Results without seeing flop

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) widened my opening range from BTN, CO, HJ

2) eliminated set mining attempts when it seems that there might be a stackoff preflop (this requires paying attention to habits of other players)... it sucks to pay a raise and then BTN 3bets and it all goes to crap while I hold 77 :D waste of 3-4 big blinds every time and it adds up

3) 3betting AK systematically inflated the "did not see flop" stats since I got some folds there, impact on the post flop stats is currently unknown since I didn't want to draw conclusions from a small number of hands.

When I get 3bet I work according to the chart [old link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extremely rarely.

Big problem I had today was a 3betting epidemic and it frustrated me a lot. I had to fold a lot of my LP opens and when I got a 4betting hand pretty much every time I run into KK/AA. Horrible.

Despite this my "did not see flop" result was amazing -4.66 bb/100, which I seriously don't understand :confused: I thought the whole folding to 3bets thing was destroying me and I even tightened up my ranges a bit as a result.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My BR is 190$ right now (160$ + 30 T$) so I can play comfortably. I am following a super tight BR strategy (justified since I am a sucky beginner) and do not plan to move to 5NL until I get to 500$ AND can easily multitable 2NL profitably.

bankroll Management is obviously very important, but I think you're way to nitty.
playing 2nl until you have 500$ is a very bad idea imo.
First of all it's going to take years to get there, and honestly, there's not a huge difference in skill-level between 2 and 5nl.

My advice:
It's very important to be able to play comfortable, without being afraid to lose your money, so move up in level when you reach 50BI's for now, and for cash this is already VERY nitty, especially at micros.
So My advice to you, play 2nl until like around 250$, then switch to 5nl, just give it a shot.
If you don't feel comfortable or you start losing like a mad man, you can always drop down.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extremely rarely.

Big problem I had today was a 3betting epidemic and it frustrated me a lot. I had to fold a lot of my LP opens and when I got a 4betting hand pretty much every time I run into KK/AA. Horrible.

Despite this my "did not see flop" result was amazing -4.66 bb/100, which I seriously don't understand :confused: I thought the whole folding to 3bets thing was destroying me and I even tightened up my ranges a bit as a result.

Well if every time you got it in you were against KK/AA that should tell you a lot about your 2nl opponent's 3bet range (it's STRONG) so you beat these people by folding when they 3bet.

Getting 3bet so much in your recent session sounds like just a bit of variance since it seems like they usually had it. It's hard not to overadjust and start 4betting light / calling 3bets when this happens because you think suddenly every one is playing back at you when it actuality you just have bad timing. Their range for 3betting is still QQ+/AK in most cases so smile and fold when your hand sucks against that range (opponent dependent obviously).

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well right now I am at 228$ (206$ + 22 T$) but my win rate still sucks and from what I have read it usually halves when people move up to 5 NL :(

I want to push it up to 10 bb/100 which means I have to find and remove 1-2 more fundamental leaks from my game.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe their 3bet range is not so strong but I was simply unlucky that when I got the cards to play back they had it :D

I did get a few folds but most of the time I got creamed so their 5bet range was KK+ today (usually it is not so bad since I do get into these types of stack off occasionally according to that chart).

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I don't know about that but it might halve, still what gives?
Even if it halves you will STILL be making 1.5x more than at 2nl.
And obviously you have leaks, everybody has them, But why not work on those leaks at 5nl? I really think it can't hurt,
But do what you're comfortable with, this is just my point of view.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the math but the underlying thing is that with halved win rate the variance increases rapidly and as you said I don't want to be insecure (scared money)... I don't trust my fundamentals enough yet so if I get some bad variance and lose 10 buyins that is gonna be a bitch to grind back at 2NL.

I do get 5$ ring tickets occasionally as tournament rewards. So far I have been spending them getting to know Rush (also 5NL BTW) but I decided I hate it since I can't use my strengths there.

So, next time I get a ticket I am going to scout 5NL to see what is going on there :D will nit it up and just observe things until I see what is different. If I lose the ticket, meh, I don't care (they cost pretty much nothing and are a chore to clear).

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright sounds like a good plan!
And stay away from rush indeed, it's a different form of poker, you won't learn a lot from them as they you switch tables all the time, people are even more nitty, and there aren't any table dynamics and stuff.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got my ticket, started scouting out 5NL.

Frankly the only difference I see is that people play draws much more aggressively than in 2NL, otherwise lots of limping with random garbage and postflop spewing by aggrofishes :D

I am completely card dead at the moment so just playing nitty and taking notes.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dunno why but 5NL seems easier than 2NL so far... loads of bad players who stack off super lightly. Probably short term luck though, and of course I burned a ticket by running into KK vs. AA matchup. Luckily I have 3 more :D

Seriously, how is this any different than 2NL?

MP2: $5.33
CO: $6.71
BTN: $5.11
SB: $0.97
BB: $5.19
Hero (UTG): $5.05
UTG+1: $5.58
UTG+2: $5.45
MP1: $4.93

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG with A :spade: K :spade:
Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.20, 3 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.62) 3 :spade: J :spade: Q :heart: (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.46, MP2 folds, BB raises to $0.92, Hero raises to $3.38, BB raises to $4.99 all in, Hero calls $1.47 all in

Turn: ($10.32) 3 :diamond: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: ($10.32) 2 :diamond: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $10.32
BB shows J :diamond: 9 :diamond: (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
Hero shows A :spade: K :spade: (a pair of Threes)
BB wins $9.64
(Rake: $0.68)

The muppet is stacking off with 2nd pair medium kicker :D

Last edited: