Sailing with ease through NL2, but crushed in NL5?

L

ludde2009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm playing zoom on stars, and on my last 70k hands I've steadily won at a rate of 10 bb/100 on NL2.

Now that my bankroll got to 200$, I decided to try some nl5. Played pretty much the same way, but didn't go at all as I planned. I only played 4-500 hands, but went down 12$. Reviewed some hands where i lost 100bbs+ one was just a cooler, and the other was when villain calls down Q high board (i had AQ) just to hit a jack on the river (had QJ).

I decided to stop after that hand, and now I ask you people at cardschat. Do I really need to improve my game for NL5? And, if there are any, what are the major differences to Nl2?

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you do not. Maybe you need to improve your mental toughness though if losing 2 buyins bothers you in the slightest, as it's going to happen a lot! Your problem is all in the sample size, which is obviously meaningless. Try and look how you're doing over 20-30k hands there first. You know yourself you havent even got crushed at 5nl, both of them were coolers!

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm playing zoom on stars, and on my last 70k hands I've steadily won at a rate of 10 bb/100 on NL2.

Now that my bankroll got to 200$, I decided to try some nl5. Played pretty much the same way, but didn't go at all as I planned. I only played 4-500 hands, but went down 12$. Reviewed some hands where i lost 100bbs+ one was just a cooler, and the other was when villain calls down Q high board (i had AQ) just to hit a jack on the river (had QJ).

I decided to stop after that hand, and now I ask you people at cardschat. Do I really need to improve my game for NL5? And, if there are any, what are the major differences to Nl2?

A 2BI downswing over 500 isn't that big of a deal dude.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't worry about a cooler and a bad-beat, nothing you can do about these.

Differences between 2nl and 5nl will be minor but there will definitely be differences.

At 5nl you will probably see less limping, more 3 betting, more aggression in general, and people wont pay you off with 2nd pair no kicker anymore.

Good luck

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same boat as you, now oscillating pitifully around the 0$ line after 23k hands

Up 4 bi then down 8, up 8 , down 8 again

But yes, there is a difference, marginally less fish, more aggression, and prepare to get 3bet trolled more.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing you can stand to improve is your ability to ignore short-term results. Coolers happen, as do suckouts. What's more important than the results of those two hands is to look at how well you played them. Note that this doesn't mean you should look for inferior lines that would have produced better results.