he played nearly every hand against any raise. Hence why I got my money back when he shove K10o preflop . I'm happy he shoved his draw im just unsure as to if this is a good hand for me to be calling down with

MisterLongFace

MisterLongFace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would flat here all day, esp on that board. very non scary. best case scenario is he might hit an overcard and you can get more from him and sometimes they hit an overcard and go crazy and you really get paid. raising the flop here and getting them to fold takes that away. sure they might have an 89 and hit it, but its pretty unlikely that they both have it and then hit it, you make more in the long run not being afraid of draws on non scary boards.

MiguelC18

MiguelC18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such thing as protection when I am concerned. If there was I wouldn't get raped so often by random garbage which didn't have odds to keep calling.

Theoretically in some kind of mythical long term I should get it all back I suppose, or maybe my grandchildren.

Anyway, the guy bets under half pot and it obviously allows him to draw cheaply. How this is maximizing value from a top set is beyond me. What, we are gonna shove river like total fish?

Basically by not raising you are just begging for it.

BTW if he donks with total air then you are not getting much more money from him.
I agree that there really isn't such a way to protect your hand in a micro stakes cash game:cool: . I would check the flop since there isn't much of a flush draw and bet the turn or raise 2x his bet down to the river. if he is a donk hell let you know right away.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well in the hand i justed played i got aq on the button,

5Q2 rainbow flop j turn, was value betting the shit out of this donk, last card is a king, he checked, i checked behind and he had ak, its such a sickener when they call my huge value bets and hit the river. i got away after throwing half my stack into the pot.

i guess im glad people dont lay down ak against any bet. just need two pair plus to make it worth anything

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i guess im glad people dont lay down ak against any bet. just need two pair plus to make it worth anything

Isn't that the truth....

I have had people call off insane amounts of money with A-K high (many times, people just love A-K, even when they are a 4:1 dog). Most of the time, it works out in my favor.

However, even a blind squirrel finds a nut evey once in a while.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't that the truth....

I have had people call off insane amounts of money with A-K high (many times, people just love A-K, even when they are a 4:1 dog). Most of the time, it works out in my favor.

However, even a blind squirrel finds a nut evey once in a while.

lol nice,

the crap thing was i had just increase my stack by 50% had 2 dollars went to 3 and then this jack ass was calling my huge bets, he was a station so I just wanted max value. it backfired but the old me would have bet that river and gotten crushed

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flat call and get more value on the turn.....no need to raise the flop just for him to snap fold.......his donk bet is value for u anyway

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flat, we're IP and have the eternal nuts with little chance of being outdrawn apart from a flopped OESD, which only forms a small part of his range. He's most likely trying to find out where he is with AJ or some shit - don't tell him!!!

LD, have you ever raised without the nuts? If so, and it's vs a reg, then raising is possible here, but only if they know you're able to do it without an overpair+ ;)

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flat, we're IP and have the eternal nuts with little chance of being outdrawn apart from a flopped OESD, which only forms a small part of his range. He's most likely trying to find out where he is with AJ or some shit - don't tell him!!!

LD, have you ever raised without the nuts? If so, and it's vs a reg, then raising is possible here, but only if they know you're able to do it without an overpair+ ;)

This forum is really helping improve my game at 4nl, which is basically dont bluff! and two pair or better depending on the board.

running average right now, getting unlucky against stations, but im not as spewie as i was

example, check j8 off from the bb
2,4,j rain bow. bet 8 cent and got reraised to 44cent. folded. and because someone disconnected i got to see his cards, he had jack 4 suited.
old me was all in there

Last edited:
LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Loads of times (too much really):
- I raise small donk bets like 90% of the time regardless of my holdings. I am trying to tone it down. It is just ****ing insulting when someone bets 1bb into 10bb pot.
- I 3bet preflop minraises A LOT. It is like printing money, I wish more people would minraise.
- I regularly chkraise or raise the flop with OESD/FD and of course good made hands.

Good luck "finding out" what I raised with here :)

My big trouble has always been when I hold TPTK hands out of position, I get murdered with those. It is pretty horrible :p

Last edited: